New
Find
Notify
Tools

Krieghoff or Chapuis 470
 Login/Join

posted
pros and cons of each please?

I am wanting to purchase one of the two.

Chapuis came highly recommended and the PH model is very beautiful in my opinion. The Chapuis however, does not fit me as well as the Krieghoff and I feel like I can get on target with the Kreighoff a lot quicker too.

Posts: 15 | Location: San Antonio, Tx. | Registered: 27 August 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I can get on target quicker with the Krieghoff simply because the sights are set up different and better to my liking I guess.

Posts: 15 | Location: San Antonio, Tx. | Registered: 27 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
What? I thought you bought a Chapuis already. What gives?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19364 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you already know the answer to your own question.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
What? I thought you bought a Chapuis already. What gives?

Sounds like a slightly used (perhaps unfired) 470 Chapuis will be for sale soon beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
yea I bought the Chapuis....it is a beautiful rifle. I took it to the Krieghoff dealer/gunsmith to cut it down and install a mercury tube. While I was in his shop I played with the Krieghoff. To me it felt better balanced and I could line up with it quicker, getting a more comfortable sight picture. I have heard good and bad things about the Krieghoff. But if a bunch of people said it was awesome and there were few flaws. I would buy it and probably sell my Chapuis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
314russell,

If he hasn't cut the Chapuis yet...tell him to STOP!
Once the stock is cut, you can never go back.

Shoot both rifles....pick the one YOU like best.

Good luck on your safari beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 314russell:
pros and cons of each please?

I am wanting to purchase one of the two.

Chapuis came highly recommended and the PH model is very beautiful in my opinion. The Chapuis however, does not fit me as well as the Krieghoff and I feel like I can get on target with the Kreighoff a lot quicker too.

Let me make sure I understand the problem.
The Krieghoff fits you better;
You like the sights better; and
You can get on target quicker.

So unless you want a gun that is uncomfortable,you can't see the sights, and takes longer to find the target, seems like you might want to go with the Krieghoff. If you want to be stomped to death by a dangerous animal but look good, get the Chapuis.

"This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok. "

Posts: 54 | Location: Brandon, Ms. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Krieghoff Big Five in .500NE. How does the safety work for you?
That is the only quirk...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, Mr. Slim I see the point haha. The question is is there anything wrong with the Krieghoff that I may want to know about. I dont think the safety will be an issue. I shoot a lot of shotgun and it seems I could get use to it easy enough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pick what works for you.. I shot a few K guns and did not like them..fit, safety and looks. Hence why I bought my Chapuis and it fits me like a glove and shoots like a champ.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
I settled on a K 450/400 after researching till I was blue in the face. The cocking device was the hangup but as it turned out, it was no issue at all.

I'll bet you'll like the 470 just as well. My shooting pardner has one and he swears by it.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you live with a funny safety and extractors? No option for ejectors on the K gun.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
314 I have a K gun in 500/416. Love it. The K gun safety is NOT like the safety on a shotgun. It is much stiffer and a longer throw. It looks like you have several different posts going about cutting the stock on the Chapuis, loads for the 470 and now this one. How does the stock on the K gun fit you? What is the LOP compared with the Chapuis? If you are going to Africa soon you had better shoot your chosen gun a few times before you go. Just my 2 cents.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kebco's remarks are not surprising,since he is a Chapuis dealer but not Krieghoff.

DRSS

Posts: 41 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I have owned too many doubles, including both a Chapuis and a Krieghoff. The Chapuis is a fine rifle, but for me, the Krieghoff just fits. I used my Krieghoff (.500 NE) to take three elephants in December, including the bull in my avatar and a cow that charged and we shot at 5-6 paces. I have no problem with the cocking lever and it is the safest way to carry a double next to it being unloaded, period end of debate. To me, the virtues of ejectors over extractors is over blown. Ask Pondoro Taylor which he felt was the most desirable. When I go to chase elephant around in April, I will be carrying the Krieghoff on my shoulder. Handle both, shoot both if you can, then pick the one that feels right to you.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you are posing this question in several places...

I've been addressing you as "Russell", but guessing by the link you provided to your TV shows, suspect you go by "Bill" or "William"

As I replied to your identical question in a PM,

"Either are fine functional rifles and my recommendation would be to go with the one that feels and shoots best for you. I have looked at both, and have shot a Kriegoff enough to be very impressed with it's function and overall dependability. I think both are more solid and dependable than my two older doubles."...

For what it's worth, I like my older, possibly less dependable, doubles better...

Good luck,

Posts: 403 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Had both in .470.

Kept the K-gun, sold the other.

Like you said, it just fits better.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
muchos gracias