THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Help. Info on Kodiak DR history.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help. Info on Kodiak DR history.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
HI,
I have read very good information about the Pedersoli Kodiak break open rifle on another thread.
I’m bought a muzzleloader Kodiak (.58â€) some time ago and I’m writing an article about it for a gun magazine here in Argentina. I’m looking for some information about the development and history of this rifle (the muzzleloader Kodiak).
Any info would help.
Thanks
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Martin, all the KODIAK double rifles, made by D. Pedersoli were comissioned by Col Mike Powasnick, owner of Trail guns Armory, in League City, Texas. TGA is no longer in business, because when Mike died, his heirs sold out the stock, and closed down the business.

The muzzleloading double shotguns were already in stock, at Pedersoli, but Mike talked them into making a double rifle on that platform. He also went to Africa with that muzzleloading double rifle, and killed a very good Cape Buffalo with it! I have a picture of Mike with his buffalo and the .58 cal muzzle loading Kodiak MK III double rifle.

The Kodiak cartridge rifle was also commisioned by Powasnick, and is a replica of the 1878 Colt double rifle, of the same caliber, the 45-70 Gov. The other calibers were brought about later, after other importers started selling them. Navy Arms, and a couple others started with the other chamberings.

I have a Kodiak Mark III .58 cal precussion double rifle, and also a Kodiak Mark IV cartridge double rifle, and have owned several of the kodiaks.

I have some old documents from the 1980s when the Kodiaks were begun, and if I knew how, I would post them for you, if they would be needed in your article!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MARTIN,

Get in touch with ken buch from the forum here

ken@kebcollc.com

he and i had an interesting conversation about these rifles and he can share some info that is not generally known. in fact it is mostly unknown info regarding who actually built these rifles !

it will be worth your while to contact him

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank for the answers!

MacD•7,
Thanks for the info it really helps.
I would love to see the documents but they are not needed. I was looking some info to set the background of the Kodiak rifle. I usually put some historical info on my articles. We will never know how much info is lost because it was not shared! We have to share and write all the information about guns, makers etc. before it is lost forever.

Tomo577,
May I contact ken butch in your name?

Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
tomo577,
I have contacted Ken (very nice guy) but he have data about Kodiak breechloaders only.
So I will have to wait for Pedersoli answers.
As soon as I can get any further info I will post it.
Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
An update.
I just receive an answer from Pedersoli:

"I apologise for being late getting back to you. I took the time to consult the old serial numbers books and I found out the the serial number 1K belongs to
a Kodiak muzzle loading express .50 caliber produced in June 1976 and shipped to Guns Trails Armoury (USA) at the end of the same month.
Historically the name Kodiak first appeared on a firearm in 1879. This rifle was designed by Caldwell Hart Colt, the son of the famous Samuel Colt. Approx 35 of these expensive rifles were built and sold by Colt, in .45-70 Government during the years between 1879 and 1885. "

Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli