Tools

krieghoff 308
 Login/Join

posted
does anyone have a krieghoff in 308 if so what loads do you shoot thank you

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roy
Exactly which 308 Krieghoff do you have?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i do not have one but are looking at a classic in 9.3x74 with thoughts of getting a set of 308 barrels for it. thank you

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a .30 Blaser instead, it´s rimmed cartridge or why not a 7x57R or 65R they are both great cals and are good in a Ds.

Best regards Chris

posted Hide Post
chris i have no experiance with those cartridges but quite abit with 308. i feel that it is way underated as a killer and in my guns very accurate plus easy on the wallet to shoot abunch. with that in mind sell me on these other cartridges because i dont know much but do know what i dont know. if that makes a lick of sense. thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair enough, I was just thinking that while spending quite a lot on a new barrel set and having it fitted, the cost for 7x65R brass/rounds is some what marginal.

If you get a 308 Win make sure it´s regulated to a round/brand/loading that you can find easily and that will be around for a long time.

Best regards Chris

posted Hide Post
chris i lost my 1st moose after knocking it down twice with 7mm mag 25 years ago and have not shot it since. i should not blame the cartdrige and think im almost over it.7x57 interests me some. hows the availability and cost for loaded rounds and brass

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I use the 308, 6.5x57, 7x57R, 7X64 and the 30/06.
Of these calibers I like the 7x64 which is similar to the 308 so for a double I would recommend the rimed 7x65R.
OZHUNTER

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are no flies on the 7x57R, loaded with a long 175 grain RN bullet I have shot wildboar, red deer and moose with it.

I am sorry about your lost moose, my pick for a moose hunt is my Ds in 9,3x74R Smiler You see but for smaller game and other hunts the 7x57R and longer broher 7x65R truly shines.

Brass and loaded rounds is awailable from Sellier and Bellot, RWS, Norma and others.

Costs are no higher than for any other quality rounds and brass.

To reload the 7x57R just get a Hornady nr 13 shell holder and 7x57 Mauser dies.

Frankly one of the great benefits with the 7x57R is the very mild recoil and with a ds you are swiftly back on target for a good second shot.

Due note Ozhunters push for the x65R, with a 160 grain regulation load and that round you truly have a 200+ yards Ds in your hands.

My next rifle will be a Blaser 77 with three barrels, a .22 hornet a 7x65R and the 9,3x74R or a 9,3x57R. I will decide after I have test shot the rifle in the x74R version.

Best regards Chris

quote:
Originally posted by roycem:
chris i lost my 1st moose after knocking it down twice with 7mm mag 25 years ago and have not shot it since. i should not blame the cartdrige and think im almost over it.7x57 interests me some. hows the availability and cost for loaded rounds and brass

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off Topic!!

Chris!

You must share your experiences with us when it comes to the K77!! I am trying to get my hands on one in .30R Blaser!!
Not tha easy to find here in Scandinavia!

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

Posts: 95 | Location: Sweden, Europe | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks chris and oz. i hunt with 375h&h,338mag, 45-70,308 but when just shooting i do enjoy light recoil.loading shells to me is like fly tying i like to fish but dont care to tie flys. but will when needed.thats the draw for 308 way cheap ammo to shoot alot.how would 7x57 compare in price here in usa thanks again

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roycem,
I am going to agree with you on the 308. This may upset the 7x57R crowd. I think the 7x57R and the 7x64R are great rounds and would not complain if I had a double in either caliber. You already have lots of 308 brass and experience with loading it. Yes it isn't a flanged case and the purist will cringe. The other side is you aren't using it on dangerous game either. I would think about what you will be hunting with the 308 bbls and have it regulated with good load for that game. I would go with something around the 165 gr bullet loading but you should make the final call. I hope you are planning on a scope. This would make a great light setup to go with your 9.3x74. I think the 9.3x74 should have a scope with quick detachable mount.
Welcom to the forum.
Good luck
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roy
I am in 100% agreement with Bill.
I would love to have a double in 308 as it is one of my favorite calibers.
It would fit in perfect with my 450 No2, 450/400, and my 9,3x74R doubles.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
My light weight double is a 8x57R. I agree With Bill and N.E.450#2 this will not be a DG rifle so why not go with the practicle round.

I have a 7x57 R and it is great and I like the fact that it as well as my 8nn are rimmed but I also have break open guns in rimless cals and they work fine.

Let me throw one more idea out there so we can keep the pot stirred up. I think if I was going to have a set of light barrels made for one of my double rifles I would make it a bergstuzen. Have one barrel a .308 and the other something like a .22 hornet.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
bill,450,ak thanks. i kinda feel that a walk in the woods in alaska is dg taunting. having had more than a few unsolicited mishaps with moose and bear,i truely fear cow moose with calves.so all my guns are dg guns and i feel better with .30 cal and up.enough philosophy.yes 165 grn i like too.as far as optics i have doctor red dot,trijicon reflex,leupold 1.1x4 and will try in that order.wow my finger is sore. thanks fellas. later

posted Hide Post
woops,while we are dreaming ak how about 22 hornetx28guage for shooting chickens.what do you say. thanks

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I say go for it. It sounds a lot like my Ferlach .222 16 ga o/u BBF

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hepp Jimbo, different handle same Chris, I will fill you guys all in when I get some hands on training with the Blaser.

As a norwegian perhaps you are familiar with swedish gun laws?

I won´t get my blaser for quite som time yet.

However I have test shot the 9,3x74R barrel and scope combo, lets just say it´s very percivable.

This is a second hand rifle, but when sent from shop they are come with a test target and a recommended load.

Isn´t that great.

Best regards Chris aka Husqvarna.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo#1:
Off Topic!!

Chris!

You must share your experiences with us when it comes to the K77!! I am trying to get my hands on one in .30R Blaser!!
Not tha easy to find here in Scandinavia!

Jim