New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just picked up my 1st DR!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My new Chapuis 9.3x74 UGEX just arrived and I picked it up at New England Custom Gun. The stock dimensions happened to be just about those of my custom shotgun stocks and the DR comes up like a good shotgun. The wood is better than the pictures and Dale Nygaard was a pleasure to work with, and of course, it's always a joy to find a reason to go to NECG!
But it's about 0 deg F here with enough snow and ice on the road to the range to stop me so I don't know when I'll get to shoot it.
But it fondles real well!!

Oxon

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oxon,

CONGRATS..... beer

Be carefull....you will find out that you really like this little Chapuis 9.3x74 and then you start thinking about something BIGGER (450/400, 470, 500)...very addictive stuff.

I think your choice for the "first DR" is probably the best one out there.

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Chapuis! Dale is a good guy, and here's to many successful experiences with your new toy. clap

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Welcome to DRSS Oxon, You are hooked now, so get set for a long run in the wacky world of double rifle mania! beer

................. BOOM............... holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, yet another has answered "The Call of the Double Rifle"!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think everything considered a Chapuis in 9,3x74R is one of the best rifles out there, especially for the money.

Mine has performed perfectly, and I have shot it over 3000 rounds.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
..Congratulations patriot

Call of the double...

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. I'm very excited and can't wait to fire it. I'm a big fan of SxS shotguns and am very impressed by the Chapuis - applying shotgun standard for wood/metal fit, balance, dynamics etc the Chapuis is a very nice gun indeed.

I do owe you guys and this forum a "thank you" - I actually browsed all 100+ pages and looked at all the threads that might be of help in making my decision. Starting with zero DR knowledge, it was a great learning experience!

Now, to find a place to shoot....

Oxon

Oxon

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oxon:
it was a great learning experience!
Oxon

You'll find that you're learning experience has just began!. Just when you think you've got that one licked, you'll find another one that "you've just gotta have!" then it begins all over.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats!
a DR is still my dream Smiler

btw, is there a minimum guaranteed accuracy of the DR? by Chapuis?

Posts: 746 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, congratulations. The 9.3 is an entry level (gateway)drug to more and bigger, and more dangerous, DRs. You can't help it; it is like crack. In a few months, you will be so hooked that you will crave, daily, for a .470, or more. You will wake up at 3AM with sweats, and you will constantly haunt the web, this site, and Cabelas just to get a glimpse of them. Yes, congratulations and welcome to the ranks of the hooked. I am speaking from personal experience.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, thanks, guys - just what I need is another addiction!

In a few months I'll be 70 and I don't know what the REAL guns will do to my shoulder, but so far my well-fitting 12 ga shotguns are still pussycats.

It's friggin' cold here with a foot of snow so I really don't want to try to get up to the range, but dammit, I wanna shoot it!

There is a blemish on the barrel - an abrasion thru the bluing on the left chamber but the gun fit me so well (it comes up like a custom SxS shotgun!) that I decided to just take it as is and, hey! I'm gonna trip and fall and scrape it anyway.

Been working in my shop making some snap caps - used my taper attachment for my South Bend lathe for maybe the third time ever!!

I'm getting tempted to test the "rule of one" (one shot and only one shot can't be located and nobody's gonna do anything about it) and get a pine tree tonight but prob won't - my neighbors ratted me out once already.

Oxon

Oxon

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I keep a BIG piece (24 inches thick, 3 feet long) of cherry log in my basement for that purpose.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congrats, Oxon!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote