Notify
Tools

Interesting Searcy Double
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted
Link

Not interested in starting a pissing match but thought this rifle is interesting for a few reasons. Tons of engraving on it, but also has a muzzle break that I have never seen.

Although the engraving is very high quality IMO I see this as a case of Too much of a good thing. It kind of takes away from the lines of the double. Thoughts?

I would also like to know how effective the break is. Looks like an extension was added to the barrels but not sure. I dont see how a large hole in the end would do much more than make the thing loud!

Maybe Butch will chime in and give us some info on this. It dosent look like his work.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle! But I would be afraid all the large critters would fall down and die laughing when they seen that brake. It is absolutely hideous.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
quote from the ad "NICEST DBL.IN USA"

thanfully oppinions vary.

really dont look like the work that butch does now, but we all have costumors that order something special.

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That rifle was made about 12 to 14 years ago. It is all stainless, and the muzzle brakes were integral with the barrels. That design of brake works very well, and believe me I've tried most out there. Not my taste but the money was.
Also I used the H&H wedge method on this rifle.
This rifle has been on several hunts to Africa.
By the way I've never made anything like it since.
Who can account for ones taste.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch Searcy:

Ain't that the truth...... the guy wasn't a pimp by any chance was he? rotflmo

Very nice piece of wood though! tu2

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Hey Roscoe, why don't you buy that rifle, ans send it to me! I've got a good hacksaw to remove the brakes, and that thing would be a good one for Alaska's coastal brown bears to combat that salt sea air! I'll go along with you and film the hunt.
............................ clap

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Not my style but beautiful nonetheless (except the brake). I like the elephant and would have that alone and without the gold. Wood is beautiful.

While the brake may be effective, I'd have it off and I would love to have a stainless steel action and barreled double.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
quote:

Ain't that the truth...... the guy wasn't a pimp by any chance was he? rotflmo

yuck

Taste or lack there of can certainly not be accounted for. I also can't bring to mind a better case made for classic Engish scroll engraving. On a possitive note the wood is imaculate!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
Hey Roscoe, why don't you buy that rifle, ans send it to me! I've got a good hacksaw to remove the brakes, and that thing would be a good one for Alaska's coastal brown bears to combat that salt sea air! I'll go along with you and film the hunt.
............................ clap

Little too much Bling for the coastal bears...maybe the Russian boars will work better.

Better yet,
I handled a SS Synthetic Double at Butch's shop a few years ago. I'll see if he will sell me that one and we can go to Alaska. You can pack my gear and rub my feet at night.

R

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
We've been hunting with blued and wood for many years. Why swap to SS? It just takes a bit of extra effort to keep them maintained is all.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
We've been hunting with blued and wood for many years. Why swap to SS? It just takes a bit of extra effort to keep them maintained is all.

True, but I like the look of stainless steel and titanium for that matter. The added corrosion resistance is a bonus.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That rifle is not my cup of tea so to speak. I would like a ss box lock with a flat black bake on finish. Maybe a plastic working stock to change out with high grade wood stock when need.
In 400-450
JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:

True, but I like the look of stainless steel and titanium for that matter. The added corrosion resistance is a bonus.

At the very short time Butch was making the all stainless double rifles, with synthetic stocks, I thought seriously about buying one of them. At that time I was hunting Alaska pretty hard every year, and loveing double rifle the way I do, that rifle was right down my alley.

It wasn't the look of it that intrigued me but the absolute utility of the package that drew me. One of those chambered for 375 flanged with a good quick detach scope would have been the nuts in Alaska IMO!

......................... coffee

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
I wish more fine gun makers were using stainless steel, at least as an option.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
eww

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tendrams:
eww

....................... Confused

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That lion looks like it was having a "bad hair day", truly awful. Nice bit of timber.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a muskox who lost the horns Big Grin

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
Link

Not interested in starting a pissing match but thought this rifle is interesting for a few reasons. Tons of engraving on it, but also has a muzzle break that I have never seen.

Although the engraving is very high quality IMO I see this as a case of Too much of a good thing. It kind of takes away from the lines of the double. Thoughts?

I would also like to know how effective the break is. Looks like an extension was added to the barrels but not sure. I dont see how a large hole in the end would do much more than make the thing loud!

Maybe Butch will chime in and give us some info on this. It dosent look like his work.

This is fine example what is commonly referred to as best grade "Huglu-ish" style engraving.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
quote:
That rifle was made about 12 to 14 years ago. It is all stainless, and the muzzle brakes were integral with the barrels. That design of brake works very well, and believe me I've tried most out there. Not my taste but the money was.
Also I used the H&H wedge method on this rifle.
This rifle has been on several hunts to Africa.
By the way I've never made anything like it since.

Did the guy you built it for look anything like either of these independent businessmen?

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote