THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Westly Richards EJECTOR 577 Dbl For Sale at Cabelas
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Westly Richards EJECTOR 577 Dbl For Sale at Cabelas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
quote:
In the British DR market, "rare" does not automatically equate to value (it isn't a Patternson or a Walker), but sometimes it does. Given condition, caliber, quality, and rarity

Amen...I have a really nice Purdey .369. Near perfect condition, extra finish, pre-war...worth good money...BUT, the same thing in .375 H&H flanged would easily top it on the market by 40-50%. Even with the .369 being a hundred times more rare (23 Purdey guns made in this caliber in all) and it's almost exactly the same thing as the .375 H&H flanged.

Your point is absolutely correct, rare doesn't always mean more valuable (does sometimes). - Kudos for some sensible dialogue being injected into this thread!

I think we can conclude that given the rarity and diversity of pre-war DRs....each and every one is priced based on a gun by gun analysis....there is no "Blue book" so to speak.

JW

Jeff

Having just sold a 369 Purdey. I can assure you that your rifle is worth much more than any equivelant Holland.

It was my understanding that 72 were made and only 25(23) remain that have not been rechambered to 375 Holland.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
She's a beauty:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun..._rifle/577wr_dun.jsp

Dundee, MI Gun Library and "Westley Richards .577" brings up only one item for $57,500.
9#10oz, ought to handle like a quail gun. thumb

Just right for nocturnal trips to the dunnee on safari, and buffalo in broad daylight.

Afraid I'll have to pass though, as I am looking to collect only WR droplocks too. Wink

Thanks for the enlightenment to 400NE.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it really is nice and if we don't stop talking about it I might get "weak-in-the-knees" and end-up buying it.

SAFARIKID hold your ears!!!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Having just sold a 369 Purdey. I can assure you that your rifle is worth much more than any equivelant Holland.

It was my understanding that 72 were made and only 25(23) remain that have not been rechambered to 375 Holland.

Lovu Zdar

Mickey"

Might be the case of late, but a clean prewar H&H with the sculpted reinforced frame has generally been the "Ne plus ultra" of the .375 class guns. I personally prefer Purdeys in general ,but those early "serpentine" reinforced frame H&H guns are waaaaay sexy, only upp'd by Bissell actioned Rigby SLEs of original .470 chambering.

And I believe you are correct in the stats you provide about the guns left still chambered in .369 (.375 PSM "Purdey Short Mag.).

JW

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
400nitro...All I can say is I AM IMPRESSED SIR!!! Thankyou for helping to educate ME and maybe some others too. I will print this post as it is Quite Informative....I just ought to keep the damn thing! Smiler I guess if it was here in my home,i would...we shall see what happens...hmmm,I could just sell the wife's Jewelery instead! Thanks again...
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
quote:
Originally posted by gatsby:
"If it was a BP Conversion, it wouldnt be worth 20K"

Are you saying that the value of the gun is in the rarity of its original proof marks?

quote:
Originally posted by gatsby:
Safarikid,
You made a statement that a rifle similar to yours with original black powder proofs that had been nitro proofed would be worth less than 25% of the value of your gun. I believe that is an arguable statement.

No, it isn't. Re-proving a black powder proof game gun to nitro can enhance value sometimes, but this isn't a shotgun. The reverse is true with double rifles. A BPE wasn't built to be a nitro, and the practice of re-proving them to nitro is a mistake that the market hammers pretty hard. Compared to original nitros, the market discounts BPEs and NFBs substantially to begin with.

quote:
Originally posted by jaz:
Basically this is a BPE, nitro proved to the lightest nitro load

quote:
Originally posted by skb:
The weight of the gun tells the story, 9&1/2lbs.....thats a nitro for black load for sure.

This if factually incorrect.

quote:
Originally posted by jaz:
I have a Holland Hammerless Backaction .577, made for the Nizam of Hyderadab (sic), fully engraved cased, tools, moulde, and HEAVIER.

Well, yeah, a typical .577 BPE. Not rare in any way, and never will be. Apples and oranges.

First off, BPE proof and NFB proof are one and the same, which many don't seem to understand. This rifle is neither, nor is it a transitional piece between BPE/NFB and full nitro - the 100 Cordite/750 grain bullet .577 NEs were already being built when this gun was made.

The maximum Nitro for Black loads for the .577 3" Black Powder Express used a 650 grain metal base (gas check) lead bullet that Eley and Kynoch loaded over 77 and 75 grains Cordite respectively. This rifle was built for the .577 3" Nitro Express Light Cordite cartridge - 83 grains Cordite and a 650 grain nickel jacketed bullet (NFBs were never loaded with jacketed bullets, with a few extremely rare exceptions). This cartridge is a step up from the .577 BPE/NFB.

Some have said that the weight of the piece make it obvious that it is a converted BPE. That isn't true. The .577 BPEs are usually HEAVIER than this.

I wonder how many actually had a close look at the photos. This is an unusual model that Westley made only a tiny handful of, and I can't remember seeing a similar model from another English maker. When you handle one of these, it's obvious that Westley went to great pains to build it as light as possible for caliber - even the photos of the ribs tell that tale clearly - which also explains the cartridge choice. This was built as a special purpose piece - a lightweight tiger smasher. As such, this model would have been rare to begin with, and the crisis precipitated by the errors in the "ban" enforcement a few years later ensured that far fewer were built than would perhaps have been otherwise.

Mickey's use of the term "unique" is spot on. It's a weird duck....strange, unusual, fine, and RARE. I can remember seeing three in 20 years, but I think I may have seen the same one twice. Moreover, this gun appears to have been built to a high standard of quality and looks to be in fine shape.

In the British DR market, "rare" does not automatically equate to value (it isn't a Patterson or a Walker), but sometimes it does. Given condition, caliber, quality, and rarity...well, I'm sure SafariKid has a number in mind. True comparable sales are too far between to have any utility. Only a willing buyer and a willing seller, both well educated on the piece, can set a final price. While I make no argument as to it's market value, it's silly to compare it to something that isn't comparable at all, as has been done here. Apples and oranges.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think we can conclude that given the rarity and diversity of pre-war DRs....each and every one is priced based on a gun by gun analysis....there is no "Blue book" so to speak.

Jeff - Well said.

Re 369 Purdey, I agree - I think they would bring more than an H&H 375 Fl Mag -and the one's I know of would have a higher $ value on them than any high end H&H I've sold or seen sold.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose I have learned a couple of things from this topic, mainly if a long standing member posts a gun for sale in an open forum, don't respond except with platitudes. Nothing was said here that is derogatory toward the gun.It was pointed out that it was light ( a rarity) and it was not a droplock. The biggest faux pas was to mention "the price". I have read many on firearms for sale in this forum that end in "4K too high IMHO" or "I have seen a sharp increase in the price of these guns of late"
Why can't we compare apples to oranges? It is done all the time in the gun trade. It is "rare" to have two or more guns which are truely compararble, there is always some variance in price,condition, caliber, provenance ect. Should I buy a new Merkel or a British double, apples and oranges, 9.3X74 or Brit bpe, apples and oranges, nitro or black, apples and oranges, 369 Purdey or... apples... It is through these discusssions and comparisons that facts are learned about each firearm and an imformed opinion can be made about each one. Look at what has been learned here even by the owner

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have not sold this rifle, could you please private message me so we can communicate off line. I think I know this gun and I did see it at SCI with Cabela's

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Enough fighting, the rifle is well overpriced in anyone's eye that knows about real rifles.The rifle is very nice but won't bring near that in the market today.

Posts: 11 | Location: NH | Registered: 12 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Enough fighting, the rifle is well overpriced in anyone's eye that knows about real rifles.The rifle is very nice but won't bring near that in the market today.

When the rifle is sold, we'll see if you have egg on your face or not - time will tell.

Safarikid, please keep us in mind as to the status of the rifle in question. There seems to be a lot of blow hards who know more about the resale value of rifles than George at Champlins or the managers of H&H, Westley Richards, etc...

I just love getting a good laugh at the arm chair quarterbacks out there THESE DAYS!

P.s., SAFARIKID, pleae PM with the name of your restaurant in Savannah - Savannah is one of the places my wife wants to visit sometime soon and I would love to visit your shop for a great meal and a great conversation on DRs.

V/R,

Paul

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bottom line on this is that the rifle is a very very nice rifle. Some one will buy it. No one has to have a light .577, it is simply something that some one will want.Face it guys this is nothing more than very expensive toys we are talking about. When the buyer and seller come to an agreement and they are both happy with the arrangement then the numbers after the dollar sign is their arrangement and really doesn't matter. If it sells for 150k good and if it sells for 5k then good too. I think that every body is getting a little over serious over this. My suggestion a little whiff of prozac all around for the AR crew.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
els,
Count me in, a prozac followed by a couple of ounces of Lagavulin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is that there is only one of these for sale on this planet at the present time. With such a unique item in extremely short supply (one only), no one can know what it is actually worth until a sale takes place. It's not like a Rem 870 that we can look up on gunbroker.com and see what 20 of them sold for last week.

Recently a guy in my neighborhood sold an old piece of crap house. I thought it was worth $175K. The real estate agent thought that someone might wander in from California high on coke and pay $225K or $250K. But the house sold to a local for $325K and the buyer is delighted to have gotten it.

So what does any of us know about the value of a unique item until it sells?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me guess.... someone on a Rocky Mountain high.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe. But 5 miles from here they opened a new subdivision. Phase 1 lots were $1 million each. They sold 14 on the first day then closed phase 1.

Any guess as to what phase 2 lots will cost?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500 grains
It was said as a joke. I am from California, which should explain a lot of things.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
safarikid

For as unique as your rifle is, ever thought about using one of the big firearm auction houses that attracts more than US buyers?

If somehow you could dig up some of its history, that is the kind of thing that drives auction prices up.

Just a thought.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not forget to this page! GunsAmerica Gold Members CLICK HERE to Bookmark.
HELP | GA Gold Info | Wishlist | Estates | Pay Invoices | Privacy | Terms/ Cond. | Transfer Dealers | New Sellers

Westley Richards 577 NE

Category: Double Rifles (Misc.) GA#: 976670428
Model: Westley Richards 577 NE Seller #:
Price: $36,500.00 Seller: Robertwebster
Return Policy: 3 Days
Shipping Terms: Actual Cost

(See boxes below to contact)
Description: Being offered is probably the most comfortable to carry and shoot Westley Richards 577 Nitro Express that I have personally encountered. This is a light weight gun most likely used in India against Tigers, Elephants and buffalo, as well as its time in Africa. It is beautifully cased with it’s turn screws,cleaning rod and other accessories.the bullet weight is 650 grains as opposed to the 750 grain due to it’s light weight design. A delight to carry as opposed to others considered in its class.

Has this already been sold? If so, Click here*.
*Only use this if you've called and the gun is unavailable
Seller Information:
(Please Tell Them You Found Them Through GunsAmerica)

Click Here to Mail This to a Friend

Posted by Danlfraser:
"Enough fighting, the rifle is well overpriced in anyone's eye that knows about real rifles. The rifle is very nice but won't bring near that in the market today."

Isn't this the very same rifle offered on GA 11 months ago for $36.5k? A bit steep indeed in my book!

Well said Dan!

-Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Jim,That is a good point i may consider as a friend of mine just sent off a Rhoda 4 bore to one.I passed at 45k and it ended up getting ,i think over 60K !Yes,he is happy and I am not! My Westley may be overpriced to some,but all it takes my fellow double gun owners and "wannabees" is someone who wants it enough to pay the price,that Simple! It is as 500 grains pointed out,THEE only one like it for sale and she is a Beauty to behold and A WESTLEY with some really neat features!All my intention was is to spread the word she is for sale...well,mission accomplished!
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
safarikid

For as unique as your rifle is, ever thought about using one of the big firearm auction houses that attracts more than US buyers?

If somehow you could dig up some of its history, that is the kind of thing that drives auction prices up.

Just a thought.

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Sent PM,but Daqridude@aol.com is the way to get me direct...Tom
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
If you have not sold this rifle, could you please private message me so we can communicate off line. I think I know this gun and I did see it at SCI with Cabela's

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thankyou again 500 grains,aggreed it is Unique,special and the only one I know of at this time....Now,where is this picture taken,i want to go there!
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
My guess is that there is only one of these for sale on this planet at the present time. With such a unique item in extremely short supply (one only), no one can know what it is actually worth until a sale takes place. It's not like a Rem 870 that we can look up on gunbroker.com and see what 20 of them sold for last week.

Recently a guy in my neighborhood sold an old piece of crap house. I thought it was worth $175K. The real estate agent thought that someone might wander in from California high on coke and pay $225K or $250K. But the house sold to a local for $325K and the buyer is delighted to have gotten it.

So what does any of us know about the value of a unique item until it sells?

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
PM sent...Contact is Daqridude@aol.com...Tom
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, no offense was intended. I've handled that rifle before but haven't had the chance to fire it. It IS a beaut,by I'd prefer a droplock 3"/750 for that price personally, but good luck!

Sincerely, Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I believe that 4 bore got around 27500pds at auction and after probably 15-17% off of that he did not get 60K.Enough again, the rifle is very nice and rare but it won't bring that money.

Posts: 11 | Location: NH | Registered: 12 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess that sums it up; The rifle is worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.

I would say this thread has come full circle.

Good luck SAFARIKID!

JW

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by danlfraser:
I believe that 4 bore got around 27500pds at auction and after probably 15-17% off of that he did not get 60K.Enough again, the rifle is very nice and rare but it won't bring that money.

Is 27,500 pounds Sterling almost $54,000 USD?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by danlfraser:

Why would there be 15-17% off of the selling price? The Buyer pays the premium at auction, doesn't he?

Even if it was a commission, 10% would be the going rate on 50k.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A sale price of 27,500 GBP, plus the usual hammer and VAT on the hammer, at current exchange is about $64,000USD cost to the buyer. The hammer is paid by the buyer, not the seller.
--------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct...

...But for us "Mericans the VAT does not apply...When everything gets sorted out...But that nasty 6% duty and FET (11%) does make for a serious addition to the hammer price.

In the words of my 5-year-old...."Are we there yet?"...

Man, If I were a dead horse, this thread would have made me plenty sore!!!

Get it!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari Kid
Don't be silly, comparing the sale of a 4 bore to that of a 577 is like ahh.... apples and oranges.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safarikid

Congratulations, I hear your 577 is sold. thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I hope for 100K...Just makes the rest of ours go up!

Good for you SAFARIKID!!!

JW

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Wemmer:
And I hope for 100K...Just makes the rest of ours go up!

JW

Well said.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say that Tom made somebody happy. He got what he needed out of the gun and since someone bought it, he must have been happy with the actual selling price. It was not 100,000 but it was definatly enough for Tom to sell it. Soooooo everyone should be happy. Tom ,I am glad you got what you needed out of the rifle. It is a beaut.

Posts: 929 | Location: southern illinois | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Wow,word travels fast...The African Drums are beating loudly! Smiler Sold is when the phat lady sings(and I get paid!)...Now that the LlL .577 Westley is back home and I am now booked (unexpectantly) for Tanz Sept 3rd for 4 Buff,I am having serious second thoughts!?!I would love to nail 2 buff with it and 2 more with my 700 and 4 bore?!Decision,Decisions! Thanks for the Kind words friends!

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
A HAPPY BUYER DROVE IN TODAY AND PICKED HER UP....A SAD SELLER WATCHED IT GO!....NOW WHAT DO I GET?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the sale!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A HAPPY BUYER DROVE IN TODAY AND PICKED HER UP....A SAD SELLER WATCHED IT GO!....NOW WHAT DO I GET?

A 2 Bore??????

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

For your next rifle get something like a Pre-War H&H Royal Deluxe in 500/465...Perfect condition...

....and when you sell it we can all "marvel" at the BS that will get said about what some might say is the Ne Plus Ultra of the DR world...

...Glad you moved her!

Jeff

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thanks PALS!...2 bore?!?,naaa,might kick to much-ha!