THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Hunting with the new VC 500 NE- questions and comments
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting with the new VC 500 NE- questions and comments
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have recently returned from my first hunt with the new VC. I have the following questions & comments.

1- I like the new gun better than the old one. The new one doesn't bang my middle finger like the last one did. It seems to shoot as well or better.

2- I never gave much thought to the round body versus the conventional body. It is MUCH more uncomfortable to carry the new gun in a single hand holding the body.

3- Someone here recommended that I used tennis racket grip cover to protect the barrels from sweaty hands. This works VERY well. Thank you sir for the recommendation. I am sorry I do not recall who this was.

4- The Barnes banded solids work VERY WELL. It was interesting to see the bullet pass through an elephant completely.

5- I have developed a small problem. There is a slight rust area underneath the lever. This is in spite of wiping it down every time. Has anyone experienced this? What is your solution?

6- Both Jeff and I had Doktor Optiks on our rifles. I had removed mine, as I have always done, to transport the rifle. This is the first time that I have ever had an issue. Mine needed adjusting. Any idea what may have caused this? Any solutions other than putting it on a bench?

7- My recoil pad is either tearing or is cut. Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you!

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
In reverse order. Just my experience and opinions:

7- If you get into thorn bush it is entirely possible that a recoil pad can be torn and the tear may look like a cut. I have replaced pads due to this.

6- It is not necessary to remove your red-dot (or scopes) from any rifle in transit. I believe this increases the possibilities of problems, particularly with the red-dots. I have had one of the screws that hold the red-dot to the mount strip and cause problems. Not sure if I did this when assembling it (unlikely) or from excessive vibration in transit. As a result, I now use a drop of LockTite on the screw. My DR goes into a soft take-down case that then goes inside my Nalpak.

5- Never had this problem. Is the rust actually under the hinge or under the lever? I would use some penetrating oil to get underneath the rust (let it soak) and then a soft toothbrush, in either location.

4- We have used the CEB 510gr solids with great results on Ele and Rhino from our 500NE DRs. Recovered bullets appear perfect and penetration is straight line and deep.

3- We carry our DRs on slings. Saves rust and wear on the barrel finish, and much more comfortable and safer.

2- Very interesting observation.

1- Glad you like the new VC. If I get another DR it will be a VC or a Searchy.

And welcome home.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, you have a different VC 500 than the one you bought at DSC a few years ago?

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Larry, I agree, the rounded receiver is much more pleasant to carry. IMO, no need to remove the Doctor Optic in transit. That being said, it should return to zero. Mine does. Don't know where Biebs was during your thread regarding your latest acquisition. My guess is too busy running up his number of posts. Wink Glad you had a great trip.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Biebs:
Larry, you have a different VC 500 than the one you bought at DSC a few years ago?[/QUOTE
Yup. I bought it at DSC this year . Got it after SCI.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LionHunter:
In reverse order. Just my experience and opinions:

7- If you get into thorn bush it is entirely possible that a recoil pad can be torn and the tear may look like a cut. I have replaced pads due to this.

6- It is not necessary to remove your red-dot (or scopes) from any rifle in transit. I believe this increases the possibilities of problems, particularly with the red-dots. I have had one of the screws that hold the red-dot to the mount strip and cause problems. Not sure if I did this when assembling it (unlikely) or from excessive vibration in transit. As a result, I now use a drop of LockTite on the screw. My DR goes into a soft take-down case that then goes inside my Nalpak.

5- Never had this problem. Is the rust actually under the hinge or under the lever? I would use some penetrating oil to get underneath the rust (let it soak) and then a soft toothbrush, in either location.

4- We have used the CEB 510gr solids with great results on Ele and Rhino from our 500NE DRs. Recovered bullets appear perfect and penetration is straight line and deep.

3- We carry our DRs on slings. Saves rust and wear on the barrel finish, and much more comfortable and safer.

2- Very interesting observation.

1- Glad you like the new VC. If I get another DR it will be a VC or a Searchy.

And welcome home.

Mike:

The recoil pad issue started before I went on the hunt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, nice piece indeed!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't worry about finish wear from my hands while hunting, to me that is character... But then, I don't sell guns, so resale is meaningless to me.

As to the recoil pad, that I have never seen.

I leave the trijicon RMR on my rifle, it took some work to zero it, and my experience with dot scopes from IPSC is that they just don't return to zero, you always have to fiddle with them when removed.

Posts: 11032 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry

If the pad is a Pachmayr, they have a brass plate inside. I have had to replace 2 of those on the my 450, and ended up going with a Silvers. Never had this issue with 375 and lower recoiling rifles and all those have Pachmayr pads. I have only seen the issue with the Red pads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting HBH. My pad is red.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry

I believe they(Red) only come in a Med. size. What I think is happening is once they are ground to size there isn't much rubber remaining out side the internal plate. Larger caliber recoil works them and then you see a line torn mid pad, inside(left side of pad).

The Silvers pads are harder to feel and compress, but I cant say felt recoil is noticeable.

Once you get the rust removed, give it a coat or two of paste wax. I do same with my barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Understood the pad damage began prior to your safari. Yes, it looks like what HBH describes as happening to the recoil pad. Have you spoken with Ken about the pad failure?

Truly a beautiful piece.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sent him a pic.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Have the pad replaced with a red from NECG. They come in different sizes and are still really soft. Silvers beat me up.

I personally really like the look of blue worn on the ends of my barrels. After 7 days mine barrels are worn to bare metal where I carry it. And I personally think hate and don't think slings are comfortable at all. However I prefer to hunt the Zim Valley in Feb and March.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get all my red recoil pads from NECG. They're very inexpensive and come in many sizes.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Apart from the pad obviously getting a beating by catching on branches and thorns (just looking at the small cuts and scrapes in the photo and the stock is also getting it's fair share of them too) maybe the pad being used is too large and when grinding down to fit is not leaving enough rubber outside the base plate. There certainly does not seem to be much rubber thickness left on the pad edge when looking at the split.

Not sure what size pad is selected but maybe the stock butt is just slightly too big for say a medium pad and a large size pad has to be ground down a lot to fit?
Then again perhaps it is just the combination of heavy recoil and a soft pad which squishes sideways tearing the thin side rubber - right handed shooter with right barrel shooting would tend to bite into the right hand side of the pad stretching the rubber on the left of the pad where it has ripped?

Get rid of the double and go single barrel bolt, it wont hurt the pad then Big Grin

Posts: 3913 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Is it a limb saver pad or a pachmayer decelerator? Looks like a limb saver which are the softest , and therefore could explain the split.
I've also got VC doubles in 500 and 600 . Both have pacmayer's and have performed admirably.
The 500 has had 40 odd days in Africa and fired 500 rounds, no problems. The 600 has 14 days and about 200 rounds and again as new.
I'm sure Ken will sought it out for you.

Cheers

Nick

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Doesn't appear to be a SILVERS with that rough texture on the face.
SILVERS are my pick. Whilst not reducing much felt recoil, will likely out last me.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eagle27:
Apart from the pad obviously getting a beating by catching on branches and thorns (just looking at the small cuts and scrapes in the photo and the stock is also getting it's fair share of them too) maybe the pad being used is too large and when grinding down to fit is not leaving enough rubber outside the base plate. There certainly does not seem to be much rubber thickness left on the pad edge when looking at the split.

Not sure what size pad is selected but maybe the stock butt is just slightly too big for say a medium pad and a large size pad has to be ground down a lot to fit?
Then again perhaps it is just the combination of heavy recoil and a soft pad which squishes sideways tearing the thin side rubber - right handed shooter with right barrel shooting would tend to bite into the right hand side of the pad stretching the rubber on the left of the pad where it has ripped?

Get rid of the double and go single barrel bolt, it wont hurt the pad then Big Grin

This pad was n this condition before the rifle had ever been in the bush.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it is indeed a Pachmyr decelerator.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the sideplates....very well done.