THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    DOUBLE RIFLE GURU CHRIS SOYZA R.I.P.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DOUBLE RIFLE GURU CHRIS SOYZA R.I.P.
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
It is with a heavy heart that I bring the sad news that the unsung double rifle guru Chris Soyza passed away last weekend doing the thing he enjoyed most, delivering beautiful double rifles to clients in far away lands. He was returning from Johannesburg after a delivery to friends and clients and fell ill onboard a BA flight to London. They diverted into Angola for an emergency landing and transported him to a Namibia hospital. He sadly passed there.
Chris had a serious bout with prostate cancer about 5 years ago and post surgery he contracted a very serious staph infection that almost took his life. It is my speculation that the antibiotics he was given for the infection seriously compromised his kidneys...which may have contributed to his early passing (mid-60's)?
Many don't know Chris in the Double rifle circles, however he traveled the world seeking caches of old British Double Rifles, returning them to UK for complete restoration and upgrade....old Jeffrey to Holland and Holland and Purdeys... Literally hundreds of fine old double rifles were restored by Chris and his team in the UK and further in the US by partner Dick Corrente.
Chris was also the purveyor of the J&L Wilkins series of London doubles built in calibers from 22 LR, nicely sized for the caliber with 410 ga barrels as well... to 7 sidelock double rifles in 700 Nitro Express...there were only 22 double rifles (mostly sidelock) built under that name, however, many,many bolt rifles. Chris was the Chief Engineer and Production Manager at Westley Richards for 8 years (about 6-7 years ago) where he was responsible for many innovations of recent at that company. Most recently he was building rifles under the Thomas Bland name and other old names with some of his well chosen partners Bob Procter and Keith Thomas to name a couple, in the trade, simply spectacular pieces!
Chris was born in Malaysia into a family who own large Palm Oil Plantations and processing facilities. He hunted elephants on the plantation beginning when he was 10 years old with his father and uncle. Hunting was another passion, especially Africa and India.... interestingly, he hunted with a big bolt rifle!! He was educated in London as an Engineer and worked extensively in the British auto industry while pursuing his passion of double rifles on the side.
Chris had a knack of finding old doubles In India, Australia, Africa and UK to expertly restore and upgrade and later market again all over the world. His worthy US partner Dick Corrente, a gunsmith who knows the industry and market in the US. Dick holds the last rifle that the team restored and upgraded in the UK, a nice old WJ Jeffrey 475 No.2...it is available, PM me for contact information.
Chris lived life very heartily doing the things he enjoyed most. He leaves an incredible legacy of beautiful double rifles for all of us to enjoy for many years. He leaves his mother, wife Ming and two children all of Malaysia.
Whether you knew Chris or not, he has affected more double rifles in the world than anyone might have guessed. He was a Master that should be recognized and appreciated for his contributions to the double rifle circles.
Rest in Peace old friend, You Will Be Missed!!

470EDDY

Posts: 2676 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear of his passing. the fine gun world has
lost another artisan.

I met Chris at WR just before he moved on , when I was
at the factory looking to commision a new double.

He was at one of the benches checking on the work of a new double
rifle being built.

He actually did a restoration on my mate Rigby 350’s lovely
WR 20g droplock with Damascus barrels.

RIP Chris.

Posts: 665 | Location: EU | Registered: 05 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP Chris

Sad to see someone with such talent and zest pass at a relatively young age.

Condolences to his family and friends.

DRSS

Posts: 1974 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
May he rest in peace. Condolences to friends and family.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Incredibly enthusiastic guy, who was extremely gracious in answering my questions about the Wilkins rifles. I missed out by $100 a great .404 that they made that was auctioned off here in Kentucky.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I did not know his name until his death. However, he seems like a master of the craft based upon this thread. RIP, sir.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Marcus,
You are not alone!! Most folks did not know Chris, nor the originator of the J&L WILKINS. I suggested to him that he write a book to chronicle his adventures and the Marque he created....never got around to it...he kept charging all over the world seeking hidden treasures of double rifles until the end.

I thought our AR circle should know one or our own unsung heros....he was a master and lots of fun too!!

CHEERS

470EDDY

Posts: 2676 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a J&L Wilkins box lock 500 NE.

Magnificent rifle that shoots very well.

A testimony to him......

Bob

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread but wasn't a gentleman by the name of Trevor Proctor also involved with Wilkins? I met him and his hunting partner in 2006 in the Chanjuzi concession of Zambia back when the DuPlooy's had it...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Don't mean to hijack the thread but wasn't a gentleman by the name of Trevor Proctor also involved with Wilkins? I met him and his hunting partner in 2006 in the Chanjuzi concession of Zambia back when the DuPlooy's had it...

BWANAMRM-
As I stated earlier, Chris included many, many trade artisans in producing the J&L Wilkins rifles as well as his restorations.
I do remember him speaking of Trevor, but I did not know him or speak to him personally as I have with some of the others.
At this point, unfortunately we may never know the outstanding contributors to this chain of beautiful rifles!! That's why I wanted him to write a book so that many of these people could be identified for their contributions...and each and every one of the J&L Wilkins Doubles could have been chronicled...and some of the 100+ bolt guns which were also very nicely done.
I would be proud to have any one of them in my safe...or in the hunting fields!!
The interesting thing today, truth be known, most of the "name" bespoke guns are also "worked in the trade" vs full in house completion!! So, the rifles you purchase today will often have been in the hands of these fine people behind the scenes doing this stunning work....Chris used to tell me stories...which I shall not repeat!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Rest in peace.

Nothing like diverting an aircraft as one of your last mortal acts!

Sounds likes he lived his life to the full.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Regret the passing of such a craftsman. Condolences to his family and to his friends.

With sympathy,
Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the good fortune of owning a J&L Wilkins double in 22LR with matching .410 bbls. Beautiful and shoots great. Sorry I never had chance to meet him.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry,
You have a great little treasure there!! Only a few built. What a fun shooter too!!

CHEERS,

470EDDY

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have any idea how many Wilkins 22LR doubles were made with matching .410 bbls? Bob Harvey the gunmaker that made mine told me he would not do another as it was "A Pig" to do. All the fuss was in making the firing pins work correctly.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Harry, I have been gone on a remote BC King Salmon trip and was not able to respond to your question. I spoke with Dick Corrente, Chris's partner here in US. Dick advises there were only 3 of those 22LR/410 ga sets built in the J&L Wilkins series.
You have a little jewel!!
Cheers,

470EDDY