New
Find
Notify
Tools

Witch one 470 or 500.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Went to gun shop to order my 500 3inc, gun shop oner said that i am making a mistake.He said that a 470 would be a better option.What do you think?

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
What do you intend to hunt with it? Both are proven rounds however the 500 may make more sense if you want to hunt Jumbo on a regular basis and can handle the recoil.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nongwe:
Went to gun shop to order my 500 3inc, gun shop oner said that i am making a mistake.He said that a 470 would be a better option.What do you think?

Nongwe, I think what the dealer was trying to get across was the the outside profile of the barrels are the same so the 500NE is actually lighter than the 470NE because of the larger chamber full length, and a larger hole poked through the bore. The recoil of the 500 NE is higher than the 470NE in the same weight rifle, but is even more so with a rifle that is chambered for 500NE but actually ligher than a 470NE. The dealer was simply trying to help.

The 500NE Merkel will do the job, but you will have to get used to the recoil, and that can only be done with a lot of shooting before you get in front of a mad bull elephant!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that it may be easier to find .470 NE ammunition in Africa, or here. Hornady has come out with their .470 NE in softs and solids, that's a plus. I have a Searcy in .470 so I could be a bit biased. I would love it even more if it were a .500 3" NE, but then...

I say buy the one that makes your heart sing every time you think about shooting it.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a romance thing in my oppinion, like tring to decide if you want a 404 Jeffery or a 416 Rigby, both have history, but which one pulls your heart strings.

That being said, I believe from my own experience that the buffalo I have shot with a 500 seemed to have more of a visual reaction to the impact vs the buffalo I have shot with the 470. That has been a total of 5 buffalo so not really a wealth of experienc, but experience none the less. I could also be my perception because the 500 is the romance NE round for me so of course it is better!.................. dancing

For what it is worth I have also taken an bull ellie with the 500 and it died completely............the 470?..........never shot an ellie with it so im going with the 500 is better yet again!! HaHaHa! rotflmo

All kidding aside I agree with the statement above that 470 ammo is probably more available in africa if you were to need ammo, and there is a difference in recoil that may or may not matter to you, If you have shot a Merkel 470 and the recoil suprised you in a bad way......a 500 Merkel will most likely be over the limit in that department, in that weight rifle it is quite sharp compared to the 470. The main thing is you are ordering yourself a double!!......whichever one you decide on CONGRATS to you!!!!

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Question for you folks who own both the 470 and 500.
Taking into consideration these rifles are built to order and the stock fits you well, is there a noticeable difference in the "recovery time" between the 470 and 500?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mafunyane
posted Hide Post
Nongwe I know you for 15 years now and think you must rather try a 30.06 double you cant even handle my .458 recoil sofa

Just kidding my friend.
Witch ever you chose it will do the job for you fine.You are still the best shot I know,with every kind of rifle

All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing!!

Posts: 53 | Location: Limpopo province South Africa | Registered: 27 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Nongwe:

I own a .470. I don't own a .500 but I have shot several double rifles in that caliber. I will tell you that for me anyway, I thought a .500 was a big step up in the recoil over the .470, especially in a Krieghoff or a Merkel. I think those guns are very light for caliber in the .500. Some guys can do it but I can't see going to the range to shoot a .500 for "fun." They just seem to beat the daylighs out of me.

My thought is that if you are going to do a lot of elephant shooting, then maybe the .500 would be the wise choice. However, if you are going to hunt buffalo and everything else in Africa with your gun with maybe a one time elephant hunt, then the .470 is the better choice. Remember, the .470 has been killing everything in Africa, including tuskers for a long time. I much prefer the .470.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Question for you folks who own both the 470 and 500.
Taking into consideration these rifles are built to order and the stock fits you well, is there a noticeable difference in the "recovery time" between the 470 and 500?

No difference in the two.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nongwe,
I've owned both and the 500 N.E. is my choice. Recoil is a little stiffer but I don't shoot full loads too often in the 470 or the 500 so I can get plenty of practice without developing the flinch from hell. If you reload get the 500. If you do not reload you will find 470 ammo easier to find BUT the 500 over the past three years is becoming a very popular caliber and eventually I believe ammo for it will be just as easy to find. Whatever you choose it will be a great DG round and both will get the job done well.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted quite a few elephant and god willing I will hunt some more. I have used the 470 and 465 along with a 458 Win and a 458 Lott. They all died just fine. I don't think the extra weight or recoil (a 500 trade off) is worth the difference in the field.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Dirk got it right.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
I say make arrangements to shoot both with full power loads BEFORE you make your decision.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what brand of rifle you're dealing with, but a proper DR should be weighted according to caliber. I know that some are not, and as Mac37 said, the 500 version can even be lighter based on the larger bore in the same-sized blank. As others have said, it depends on your intended use, but most authors and users remark that the 500 has a noticeably greater impact on large game. Most any DR can be adjusted for weight by a gunmaker, but adding weight to a 500NE to make it more comfortable to shoot also adds to carry weight. Then again, trackers are generally more than willing to carry a rifle for the client. Whichever you decide on, you'll soon have a double rifle!!!

PS: 500 NE !!!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
.470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .500 hits harder on both ends in equally weighted and balanced rifles...ammo is more readily available for the .470. Thus, that would be my choice.

There's plenty enough gun in the .470 for EVERYTHING africa has to offer.

JW

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Most any DR can be adjusted for weight by a gunmaker

Jon:

I am not sure I agree with this statement. Most guys will add weight to a double by putting weight in the stock. That knocks off the balance. With the Continental doubles like Merkel and Krieghoff, I think it is important to buy a caliber that is properly weighted in the first instance and not try to add weight AFTER you buy the gun. That's why I thought the perfectly weighted K-gun is the .500/.416. At about 10.5 pounds it is just about right. The .470 would not be too bad at that weight but I don't care what John Taylor says, a 10.5 pound .500 is TOO DAMN LIGHT!. If I was buying a .500, I think the hot rock right now is a Verney-Carron. That, or a gun from Searcy, where you can specify the weight of the gun you want is the closest thing us mortals have to a reasonably priced "bespoke" gun that we have right now.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, One trick I've used involves taking off the pistol grip cap, boring a hole into the grip, but not far enough to interrupt the grain flowing through the wrist, then adding weight, epoxy, and putting the grip cap back on. That keeps the extra weight between the hands, and low in the rifle's profile.

I totally agree that balancing the weight to the caliber, or to the shooter's specific preference, is the right way to go about it. Ordering a new DR from Butch or Verney-Carron would accomplish that, but involves the cost of a new rifle, and a year or better wait. That doesn't work for me.

In my case, that's like taking a big hunk of a little kid's favorite candy, putting it on the table in front of him, and telling him he has to wait a year before he can eat it!!!!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
In a Merkel, go with a .375 H&H (10.1 pounds). In a K-gun, go with a .500/.416 or a .470 (10.5 pounds). If you want a .500, go with an Blaser S2 (11+ pounds).

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you want a .500, go with an Blaser S2 (11+ pounds).

And a 45 lb safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:

And a 45 lb safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nonsense! It just takes a little "flick" of the thumb. Blasers rock! moon

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Blasers...have 5 or 6 now, and have had 3 or 4 S2 DRs as well. I just can't resist any opportunity to bust you 00's when the opportunity presents itself!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
What do you intend to hunt with it? Both are proven rounds however the 500 may make more sense if you want to hunt Jumbo on a regular basis and can handle the recoil.

Exactly right. I've used both. .500 needs to be heavier to keep the recoil close. I would not like it in a 10-10.5# rifle. I like 10.25 to 10.50 in 500/450 or .470, but 11.75 in 500

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:

Why not just get a real double?

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Jeff Wemmer: AMEN. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

Good Point! +2

6x NFR Qualifier
NFR Champion
Reserve World Champion Bareback Rider
PRCA Million Dollar Club
02' Salt Lake Olympic Qualifier
and an all around good guy!

Posts: 354 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Maxload
posted Hide Post
Nongwe,the bigger the better!!!In those situations a 700 nitro feels like a p-shooter!

Conservation through Hunting

Posts: 38 | Location: Groblersdal Limpopo Province | Registered: 20 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
quote:

Now Mike, that was cold man Wink

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE