THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Verney-Carron .577 Double Owners
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verney-Carron .577 Double Owners
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
For those out there that own V-C .577 doubles, tell me what you think of them. How do they handle and shoot? How do they hold up? How is the recoil? Other thoughts?

Mike

Posts: 21418 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Stepping up from that little pea shooting 500?

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Mike, in a nutshell. Handles well. Shoots great. Holds up...haven't shot it all that much, but given the tripple hooks, have no concerns. Recoil is very managable. Other thoughts....best "value" out there. Bill, aka vagrouser came up to my place last fall. Shot my V-C .500 and .577. Perhaps he can chime in.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1698 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Mike.
I can't speak to the 577 but I have had two V-C 600 nitros and have put plenty of rounds through them. I'll have to wait a bit to see how it will hold up after a few thousand rounds.

Recoil - both had less felt recoil than my Merkel 500NE. My first was 15lbs, the 600NE I now have is 13.25 pounds. I don't remember what the Merkel weighed.

Sam Rose has a V-C 577 so he might be able to give you some insight as well.

Don't know if this was at all helpful ...

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I did get to shoot a few through Don's last fall and like every other V-C I have seen it looks fantastic. Prior to shooting Don's, I had fired a 500 twice so not much in the way of reference. To this day the largest caliber rifle I've fired is the 577. If I remember right, Don was waiting on a mercury tube for his and overall weight when I shot it was in the 13.X pound range; I was using a PAST pad.

Recoil was a step up from the 500, but tolerable just the same. Of course everyone has their own comfort level and I think the average person would grow just fine into one of these after putting ~20 rounds through one over a couple sessions. IMO for all of these bigger rifles, a substantial part of it is just getting used to the concussion so close to your head--it is a little startling for a novice. THe physical recoil isn't bad and certainly won't hurt you. Don was getting pairs off fast and accurately.

I also shot the 505 Gibbs that you now have that day for the first time too. I'd say they were pretty comparable-certainly one doesn't stand out in my mind as being more punishing.

One last thought on the V-C in 577-even though it isn't entirely traditional, the palm swell and tighter-radiused grip V-C will build is very effective in the bigger rifles for controlling recoil/the rifle. If I were to order a 577, I'd opt for it even though I like the look of a more open grip better.

Bill

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. Bill, what was your impression of the used .577 that Ken had that you had the chance to handle?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I thought perhaps the one Ken has was the reason for your questions. Looks like a great buy to me. Not many 577 rifles out there, and it's hard to be a VC for quality and price.

Posts: 20146 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vagrouser
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I think that it is a great deal and I doubt you'll be able to get into another 577 at anywhere close to that price. No wait, pretty rifle, has the grip/swell I mentioned and calling it used is a stretch. I believe Ken said the original owner fired two rounds through it.

As I recall the Gibbs was about 1/4-1/2" too long for me (although I had the PAST on) and the 577 Ken has fit me well (I'm guessing LOP on the 577 is 14 1/2 or 14 5/8") so I'd be sure to double check the dimensions. If it fits, run with it-I think you'd be very happy!

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Give Ken a call.

He is always willing to chat and can give you an opinion based on his experience with doubles and hunting over the world with them and the relative differnces among what he has used, what he has handeled and what he has sold.

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I was perhaps being too coy. I have worked out a trade with Ken for the like new .577 that he listed a while back and he is shipping it to me on Monday. I was doing my due diligence after the fact. Big Grin

By the way, Ken is a great fellow to deal with. This is the second time I have worked with him. Very personable and works hard at making a deal happen.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I guess Ken will soon be posting whatever he got from you in the trade.
Great, another double for me to plot to buy ... Cool

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:

I have a pretty good idea of what he would not take in trade. Big Grin

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1698 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleDon:
quote:

I have a pretty good idea of what he would not take in trade. Big Grin

Do tell ... fishing Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for removing this temptation.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Rifle arrived yesterday. It is essentially a new gun. I cannot even find a safe ding on the rifle. The wood is much nicer than shown in Ken's pictures. The rifle itself is massive. I thought it might be too big until the ammo arrived today. The .577 rounds dwarf a .500 round. Yikes! It is a big round. Rifle is regulated for Kynoch ammo. I have ten rounds to send down range. Need to start reloading for the .577 as soon as possible, the Kynoch ammo is stupid expensive. Looking forward to lighting off a round or two this weekend.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Kynoch ammo is stupid expensive

Well, damn, it is a good thing the rifle was cheap. Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19338 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJines,

I'm sure you will enjoy your 577. First thing I'd take those two mercury recoil reducers out of the butt and reduce the weight by 1 lb 12oz it makes to gun feel so much better. I think recoil is even less after taking them out. Somewhere between 119 and 122 grains of RL-15 should regulate for you with a 750 grain. My gun liked about anything I put in it and shoots really good. You will really love the 577 when you shoot something with it. I've shot lots of big stuff with my 470 and when I saw how the 577 hammered my buffalo I lost interest in the 470. With the #13 solids and non cons you will have a very effective stopper.

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
srose,

Thanks for that information. I think I will leave the mercury reducers in, at least initially, to see how things go.

Glad to hear that RL15 works well. I like using RL15 and think it helps on recoil. Do you use a filler? Also, I was planning to use Woodleigh bullets, when you refer to #13 solids and non cons, what exactly are you referring to? Thanks again.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
srose,

Thanks for that information. I think I will leave the mercury reducers in, at least initially, to see how things go.

Glad to hear that RL15 works well. I like using RL15 and think it helps on recoil. Do you use a filler? Also, I was planning to use Woodleigh bullets, when you refer to #13 solids and non cons, what exactly are you referring to? Thanks again.

Sam,
Time to put on the missionary frock and begin the conversion.

Mike,
Take a look at the "Terminal Bullet Performance" thread in the Big Bore forum.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike,
Take a look at the "Terminal Bullet Performance" thread in the Big Bore forum.

Hell, that "thread" is longer than War and Peace and Gone With the Wind combined. I will not live long enough to shoot the rifle if I have to get through that "thread" first. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJines,

OK the #13 is a bullet developed by Michael458 and myself that is the best bullet out there for dangerous game. It has the deepest and straightest penetration of any solid. No not saying that because it was created by me and I'm not making money off it either. I killed the first game with it using my VC 577 and a 2 band BBW#13 solid. Frontal brain shot and bullet was between the shoulders in the hide. Also shot buffalo and warthog with it on same trip. Fitting that this is about the 577. I have not shot game with a 577 non con yet but have shot several deer with 416 and 500 non cons. Oh by the way a non con is a brass #13 solid with a big hollow point in it with 6 skive cuts in it. The deer I shot had 7 exit wounds. This bullet will be the best thin skin game bullet made also. I will try and find a few pages to refer you to on terminals. Yes it is a long thread. Better for you to go to Michael458's web site on B&M rifles. He has most of all the data on the #13's and tests we did with a bunch of different doubles using #13s.

Sam

Posts: 2833 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't the USS New Jersey use a 160 grains of Re 22 in their
main 16 inch guns. Make sure the first shot is from the bench
just to get the feel of it. Good luck, and what a great looking
and unique double. Money in the bank.
Kidd

Posts: 141 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
From the bench, ha. I was born at night, but not last night. No thank you, I will take my punishment standing up. If I do decide to shoot it off the bench, you can rest assured that it will be cradled in the loving arms of my lead sled.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike-
Hope you are kidding about the lead sled, they are death to stocks.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Just kidding, with doubles I generally do all my shooting off of sticks standing up.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hope you are kidding about the lead sled, they are death to stocks.

Hi Kebco, what's the reason for this? I've been using a sled to regulate my 505 Gibbs; should I change my regime?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just Googled.... lead sled cracked stock
fficial&client=firefox-a" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/search?q...ial&client=firefox-a
I have never used a lead sled but have had enough bad reports that I would never use one for any of my guns.
Some also report scopes breaking

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
The lead sled seems to attract as many divergent opinions as Mark Sullivan. In the latest edition of Shooting the British Double Rifle by Graeme Wright he says, "The invention has been a great asset for those of us testing heavy recoiling rifles . . ." He goes on to mention that there have been reports of stock damage but adds that he has not had that experience. His view is that stock problems would be caused by putting too much weight on the rest. He shows using his with two bags of lead shot. In the end, who knows.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MJines, I've had both 500 and 577 rifles, and for an all-around rifle, the 500NE is the one. A 577 is a heavy rifle. A hunter can have a Tracker carry if while he totes a lighter rifle, but as a PH, you can't have that luxury. Carrying a 14-15 lb rifle all day gets old REAL quick.

On the Lead Sled, the problem occurs when people load them up with shot bags. I use one 25-lb bag and let the stand move. It still soaks up much of the recoil, without putting undue stress on the stock. I've used them since they first came out...460, 500 NE, Lott, 577, etc. No problem.

Posts: 20146 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

On the Lead Sled, the problem occurs when people load them up with shot bags. I use one 25-lb bag and let the stand move. It still soaks up much of the recoil, without putting undue stress on the stock.

That might be the solution, although I would still be concerned and would not recommend there use.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Dude, you didn't trade off the Gibbs did you?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Dude, you didn't trade off the Gibbs did you?

Absolutely not, that is a fine bolt action rifle. In fact, I figure if I can shot that rifle, the .577 cannot be too daunting.

Mike

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Absolutely not, that is a fine bolt action rifle.

Whew... was hoping I would first shot at it if you decide to part ways with her!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Certainly, I will keep that in mind if I decide at some point to part with it.

Mike