Find
Notify
Tools

My First Double!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Okay, with the help of our friend GarBy, I am now the proud owner of a slightly used Krieghoff .500/416 N.E. and the newest member of the Double Rifle Shooting Society! I'll try and run a few rounds through it in the next day or two and let you know how it shoots.

Yea, I know, you want pictures. I don't have a digital camera and I don't know how to post pictures anyway but I do have a few that Gary sent to me. If some one can PM me with their e-mail address, I will send you some pics and you can post them for me.

Wahooooooo!

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding on the double. I'm inline for one also, but it'll be just a little longer. Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Dave and welcome aboard.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
send the pictures to me at rkmojo@aol.com

I will be glad to post them for you!

Congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Welcome to the DRSS and good shooting...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Grats!!! Pics! Pics!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I sent some pictures to Rusty. They should be up soon. Thanks Rusty.

I'm going to try and shoot it tomorrow after work if it warms up a little. Darn, it's been cold up here.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Cold??

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Antlers, cold is relative right?

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Glad you made the leap! I think you will be really happy with the K-gun!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Cold? YOu should ask Antlers how cold it was when they took that picture he uses for his avatar!

Here are the pictures for Dave.

Nice looking rifle! Congrats once again!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey!....that thing looks familiar. I know it certainly shoots well. Dave says he's headed to the range shortly to make some noise. Let us know your opine when done.

Gary
DRSS....still...even w/o the 500/416!
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Okay, I just couldn't wait to shoot this thing so, despite the fact that it is barely above freezing here, I loaded up about eight water jugs and headed off to the range after work. It is SWEET TO SHOOT! Since I was using Jamison brass instead of the Bell brass that Gary had been using, I wanted to make sure pressures were okay so I backed it off a grain and a half from the load that Gary had been using with the Bell brass. I used both 410 Woodleighs and 400 grain Hornadays and, if the primers are any indication, these are very, very modest loads. For those guys that say that a .500/.416 recoils like a .470, I say pish-posh. The recoil on this thing is nothing like a .470. As I suspected it would be, in a rifle of similar weight, it is very much like a traditionally loaded .416 Rigby. I have a Blaser R93 bolt rifle so I took to the Krieghoff "safety" like a duck to water. Heck, I even thought about throwing a saddle on Ole Dollar and galloping across the plains to blast some jackrabitts Wink

Gary, do you recall the OAL on your handloads? I loaded them to about 3.98. You did me a solid man. Thanks.

Dave

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave....you are quite welcome. I thought, after our conversations, that you would like her. I just loaded to an OAL of where the crimp groove was on the Woodies....then used that same seating depth for the NF's. Unfortunatly, I never measured it...come to think of it, none of my double loads have I measured because I always use a light crimp in the groove.
I totally agree with you on the recoil...I don't think it's as bad as a 470, and I know it's not as bad as my 450 Searcy....I've fired them side by side. It IS a bit more than a 450/400....but one would expect that.

Hope you have a long and mutually rewarding relationship.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Very nice - congrats! Let us know how she groups.

Antlers
Heym 450/400 3"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dancing
BE HAPPY,

Shoot Well,

Hunt A Lot!!!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Dave....you are quite welcome. I thought, after our conversations, that you would like her. I just loaded to an OAL of where the crimp groove was on the Woodies....then used that same seating depth for the NF's. Unfortunatly, I never measured it...come to think of it, none of my double loads have I measured because I always use a light crimp in the groove.
I totally agree with you on the recoil...I don't think it's as bad as a 470, and I know it's not as bad as my 450 Searcy....I've fired them side by side. It IS a bit more than a 450/400....but one would expect that.

Hope you have a long and mutually rewarding relationship.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Gary:

I have been trying to find a C.I.P spec for the .500/.416. The only information I can find is a reference in an an article that mentions an OAL of 3.98 inches. That is where I seated the Woodleighs softs that you sent me. At that length the cannelure is well below the the top of the case. While I might be wrong, I don't think crimping is needed or adviseable. I'll let you guys weigh in here. Do you think they need to be crimped in place? The cartridge has a rather long case neck and the Woodleighs are almost parralel sided so there is a lot of purchase on the bullet.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Congrats on the new acquisition ... and the change in life!

Big bores are fun and doubles are even more fun Wink

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I was able to confirm that 3.98 OAl. At that length, you can't crimp the 410 Woodleigh RNSPs. The crimping groove is not in the right place. These bullets were probably designed for the .416 Rigby. However, I don't think that crimping is required.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave....you state that at the OAL of 3.98" the cannelure is BELOW the case mouth...in other words..hidden? While there are arguments on all sides about crimp/don't crimp, you don't need to seat the bullets that deep. Seat the bullets with the case mouth even with the centerpoint of the cannelure...just don't crimp if you don't want to. I think if you seat the cannelure INSIDE the case, you're too deep with the bullet. Remember...the depth of the bullet BELOW the cannelure (i.e. cannelure to bullet base) will be shorter for a soft Woodie than a solid.
Art's book says OAL is 4.1" for the 416 Rimmed...essentially the same round.
I know that she shot great with the bullets seated to the cannelure......'cause I crimped 'em lightly right there.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous! thanks for the photo Smiler

"Fear of the Lord is wisdom" Job 28:28

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote