New
Find
Notify
Tools

I confess
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK, I admit it, I’d like to have a double. I’ve been lusting after one for sometime and with a tuskless elephant hunt planned for ’07, plus I may add a buffalo, cow or bull, the desire for a double is growing even more. I’ve been spending my limited spare time lately looking at 9.3x74s, I know it’s somewhat small for elephant but that’s about all the recoil I want, can handle. On the other hand I’ve got a very good Whitworth 375 H&H that’s been to Africa, that’s paid for and I keep telling myself instead of spending money on another gun I’d be better off spending it on another hunting trip or trophy fees. Still, I lust and dream of a double, even an over and under. So what a good affordable 9.3x74?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
You can order a new Chapuis 9.3 for under $4000

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recommend you take a look at the Chapuis and the Merkel.

I have usede a Chapuis for several years and I really like it.

I have taken quite a bit of game with it in NA as in Zim, including a cape buff giraffe and a cow elephant.

I highly recommend you get your 9,3 scoped with QD mounts.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I was expecting you to tell me that I don't NEED another rifle and would help me see that a double was a waste of money.... Well, that sure didn't work. Razzer

Hmmm, a Chapuis for under $4000?? If I sold the Whitworth then I might could have under $3k in it. Does the Chapuis have the fugly hump back stock?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Roscoe:

Where can I order a new Chapuis 9.3 double for less than $4000? I might have to jump on that deal. Thanks.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good question, I think. Eeker

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
The humpback stock is not fugly. I have a Merkel 9.3 and so far all it has done is given me a temporary fix. DRs are worse than meth when it comes to the addictive part. They are more fun than sex (well almost as much fun, and yes I'm doing it right).

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Roscoe:

Where can I order a new Chapuis 9.3 double for less than $4000? I might have to jump on that deal. Thanks.

Gary
DRSS

NRA Lifer

Wow, you serious? Can they be ordered on the larger 20 gauge frame for this price? Who do we contact?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brain1:
The humpback stock is not fugly.

One mans trash...

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark65x55:
Does the Chapuis have the fugly hump back stock?

No it doesn't have the FUGLY hog back, but it does have a FUGLY beavertail forend, makeing the barrels look tinier than they already are! Both the hog back, and the beavertail can be illimanated, with a rasp, and sand paper, and the forend re-checkered! Wink

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
Roscoe:

Gary
DRSS

NRA Lifer

I would like to know too. Any I've seen were well over 5K which will probably be about my limit for a long time. I've been lusting over them for several years now and I may finally be able to get one in a couple years.

Posts: 144 | Location: Boiling Springs, SC, USA | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Contact Dale Nygaard at:
dln@lakedalelink.net

He did the group buy, and had the best prices I have seen quoted on the Chapuis. No idea what his prices are now, but at the time of the group buy, you could have come in under $4k for a gun built to your specs. He has been great to work with.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm, go another caribou hunt or shoot 2 tuskless vs buying a double???? stir

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
Contact Dale Nygaard at:
dln@lakedalelink.net

He did the group buy, and had the best prices I have seen quoted on the Chapuis. No idea what his prices are now, but at the time of the group buy, you could have come in under $4k for a gun built to your specs. He has been great to work with.

Art, how long ago was this?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The group buy was done earlier this year. The guns are scheduled (last word from Dale) for delivery late November. Best bet is give him a call or an email. Prices change, and we placed orders for several guns at once to get that price.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Call Dale. He will give you a very good price.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, do call him, but what is his phone number please !!

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
His number is:

320-963-5551