New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 nitro test results
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Finally got the Hollis 500 up and running, all restocked etc etc and down to the range with Ron to start organising the sights. I ideally want good group at 50 with 570 grns and the standard sight and then ano sight leaf to shoot the nitro for black load at 440 grns.

So, used the standard sights it came with - 6 leaves out to 300 yards (yeah right!). The sight picture is rubbish, not a very deep v, more of a shallow rounded v with a u shaped notch in middle and fine blade front sight. Anyway results from 33 yards, using tripod sticks, standing

440 grns nitro for black 6 rounds

left barrel 1" group @ 9" high and 7" left
right barrel 1" group @ 1" high and 3" left
ie left barrel is shooting to right of right barrel
570 grains

Left barrel 1" group 7" high, windage perfect
right barrel 1" group 3" high, 1" left
ie left barrel is shooting to left of right barrel

So my conclusions are

1. I am surprised at my ability to shoot 1" groups from such a big rifle with such crap sights, so I am happy that I know where the rifle is printing and its not me wobbling about
2. Forget 570 and 440 grns leaves - the barrels put the diff weight and speed bullets in v diff places - I thought it would just be a question of drop - it isn't the barrels shoot differently
3. So focussing on the 570grns only right now as I want to use it on buff and ele. I am going to replace the sights completely to get a much wider, v back sight with none of this u notch rubbish and a much broader blade.

Questions only re 570 grns

1. I assume the 1" diff in windage between right and left barrels I can forget
2. The 4" gap in elevation printing needs fixing via regulation of barrels
3. For a 500, what is the trajectory for Kynamchoi ammo from Point of aim at 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 yards

I need to know if I am at 30 yards what the drop is at 50 say. What should I zero the rifle at????

I also have some qs re loads for 440 cast lead solids I have had made for it - powder, stuffing, seating etc etc

where should I put them?

Thanks all

David

Posts: 34 | Location: Surrey, England (Nr UK for you US folks) | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David
With the 570gr bullet what powder charge did you use and what other charges have you tested, how did they shoot?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David
Also tell me what your Nirto for Black load was as I have developed Nitro for Black loads with lead and jacketed bullets in my 450, No2.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys

I was using standard Kynamcho factory ammo

I have yet to start messing with the reloading - I want it to at least shoot well with what its supposed to - 570 grns

David

Posts: 34 | Location: Surrey, England (Nr UK for you US folks) | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David
If your rifle does not shoot good with one brand of factory ammo, I would not worry a lot.
When you get ready to reload let us know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hollis500:

570 grains

Left barrel 1" group 7" high, windage perfect
right barrel 1" group 3" high, 1" left
ie left barrel is shooting to left of right barrel

Questions only re 570 grns

1. I assume the 1" diff in windage between right and left barrels I can forget

Correct. But if you're going to have to re-regulate anyway, it's a simple matter to cut that down to 5/8" or so.

quote:
2. The 4" gap in elevation printing needs fixing via regulation of barrels

Maybe, maybe not. First, make sure that the 4" vertical dispersion is real. Vertical dispersion between the barrels is common with an improper forward rest, which is hard to avoid with sticks. Shoot it again from a proper standing or sitting bench rest to make sure the vertical dispersion is real. With an old rifle, this should have been done before any other substantive work. Horizontal dispersion is easy to fix with re-regulation. Vertical dispersion is very difficult to fix.

quote:
3. For a 500, what is the trajectory for Kynamchoi ammo from Point of aim at 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 yards

I need to know if I am at 30 yards what the drop is at 50 say. What should I zero the rifle at????

Like any of the rest of the 2150 fps Flanged Nitros, zero it to print in the center of the bead at 100 yards which, with an .080" bead, will give a "top of the bead" hold at 50 yards. You don't need anything more.
---------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Hollis, How are you resting on the sticks? With only your hand touching or are you pl;acing the barrels on the sticks?

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using 3 sticks - reloading solutions make, very firmly pushed into ground. The top of sticks is foam padded and I make the V very wide so I can get my hand in to hold the rifle properly. I tend to "assume the position" and then lower the left hand so resting nicely. It is a very steady hold - I was thinking more like the "real thing" offhand so it recoils the same vs off bench but steadier.

Anyway, it has now gone off to barreler to be re regulated so will shoot it again next weekend

David