Notify
Tools

Advice on first double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
Looking for everyone's input here...

I have gone back and forth on this for years and am now in a position to buy my first double. I'm heading back over in Sept to chase buff again and while my trusty 416 Ruger certainly gets the job done, I want to change it up some. I've thought about a heavy barrel for my Blaser (Biebs knows this) and thought about just using what I have, but what I really would like to do is take a double.

I've always wanted one and have shot a few - Krieghoff, Merkel and Sabatti in various calibers.

I am leaning towards 450/400 or 470 (maybe..ouch.. a 500) and I need to be able to add a scope or red dot in the future or find one with a scope already.

I have a little time and have been scouring online and calling different dealers. I would like to stay under $7500.00 if possible unless I end up buying new.

Kriehoff
Chapuis
Merkel
Searcy

I really don't think I would buy a Sabatti unless is was one of the newer post Cabelas guns and was priced really well. The one I shot was a 470 and fit and shot fine but I still have some doubts about them..

Appreciate all thoughts and advice and if anyone knows of one available along the lines of what I am looking for I would appreciate it...

Thanks!

Scott

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
450-400. No question about that.
I have Krieghoff, Searcy, Chapuis, from your list.
I don't think you can get one for $7500.
I also have 3 Sabattis; all very accurate and reliable. I know, some guys got bad ones but you can't get those any more anyway AFAIK.
Look for an estate sale.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Actually for a very first one, I always recommend a 9.3; easy to get, easy to shoot, and much cheaper than the Nitros. But it looks like you are going to Africa for big stuff.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
My first DR was a Merkel in 500NE. I had exactly zero problems with that rifle and I believe I paid $8,500 for it new. It was the model with upgraded engraving so I don't know what the current market looks like.

Personally, I prefer the 500NE. Similar weight rifle, similar weight ammo, and similar recoil level to the 470NE. Especially if you reload, there is no problem getting ammo for it.

Best bet would be to shoot a few of different calibers and makes, then make a decision.

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I read a lot and asked a lot of questions before my first double rifle. I chose one that was most practical for my budget at the time and the areas I normally hunted. I got a Merkel 141 in 9.3x74R. I have killed a lot of game in the US and most recently Africa. I have no regrets. Recoil is controllable and munitions are easy to find. I have killed Springbok to Eland to Texas pigs and whitetail (and many things in between) at ranges as close as 15 yards and as far as 230 yards. I am glad it was my first SxS double.

I signed for double rifle number 2 yesterday, a Verney-Carron 450-400. Again, I read a lot, asked a lot of questions. Can't wait to use it! Hopefully this one will cure the double rifle disease. Big Grin

Good luck! Nothing feels like a double.

Safe shooting.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
You cannot go wrong with either the 450-400 or the 470ne,at 7500$? you will have to look long & hard but I think you can find a Krieghoff or a Merkel at that price.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess my experience is:

Buy once, cry once.

If you know you will get a London best at some point, there is no purpose to getting something lesser just to get it sooner. Get quality first time, and it will save regrets. Sounds like you already have made up your mind that way with your comments, so far, so good. Each maker has its fans and its naysayers, so you need to look at each gun yourself.

As to caliber; you are not totally new to DG hunting. I’d look at what your plans are.

If you are going to shoot buffalo and maybe a cow elephant then a .450-400 is a great choice. I’d be a little leery of a 9.3 or a .375 flanged if you are planning a lot of close buffalo, but they will work.

If bull elephant or rhino are on your list, a .416 (oddball choice in doubles) or a .450 as a minimum. Really I would like a .470 or .500. Bigger is a lot of weight and for a non professional, a lot of training to be effective with it.

I got a .470. At times I’d like a .500, but the .470 has dropped everything in very short order.

Putting a scope on them is doable, but can be money. It does really ruin the balance. The micro red dots don’t kill the balance of the piece, but allow us without good accommodation to use a double at reasonable ranges. They are also reasonably priced...

Posts: 11025 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out Searcy’s field grade for 10.5k

Brand new, ejectors, nice wood 450-400 I think he has It in the classifieds. Also on his site.

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Blaser Safari Pro in 500 Jeffery with a case of ammunition at $5,500 is starting to look pretty good :-)

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
Ah.. That 500 Jeffery.. :-)

I'm finding quite a few very nice guns in the $9k - $10k range, which may be where I end up. I would love to have a 9.3x74 simply due to its versatility for other game in the US and Europe but I plan to go back to Zim in 2020 or 2012 for elephant so I want to be in a 40cal for now. I think the 450/400 would be an excellent caliber for me and if I bump my budget up I have lots of great choices..

Butch does have a nice field grade on his site for 10.5 in 450/400 and there are alot of Chapuis available in 450/400 at that price point...

I'm a Barnes guy but with the exception of the banded solids, it looks like I would have to move to Woodleigh if I go 450/400 but can stay with my beloved Barnes if I go 470...

Decisions decisions....

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 894 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don’t overlook Sabatti. I have owned three brands and like the Sabatti best. It also grouped better then any of the three. There are good ones out there and finding one isn’t that hard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I like that Cogswell but it is not a full Nitro Mag; it is the baby, 2.5 inch, 375. Nice though.
Prices are down, I see.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, not really adequate for Cape Buffalo.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Anybody else notice, that on that Coggie 2.5, the letter of provenance states that it was tastefully engraved, but I see no sign anywhere, that it was ever engraved. Makes you wonder sometimes, just how good those old records are!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks to have been built on an imported Belgian action, and toplever is quite far to the left.
.......yes, where is the engraving?
New price on Vintage Doubles website $5400

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
450-400 3" tu2 I also have a 470 NE and a 375 Flanged, but for a good all around caliber it's the 450-400 3". tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
My Blaser Safari Pro in 500 Jeffery with a case of ammunition at $5,500 is starting to look pretty good :-)

I think you got screwed Bieber man. Giving me a case of ammo and a mere $5,500 wouldn't even start me to thinking about taking one of those things off a poor sods hands.

barf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it would be foreign to you for sure....hunting with a rifle that you could actually hit something with :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I was in the Cabellas in Northglenn colorado there was a Searcy 470 NE for 7900.

Plain wood but the gun was tight.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1993 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Have a Krieghoff .375 with a Zeiss scope on it and a Krieghoff .470 iron sights. Use and enjoy them both and will be taking both to Africa again soon for everything from warthog to buff.

Very happy with both of them and they both do the business !

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First ,work out what Caliber you want B.Buy New . C. Buy from a big Company, Merkel ,Chapuis ,Heym, Verney Carron etc .
If you have a problem with it you are more likely to get some back up service and recourse ,than backyard individual builders, Talked Up by their drinking buddies ,who don't want to know about it when it going to crap, and have the attitude ''F...K him hes just a customer , and end up with a Safe Trollop no good for anything and cant sell .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Robert, I don't know about the buying new part. Most recent manufacture double rifles have rarely been subjected to enough rounds to cause any wear. Many folks long for a DR, but then find their use of them is quite limited. Like motorcycles, double rifles represent big dollars when someone runs into money problems, and are the first to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to find a used Merkel for $7500 or close..and they are a decent hunting rifle and feel good...A Searcy would be my choice as they shoot so damn good, but doubt you can find one for less than $9000 used, Call Butch, you never know what Butch will do, he may have a beat up hunter for sale, and that would suit me for hunting..I went thru the doublegun stage, hunted with them a good deal, made a bunch of money selling everyone I bought for way more than I paid, it was a booming business for a few years but now its tapered off quite a bit..I like the Mauser 404, Win mod 70 in .416 Rem as well, and they are much lighter to carry all day long..

Both calibers you mention are the two best IMO, the 470 is a better killer, but I always preferred the 450-400-3" or 3.25" was as good..and I never had any trouble killing buffalo and even in 3.5 charges it did its work just fine.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote