New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis Doubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am hoping to pick the brains of forum members.
I am looking for a light double to compliment my Searcy 500
(used with great success at 16 yds on a tuskless elephant cow in the Omay a few weeks ago).
I like the look of the Chapuis SxS UGEX ejector model in 9.3x74 or the O&U model Super Orion C10 ejector model which can be had in 9.3x74 or 375 H&H.On this latter model they mention easily replaceable recoil/headspace plates should the action ever need tightening-what are these?
The brochure also describes the twin triggers as of the "Blitz" type-what is that?
Any general opinions on the weapons?

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
If it were me I would be all over the Chapuis.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had a 9,3 in the ugex model= very nice and accurate rifle. the blitz action has the inner workings mounted on the trigger plate - an old german style system. they use the franz jaeger double underlug system on the side x side - a lot of german engineering in this french rifle !

go for the side x side - its a more traditional rifle. be sure to get it with ejectors. and consider buying their quick detach mount system for a scope. you can probably get a good price by special ordering from jj at champlin arms.

you might check out the new merkel 9,3 - they recently changed to a 28 ga frame size from a 20 ga. the chapius was more light and whippy than the old merkel ( i had both at the same time ) and i liked the chapius a lot. i look forward to checking out the new merkel myself. either one , especially scoped, would be a wonderful rifle for safari .

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wombat
I have used my 9,3x74R Chapuis in TX, MT, ID, Canada, & 2 trips to Zim. Please see my previous posts. I have taken game from beaver, bobcat, raccoon, turkey, deer, wild pigs, black bear to all sorts of African Plains game, to giraffe, cape buff, and elephant.
It is the PERFECT companion to a big bore double.
I highly recommend you get it scoped.
The Chapuis pivot mount has worked perfectly for me for several years.

For African use I prefer it to ANY 375 bolt rifle.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for 450 # 2

say AMEN to a double versus ANY bolt gun ! homer

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote