New
Find
Notify
Tools

470 NE & cast bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone fired cast bullets with gas check in full power loads: Is this advisable

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gu,

I have used the NRA formula ALOX lube on the projectiles with bullets cast w wheel weights to velocities slightly over 2000 fps in other calibers. Showed no signs of excessive lead fouling.

However, the bite of the rifling into the bullet will be different between jacketed projectiles and cast bullets. I would expect that the bore residence time will be different at higher velocities between the cast and jacketed loads ... thus it doesn't seem likely that one would see the rifle regulate to the same impact point.

I'll be interested in reading the other responses.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
try droping the lead casts into a bucket of cold water to harden the out side a bit.

also adding tin or antinomy(spelling)? will harden the cast bullets....

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G,Don't remember if I sent you the max. data from the accuratepowders ballistician.500G. cast W/5744-62.0Max.=18-1900 FPS.I tried different loads up to 60G.but backed down to 50G.as you know.I have'nt got my Merkel back from JJ yet so am still waiting to work with other powders.Using WW or #2 alloy W/LBT blue lube.Linotype not adviseable,although I did use some in 458 to acheive 1800MV.Don't have my data here at home but I did excede 2000 MV in 416-350G.+ 375-250G. All G.C. of course.I could drop you a PM on actual velocities of those 2 tommorrow when I'm at the loading room if you're interested.I think you're primarily interested in the 470NE now though.Have you recovered any of those 470 SP cast bullets yet?I'm going to purchase a set of moulds for the 9.3 also.I'll let you know.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gi,check your PM's.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote