New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning double rifle scope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am interested in what the consequences is on a proper scope is for a Browning Double rifle in 30-06, I am going to have New England Guns make a quarter rib for this rifle and I am interested in hearing what everyone is the proper scope for this project and have the following scope on hand a Zeiss Varipoint in 1.5x6x42 with a 56 reticle, Schmidt Bender 3x12x42 4A, and a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T with Illuminated Mil Dot Reticle which only has 3 inches of eye relief at the high end of its power the rest have 90mm eye relief and suggestions or ideas

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by rnb

quote:
1.5x6x42 with a 56 reticle

Hmmmmmm - I'm not so sure about the 1.5-6x42 having a 56mm objective much less reticle but I still think this one is my pick.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'll start with both an esthetic and functional requisite : the scope must be in harmony with the rifle in size, balance and power (anything with an objective > 42 mm is therefore out of the question).

Secondly, let's look at function : long or short range, deliberate or fast action shooting ?

Personally, I use my double 9,3x74R for drive hunting (short distance, running shots) and opted for a typical "Battue" scope with large FOV, a Swarovski 1,25-4x24 (mostly used on 2X power).

If you have stalking / general huntnig in mind, I think you might envision a 1,5-6X42, which come quite close to the mythical all around scope.

BTW, no need to further discuss mounting options, since you already made up your mind to choose the very best, the claw mount Smiler

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Heres a 9.3x74 with a zeiss 1.5-6x42 if you want to know what it will look like.

Heres a photo of my .338 double it also has a 42mm objective but hard to see in this photo.

For comparison the BBF on the bottom has a scope with 42mm objective the others are 32mm.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the #56 reticle is but the 1.5x6x42 would be a great choice.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's #56 reticle, not 56mm objective. The #56 is an illuminated dot with 3 short posts at 3-6-9 o'clock. That's the one I'd probably go with. However, if the rifle shoots very well at 100 yards and beyond (< 2"), like my 375 Heym, I'd use more scope. It's not a Dangerous Game Rifle, and a 30-06 gives you some range. I use a Leica 3.5x10x42 and shoot it at the normal ranges at which I'd use a bolt rifle.

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
However, if the rifle shoots very well at 100 yards and beyond (< 2"), like my 375 Heym, I'd use more scope. It's not a Dangerous Game Rifle, and a 30-06 gives you some range. I use a Leica 3.5x10x42 and shoot it at the normal ranges at which I'd use a bolt rifle.

This portion of Biebs' post highlights differences in shooters' tastes in scopes. He like 10x for a 30-06, I am entirely comfortable with 6x at any range I would shoot game.

I use the 3.5x10x42 on a 243w which I use on smaller targets than I would use a 30-06 for, it is a nice scope if you prefer more magnification.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Biebs for clearing that up I'm not sure why I read it as a 56mm sorry rnb.

This makes the scope even more desirable and less in need of the larger 42mm objective but this scope was built for speed and low light conditions and I don't think it can be beat for that.

This would make a great hog gun wether at 1.5x for driven boar or at 6x at night from a stand. Even at 6x with the 42mm objective you still have the maximum 7mm exit pupil, that would work great for you.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JPK, At almost 58 now, I find the extra power of a scope is a help on longer shots, and to improve target definition.

AK...I first read 56mm as well. The #56 is a great reticle...the posts don't protrude far into the center, so it's almost a clear view except for the red dot. Nice fast scope...it would be great for running hogs or Cape Buffalo.

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After taking in consideration all I have heard from everyone I am going with the Zeiss Varipoint 1.2x6x42 in on a custom built quarter rib and either Talley or Claw mounts. THANKS

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Good call rnb. Some food for thought on your mounts.

I love claw mounts they are the traditional way to go on a double rifle and they work flawlessly. If you notice every one of the guns in my photo's have them.

Once you put a scope on your rifle with claw mounts you are married to it in most cases.

If you have the quarter rib dove tailed for the talley qd rings( like Searcy) then you can simply mount them up yourself and go. You only need to decide between 1" or 30mm and for the cost of talley rings you can have both or more than one scope.

No disrespect for Andre Mertens, Claw mounts in many ways are the best both of my double rifles have them and all my combonation guns as well as severall of my bolt actions but I'm sure you can see he practicality I'm pointing out here with the Talley rings.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like claw mounts very much they are what are installed on my Heym 375 double rifle but that being said I like the idea of being able to mount other optic if the task or the rifle change or there is an advancement in optics and with Talley I can change the guns optics to fit any hunting situation i might find my self as long has the gun don't change point of regulation with the new scope. So I am going with the Talley rings and have the gun regulated for new hornaday ammo.