THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A classic gift for this Christmas
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A classic gift for this Christmas
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just received all three of Cal's books for my Christmas gift to myself. Excellent reading and great photography. The treatise on the .600's is very informative. Good continuity and flow in the chapters which makes it easy for novice and expert alike. Thanks Cal.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Sent a check off yesterday for his Double Rifle Primer. I'm looking forward to picking up my 470 Tuesday and getting back into the game.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Just received all three of Cal's books for my Christmas gift to myself. Excellent reading and great photography. The treatise on the .600's is very informative. Good continuity and flow in the chapters which makes it easy for novice and expert alike. Thanks Cal.

Dutch

Dutch:
Thanks for the kind words, but one question if I may. You posted on the 24th but Christmas is on the 25th. Did you open your present early?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell yes, Cal! Read two and reading the .600 now. Looking at a bore rifle for sale (hammer under-lever of course) you may want to use in your follow-up to Bore Rifles. The books were the best present to myself.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Cal, I heard a rumor, is it true that George bought the books and ended up returning them because he thought they were supposed to be coloring books? Just curious.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not quite.The story is I was waiting all night long for Santa to arrive when I heard a voice from the direction of the rooftop, above the fireplace say "what is this shit? followed by "I can't give you this shootaway...you are a first class shooter".He gave me a check so I can go hunting instead! rotflmo

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Not quite.The story is I was waiting all night long for Santa to arrive when I heard a voice from the direction of the rooftop, above the fireplace say "what is this shit? followed by "I can't give you this shootaway...you are a first class shooter".He gave me a check so I can go hunting instead! rotflmo

I'm still waiting to see how your have your Searcy shooting? Maybe I missed it.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No you did not miss anything.I called the range yesterday to get their holiday hours.I am planning on it soon.The truth is that I am working hard at getting in shape physically for my hunt.I have been keeping it up for a while and don't want to miss a workout or deal with recoil headaches and complications from any shooting.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
No you did not miss anything.I called the range yesterday to get their holiday hours.I am planning on it soon.The truth is that I am working hard at getting in shape physically for my hunt.I have been keeping it up for a while and don't want to miss a workout or deal with recoil headaches and complications from any shooting.

George, dealing with the recoil IS part of getting in shape for your hunt!

After seeing your picture of how you hold your double to shoot it, it is a wonder to me, how you could not have headaches and/or a broken nose! With your method of mounting your double, I doubt two quick shots would both hit the target a 25 yds because I predict that 500NE double is going to cross your eyes with the first shot!
..................... Eeker

Please film your first two quick shots at the range, I'm sure the members here would love to see you prove your hold is the way it should be done!
........................................................................ nilly

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wanker MacD37,I have been shooting my Lotts a few times a week from 2007.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
mounting your double,

George's "mounting (his) double" may not be exactly what we double rifle men think of when the term is used.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Cal, I heard a rumor, is it true that George bought the books and ended up returning them because he thought they were supposed to be coloring books? Just curious.

Mike:
Only partially true. George did order my books and, yes, he did return them. They were coloring and connect the dot books and he knew that from the outset. The reason for the return were they were too difficult for his level of ability. Here are samples that are appropriate for the topic of Shootaway: a rifle, a hunter, and a COW.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
mounting your double,

George's "mounting (his) double" may not be exactly what we double rifle men think of when the term is used.
Cal

good upbringing...a kindergarten teacher too

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

What has shooting a 458LOTT bolt rifle have to do with the proper hold for a big bore double rifle?

........................................................................ lol

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:

What has shooting a 458LOTT bolt rifle have to do with the proper hold for a big bore double rifle?

........................................................................ lol

Careful Mac, he might just try and answer . . . then we will all have headaches, but not from recoil. Wink

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yuck rotflmo

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
quote:

I'm still waiting to see how your have your Searcy shooting? Maybe I missed it.

McKay,
The vision of those two large bullets striking holes in the bullseye at 50yds has played over and over in my mind daily.It will be a relief(in more ways than one) if all goes well at the range.
I have applied my master knowledge so that it happens.Are you curious because you are having issues and that you might learn something? That is just normal after all you are not shootaway!
I am confident in my Searcy.I have the best DR made.No need for me to look elsewhere.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
As to the targets Shootaway has posted here in AR in the past, this is the only explanation I can come up with.
A great new year to you all.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa