Find
Notify
Tools

Jeff Rann's 2nd Shot
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
Saw Jeff Rann on "Dangerous Game" this morning and he used a scoped 30 Super Flanged in what looked like a very nice sidelock to take a marginal first shot on a fall brown bear. The first shot was from above going away, and he tried for a neck spine shot and missed. But, oooooh the second shot.

He got an extremely quick and accurate second shot into the lungs as the bear turned to run. It was a great shot and I had to play it over and over - I couldn't believe how quick it was in real time. I question the first shot and the situation could have been a nightmare if the second shot hadn't been so good.

By the way he had a second set of barrels in 500/465 with him - don't know why he chose to use the 30 Super.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Yes, I saw it too. I was most impressed with how quickly he got the second shot in (good argument for a double!).

The first shot was a bit of a press- but I guess the guy is confident. Did you notice his missed on shots 3 & 4?

Did you also notice they had a 2 hour follow up (according to the guide, 1 1/2 hours according to Rann).

Well, he was out of his environment. Notice also how Rann took charge of the follow up, sort of telling his guide what to do "stand here...wait here" etc.

I am guessing he used the 300 Ultra because of the anticipated long first shot. How far was it? At least 75 yards, and notice the 500/465 was not scoped, so maybe no appropriate for a longer shot.

That poor young guide humped the 200 pound skull & skin for hours back to camp- then I understood why Mr. SCI PH of the year Alaska guy didn't guide the hunt!

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looked to me like Rann took charge cause it was his bear and his shot that missed, he did put himself in front to take the charge if one materialized. I don't see anything wrong with that. I thought it went quite well all considered, but of course I have never hunted bear in Alaska so thats just my opinion. coffee

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he had the wrong barrels on from the beginning. Scope or no scope. The 465/500 barrels at 75 yds, yes, yes, yes, but with a poor first shot it would have not mattered what he used, he could have had a 700 N.E.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here.
Yes, the double showed it's strong point with that quick second shot, the trouble begins when guys start thinking "If I miff the first I've got that quick second." Some are thinking about the back trigger (or vice versa if you use the rear-Lt first) before they release the front trigger.
Alot of PH's will tell you a lot of DR users don't connect well on the first shot as bolt guys because of this kind of thinking. It's kind of like the single shot man and the semi'auto man, the single shot guy will most likely take the turkey home every time. So as most of us DR guys do subconsciously is to tell ourselves we have a glorified single shot with an emergency second round if needed. I know it helps me to subconsciously think this way, I shoot that first shot more accurately.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Having trailed wounded bears in similar alders, I assumed it took that long because of the pucker factor - you go real slow. Those type tracking jobs are what got me interested in DRs to begin with.

I did notice that the guide tended to defer to Rann - that's somewhat understandable. However, had I been on that bank I would have told him to wait for a broadside shot - it would have come.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lot of Monday morning quarter backing going on IMO...I only know OF Jeff Rann but he didn't get where he is today being enept at what he does...Maybe some are a little rough in their judgement of him..

You show me anyone who hasn't mucked up a shot and I'll show you and internet jockey playing games.. shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At least 75 yards, and notice the 500/465 was not scoped, so maybe no appropriate for a longer shot.

A 75 yard shot with a 465 isn't a long shot
and should easily be able to be taken with
a DR.

I consider a first shot with a unscoped DR
at 100 yards or more which is where I generally
let them go or get closer.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't see the show. However, I did meet Jeff several years ago in WV at a local hunting show. This was when he was a young assistant hunter and was mmanning a booth. He introduced himself, but never identified himself as a PH. I actually didn't talk to him much since I actually thought he was a "pretty face" hired to hawk their videos, complete with a new safari outfit. I bought a copy of their video called "Safari on the Suvuti". Was I ever embarassed when I watched the film. He was a junior guy working for Selby, and on the film, he double pumped a big bull at about 3 ft to stop it. It may have been the best shooting I have ever seen filmed. I always regretted not talking to him more, and not booking with him before his prices went through the roof. I believe he is the real deal.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art,

At that show, I just happened to be standing there gawking when that charge came up on a video they had playing. Wow, him stopping that charge just impressed the hell out of me and is what lit the fire in me for African hunting and doubles. Should also mention that the cameraman had huge kohonies.

Posts: 201 | Location: logan, W.V. | Registered: 13 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Ray

You are right. I have seen some of Rann's vidoes and he shoots very well. You should hear about some of my many misses or flubs!

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take all of you guys combined and it still wouldn't equal the hunting experience of one Jeff Rann. Simple math..

Just goes to show you've that it doesn't matter how long or how much game you've bagged you can still shit happens moment at times.

It isn't so much that you made a mistake but rather how you recover form it that matters in the long run.

And if you really think about it this is what fuels the fire of our hunting passion. The variables are what make hunting interesting! Cool

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Since I started this thread let me point out that it was about Jeff Rann's phenomenal 2nd shot. I suggested his first shot was "marginal" and I would have advised against it. I stand by that. Have I taken and "flubbed" marginal shots - yes, too many. But I was not questioning his abilities. I liked the fact (and someone pointed this out) that he had the starch to take point on the tracking job. One of my favorite videos is Jeff making a great frontal brain shot on an enormous ele with a H&H 577 - left hand rifle at that.

In the end this was about the benefit of the quick second shot afforded by a double.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looked to me like Rann flubbed the first shot because he had the barrels resting directly on the shooting sticks, causing the rifle to recoil differently from the hard surface and send the shot high. If he had gripped the forend in his left hand and placed his hand on the sticks, the first shot outcome might have been different. Then again, it was a risky shot to begin with. The followup showed the intrinsic value of the double.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I thought that was a good episode also. Sure his first shot went a little high, and I probably wouldn't have taken it, but his second, IMMEDIATE, followup smacked that bruin hard right where it counts. He didn't need to shoot it again, so I'd say that was a pretty good hunt. We all know Rann can shoot from previous episodes & videos.

What really sucked was the guide having to pack out 200lbs of bear carcass on his back! He probably lost weight on that hike!! Smiler

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
I thought that was a good episode also. Sure his first shot went a little high, and I probably wouldn't have taken it, but his second, IMMEDIATE, followup smacked that bruin hard right where it counts. He didn't need to shoot it again, so I'd say that was a pretty good hunt. We all know Rann can shoot from previous episodes & videos.

What really sucked was the guide having to pack out 200lbs of bear carcass on his back! He probably lost weight on that hike!! Smiler

Seems to me that if it required a two hour follow up, the second shot wasn't all that good either.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I watched that episode with my wife and she noticed Jeff closed his eyes before the trigger was pulled or the gun recoiled back. I rewinded and played it slow motion a couple times and sure enough its clear that he shuts his eyes , pulls the trigger, which definitely could account for the missed first shot and missed third & fourth shots. Just an observation that even Jeff might be interested in. Scott

Posts: 414 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You show me anyone who hasn't mucked up a shot and I'll show you and internet jockey playing games.. shocker

Oh Yea!!!!!!!

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Ray:

I have never mucked up a shot . . . ., and I also walk on water, heal the sick with a touch, and can foretell the future! jumping

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't get to see the show, but after reading a few of the posts here and a buddy telling me about it, I'm confused about what he was shooting. I've heard 2 doubles, he shot 1st with a lighter .30 cal (a .300 H&H Flanged?) and then he followed it with a bigger double. And above did I read he was using a scoped bolt action .300 Rem. Ultra for the 1st shot? Please, inquiring minds want to know! banana

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw the video as well. I'm sure Rann is a great shot! but, No PH would let a client take that first shot on DG IMO.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
When I saw it, I was hoping he would not take that first shot because I once took that same shot on a large brownie and screwed it up also - it remains one of my worst memories. In my case the guide said "wait til he turns". I didn't.

I wondered if Mr. Ranns' Guide would have allowed a "typical" client to shoot or was he a little deferential considering Mr. Ranns' status and experience.

I also wondered if Mr. Rann would have taken that shot if the cameraman and pressure to produce a show were not present.

By the way, do you think there were two camera men or did they recreate the side view closeup of Jeff shooting later on?

At any rate Mr. Rann pulled it out of the fire with his second shot. He certainly didn't hesitate to get that one off and it was a great illustration of his skill and experience as well as the value of a quick follow up and the advantage of a double rifle.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote