THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Chapuis stock fitment question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis stock fitment question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After putting about 30 rounds thru my Chapuis 9,3 today and getting another nice "knot" just under the top of my cheek bone I been giving some thought to a new stock. At first I thought it might be to not ordering a cheek piece on the rifle. But after shouldering the rifle a few times and dry firing (with snap caps of course) noticed the comb appears to be to high which is forcing me to push my cheek downwards to get the sights in line.
Could this end up being just a simple fix by having a stockmaker remove about 1/4 off the top of the comb? If so, who would you recommend?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Not the answer you were looking for, but until you can have it checked ou by someone who knows how to properly fit you, why not put mounts and a scope on it? It may solve your problem.
I put a 2-7x leupold on mine and an extremely happy I did.
Just a thought...

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Are you using a scope with it?
Obviously, if use are going to use a scope most of the time, then it would be best for the stock to be a tad higher than if set just for open sight use.
Alternately, add a scope and see if you could still get away with removing some timber to make it ideal for open sights yet still suitable for scope use.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not using a scope at the moment and for the time being would really like to keep the rifle bare.
How can I measure for proper comb height? Not aware of anyone around me who builds stocks and can measure.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Load the gun up with snap caps, close your eyes, throw the gun up to your shoulder
and then open your eyes.

That will give you the answer as to where you are in relation to the sights.

You could get any stock maker to take off the top of the comb or you could replace
the sights.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already know the comb is to highSmiler. The bruise on my cheek confirms it every time I run more than about 10 rounds throught it.

But not sure how to reduce the comb. Remove it equally on the top? Angle it? Really at a loss here and would prefer to send it to someone to be altered and refinished but have no idea who.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe

The same thing happens to me when I shoot my 9,3 Chapuis with iron sights, esecially if I am at a range shooting off a bench.

Not quite so bad when shootinging the field.

This does not haen when using a scope.
However, since I most often use my 9,3 with a scope I have not thought about changing the stock.

Whe I shoot the iron sights I just do not crawl up the stock as much, I position my face a little farther back on the stock.

Try that and see if it helps.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really want to keep this rifle trim and light and the iron sights are fine for my use.
Any suggestions on who to contact to get the stock altered?

one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ Perodeau at Champlins in Enid Oklahoma.

However you should be able to find somebody In AK I would think.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Call Stan Jackson here in town. If he doesn't think he can do the job he'll send you to the right guy. But I bet he can 'getterdun'.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IT IS BEST TO HAVE IT DONE LOCALLY BY A COMPETENT GUNSMITH/STOCK FITTER. YOU'LL NEED TO BE MEASURED, ETC. THERE WILL BE UP TO THREE FITTINGS AS WOOD IS REMOVED. WHEN ALL IS PERCEIVED TO BE CORRECT, YOU'LL TEST FIRE IT. ONCE YOU ARE SATISFIED, THE FINAL FINISH WILL BE APPLIED. WENT THROUGH THIS PROCESS W/ A HIGH END BROWNING SHOTGUN. WORK WAS DONE BY TIM GERHARDT, AURORA, CO.

EAGLE ONE

BENEFACTOR MEMBER NRA
LIFE MEMBER SCI
DRSS
MERKEL DR .375 H&H
SABATTI DR .45-70

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eagle One:
IT IS BEST TO HAVE IT DONE LOCALLY BY A COMPETENT GUNSMITH/STOCK FITTER.

EAGLE ONE

BENEFACTOR MEMBER NRA
LIFE MEMBER SCI
DRSS
MERKEL DR .375 H&H
SABATTI DR .45-70

This would be the challenge.....here.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Randy,
You will really be better served by having the stock done while you are present. If you are going to spend the money might as well do it right. We all know how well a properly fitted rifle feels….It is worth the effort IMO. I would see if there are any competent smiths in Washington or some other location that you can fly out to easily. Bring the gun to the shop and see if they can make adjustments while you are there. Then you can leave it to be finished and sent to you. I would guess that there will be people able to do this for you…just keep asking.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything is on hold at the present. Strap on one of my "ice grippers" broke during my daily 5 mile walk on Monday causing it to slide off which caused me to slip and fall crashing to the pavement. Left elbow hit first transmitting the shock to the upper ball of the humerus which fractured. Gonna be awhile before I shoot again.
Considering selling the Chapuis and ordering another with "true" left hand triggers and stock built to my specs.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear tht Randy! Heal up fast!

Breaking your humerus isn't funny! Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

Heal completely and soon!!!!! tu2

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
My cheek was swollen after 4 shots with a friend's Chapuis 470. It did not fit me & the stock comb was too high.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get well Snowolfe. send me your e-mail...I'm here in Colorado Springs, but also have a home in Eagle River.

Eagle One
polarisgrp@aol.com
Benefactor Member NRA
Life Member SCI
DRSS
Merkel .375 H & H
Sabatti .45-70

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking through the Brownells catalog has me thinking of installing a nice adjustable recoil pad.
Could be a better alternative if I ever decide to attach the scope mount.
Thoughts?

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
So how dioes that change the comb height? That's what's been knocking you around,

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you set the pad higher than the butt of the stock it lowers the comb.

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/1...mium-pad-morgan.html

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm That might work.. But it is kind of fugly!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed, but the stock doesnt have to be hacked up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Snowwolfe:

I had my comb lowered by my gunsmith. He did it with a sander, then refinished the stock. It seems this is a very common problem with the Chapusis stock. I have a Agex Brousse in .470 NE.

Regards.. Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you are going about this wrong.

If your cheek is getting bruised, it's because you aren't on the comb and as it comes back in recoil it's hitting your cheek.

The comb isn't too high, it's too low. Your head isn't on the stock. Just like a shotgun, "wood on wood"

If your cheek was on the stock, there would be no bruising, your head would ride with the recoil. This is happening because you aren't on the stock when pulling the triggers and the gun is jumping back and hitting your cheek.

JMO

Brian H
Longmont CO

Posts: 79 | Location: Longmont, CO, USA | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi lone Cowboy:

I dissagree, my cheek is welded to the stock, and it gets wacked every time I pull the trigger. Lets see I shoot my 458 Lott, 458 Win Mag, 416 Rem Mag, 375 H&H and no wack because my cheek is higher off the stock.

I all ready had my comb lowered and it DOES make a difference, there is just to much wood there at the cheek rest. I shoot my buddies WR .470 no cheek rest, no problem.

I learned about this from another AR member, this is NOT the first time this has been succesfully done.

Regards Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok
I"m wrong
I just went and shot mine and the stock is too high
the sights never line up correctly, I always shoot high

It didn't whack my cheek though, but the stock is set up for a scope and not the iron sights.

Brian H
Longmont CO

Posts: 79 | Location: Longmont, CO, USA | Registered: 01 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
A question within a question. If the height of the comb changes from open sights to scoped sights could you put an adjustable comb on, similar to a shotgun. If the comb is bruising your cheek could you put a soft comb on it. Forget ugly for the moment can this or is this ever done?
My Krieghoff came as a multibarrel set. Each barrel has a removeable scope mount. I've shot each with and without the scope. When shooting the 470 barrel set I have to press into the gun to see the iron sights well. I always thought this was a good thing because it never came back and bit me as I was wood to wood tight on it. What could be different?

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Putting a soft comb on the rifle would just compound the problem because you would be raising the comb even more forcing you to push down even further.

PAHunter, since you had your stock altered does it look out of proportion? How much of the comb was removed? Any photos?

Still like the idea of the adjustable butt plate but it just looks hideousFrowner. However it would allow to add a scope at anytime and still have the comb fit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Randey,
I was looking at one of my stocks with out a cheek piece and trying to see what would be the best way to lower the comb. I would mark the area where your cheek meets the gun. Then I would mark (with a grease pencil) I would start small say .250 down from the top of the stock. Now draw a line starting flush with the heel of the stock to the front of the stock, using the mark as a locater. I would keep the original roll over or couture on the top of the stock. My description may not be clear. Hear is a link to a good article on stock fitting. I would go slow on wood removal and try the gun for fit after each round of rework.
http://books.google.com/books?...20the%20comb&f=false

I think you could try doing this your self or provide measurements and have some one like JJ do the work.
Hope you heal quickly and can get back to shooting.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote