New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage combo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My soninlaw just got a used savage combo.

I believe it's a .223/ 12 gauge.

It seems to shoot pretty good anyone have any experence with these.

Do they make a .308 over a 12?

Posts: 63 | Location: C. Falls Montana | Registered: 16 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if they made a 308 over 12 ga. I know that Tikka/Valmet did. I own a Savage in 22mag over 20 ga. Hasven't used it in a long time. Very useful in small game season.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robert_in_mt:

The Savage combos are made backwards for use with high pressure loads like the 308. To handle pressures like that (50,000 lbs) the rifle barrel would have to be on the bottom,with the shot barrel on top, and VERY well fitted.

Savage does, or did, make that combo chambered for 20 ga 30-30 though, and they shoot quite well for such a reasonably priced break-top combo! A few years ago I turned one of the 20ga/30-30 combos into a 30-30 double rifle by simply sleeving in a 30-30 barrel on the bottom,cutting both barrel at 18" and regulating the rifle. I built this short rifle to carry while chasing dogs, and bear all over the mountains of New Mexico. Worked like a charm.Light as a feather, and pleanty for treed bear,or couger with 170 gr factory ammo. thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had checked, and couldn't find anything over 30/30-12ga either. I know sometimes not all guns are cataloged though. He got savage for called coyotes, I think it will work well for that, as rifle holds good group out to 300yds.

I was looking for combo deer/ bird gun for sage flats in eastern MT. You always jump up sage grouse when deer hunting. Along edges Huns, Sharpies, and deer. I don't think of 30/30 as a 300yd deer rifle though, maybe 200yd. MD seem to stop at 250/300 yds to look back. Would need at least .243, but I belive pressure is at or near .308. Same as all in .308 family.

Is the Tikka/Valmet an costly gun, are they readly available, do they shoot well?

thanks for your input. RC

Posts: 63 | Location: C. Falls Montana | Registered: 16 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've had a 222/20 ga that has served as my truck gun for several years. Suprisingly accurate gun, after bumping around under the seat the 222 is still holding a pretty good zero. They did make a 308/12 ga. but i haven't seen one of them in years.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is the Tikka/Valmet an costly gun, are they readly available, do they shoot well?

If you go to the combo forum, you will see some info and groups i posted picts of from my Valmet...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was smart for once, and got one in 30-30/12 gauge magnum while they were available. Just a great all around rig for the back country.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try the new Hornady LeveRoution 30-30 ammo, it is supposed to be good for long range in a lever action.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had checked, and couldn't find anything over 30/30-12ga either.

As far as I know, Savage never made the como with a 12 ga barrel, but the 20 ga barrels are mostly 3" after about 1950

quote:
I was looking for combo deer/ bird gun for sage flats in eastern MT. You always jump up sage grouse when deer hunting. Along edges Huns, Sharpies, and deer. I don't think of 30/30 as a 300yd deer rifle though, maybe 200yd. MD seem to stop at 250/300 yds to look back. Would need at least .243, but I belive pressure is at or near .308. Same as all in .308 family.

thanks for your input. RC

What you need is a cape gun! I have one chambered for 8X57JR on the right barrel, and a 16 ga shotgun on the left. Out west in Texas, and New Mexico, the blue quail, and Muledeer,seasons are open at the same time. I allways had a shotgun, and a rifle in my Jeep, but when I parked to go look in a canyon, for deer, I'd jump quali, and if I got out of the Jeep to stalk some blues, inveribly, I would jump the biggist muley in the mountains. I found this little cape gun and have taken deer, elk, and prong horn at over 300 yds, with the rifle barrel, and a blue never gets a pass because I don't have my shotgun along anymore! Big Grin

The Tikka's and Valmet 412s (same gun) are good combo guns, and are not expensive where good combo guns are concerned. When you think about it, you are buying "TWO" firearms, for a $1000 bill! Where can you buy a good shotgun, and a good rifle, for $500 each? And if you could they wouldn't be worth much to solve the problem fixed by the combo! A cape gun will set you back far more than any good O/U combo, however! New cape guns start at around $7K

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
Picture of 375 AI
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes.

Savage Model 2400 o/u. 12ga full choke over .308 Win or .222 Rem. Produced 1975-1980.

Savage Model 389. 12ga 3"in with choke tubes over .308 Win or .222 Rem. Produced 1988-1990.

You will most likely be better off with a Valmet / Tikka / FinnClassic. You can exchange barrel combinations. For a dealer see http://doublegunhq.com/ There are always some available on gunbroker.

Pete

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Savage Model 2400 o/u. 12ga full choke over .308 Win or .222 Rem. Produced 1975-1980.

Actually, Savage didn't "make" those, Valmet made them and Savage imported them under the Savage name...

They are a "weaker" design than the Valmet 412's are...

Here's my Savage 2400

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 375 AI:
quote:

Yes.

Savage Model 389. 12ga 3"in with choke tubes over .308 Win or .222 Rem. Produced 1988-1990.

You will most likely be better off with a Valmet / Tikka / FinnClassic. You can exchange barrel combinations. For a dealer see http://doublegunhq.com/ There are always some available on gunbroker.

Pete

I hate to burst your bubble, but the Savage 2400 is not a Savage,but is a VALMET 412, with Savage's name on it!
jumping

The 333, and the 333T are also Valmet shotguns, the 333 in 20ga, and the 333t is a 12 ga. The model 330 is a Churchhill double. Savage didn't make any of them! Wink

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate to burst your bubble, but the Savage 2400 is not a Savage, it is a VALMET 412, with Savage's name on it!

And i hate to burst YOUR bubble, but the 2400's are NOT a Valmet 412!!!

DM

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DM:
quote:
I hate to burst your bubble, but the Savage 2400 is not a Savage, it is a VALMET 412, with Savage's name on it!

And i hate to burst YOUR bubble, but the 2400's are NOT a Valmet 412!!!

DM

OH yes it is!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OH yes it is!

Do you want to make a bet on that??? We could send the money to a third party...

How much?? I could use some extra Christmas money!!

DM

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DM:
quote:
OH yes it is!

Do you want to make a bet on that??? We could send the money to a third party...

How much?? I could use some extra Christmas money!!

DM

The 2400 Savage is a Valmet Finish Lion, and it was made for Savage by Valmet, and was purposely made so the barrels of the 412 with Valmet's name on it would not interchange. This was done because Savage intended to sell their own interchangable barrel sets, but the little combo didn't sell well, so they dropped it.

The savage 2400 was made from 1975-1979, and sold for $595 It has plain extractors, and was chambered for 12 ga 2 3/4"/222 Rem, and 308. The shot barrel is full choke, and is 23 1/2" long, with a matted top rib, dovetaild scope bases, and fold down rear sight, and the barrels are joined only at the muszzle, and at the mono-block. It used the Finish lion action, and will not accept the interchanable barrel sets for the VALMET 412.It is fitted with a single selective trigger. It was made in Finland, by VALMET, not Savage.

I'm sitting here looking at one of each, as we speak! It makes little difference whether you believe it or not, the gun you are discussing was made in FINLAND, BY VALMET, and is a valmet lion, which uses the same action as the 412, but made with Savage's name on it.

Though a little rough around the edges when compared to the VALMET named 412, it is a very good combo gun, and, IMO, is worth a lot more that they cost origenally, or that you could get for it. I have a Valmet Finish Lion, 12 ga shotgun, that is a dove getting son-of-a-gun, and though I have some very expensive shotgun, this is my favorite for pass shooting doves! I paid the pricely sum of $105 for this shotgun in 1973, and it gets a work out every year when dove season opens. My 2400 Savage combo is a 12 ga 222, and has accounted for many coyotes,and bobcats, while calling.

Valmet made these rifle right, because rather than the way Savage always made their combos, and still does, Valmet put the rifle barrel on the bottom, where it could stand a lot more pressure than if on the top, like the ones Savage made.

The above is fact, and I hve no need to argue with you, you are simply wrong, if you think Savage made the 2400 Savage!

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The above is fact, and I hve no need to argue with you, you are simply wrong, if you think Savage made the 2400 Savage!

Have you bothered to read my other post??????????????????????????????????????

I said above it was NOT made by Savage!

"If" the 2400 was a 412, the 412 bbls would fit it, will they????

My offer on that bet stands... Please take my money "if you can"!!

BTW, i have several examples of those guns here by me as i type this... and a few pictures of both will prove what i'm saying... The 412 is a beefed up 2400 and not much will interchange between the two...

DM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, i have two friends in Canada that have Valmets that "they" say are the Lion model, and they won't accept 412 bbls either...

I sold one friend several 412 bbls, and he had to buy a 412 gun to put them on...

DM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off to MacD37,

I think you got upset at me in this thread, and that was NEVER my intention. I'm sorry if you took my above post that way...

Secondly, i posted a new post in the combi forum... https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=...=657101977#657101977 and anyone and everyone is welcome to comment on it there.

I hope in the end what comes out of this is "correct info", that everyone is happy with...

Thanks,

DM