THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    baikal double rifle in 45-70, forward trigger not returning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

baikal double rifle in 45-70, forward trigger not returning
 Login/Join

posted
was shooting my baikal double in 45-70 ( yes i know.. cheap gun.. i'm poor.. yada yada.. )and noticed the forward trigger is starting to stick back. IE, pull trigger to fire, and it does not spring rebound fully forward, thus when breaking action and closing, that one bbl doesn't cock.

I lubed/cleaned the trigger area with some thin penetrant thinking it was some waxy lube in it that might have migrated since i've been shooting more 45-70 lately.. but so far, nada.

any ideas as to what could be going on in there.

looks like it takes a special tool to get into the action.

For now I just remember to push the trigger forward before breaking it open.

only guess is whatever they are using as a return spring.. ain't... have been unable to find an exploded parts diagram, or instructions on how to get into the action.

Any ideas?

thanks

Posts: 23 | Location: florida | Registered: 07 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don't oil it; you will just soak the wood. Probably it is the trigger rubbing on the wood, or binding in the trigger plate; take the butt stock off and you will see what is happening; remove the butt pad and just unscrew the through bolt with a screwdriver. Might be a wood screw behind the trigger guard; can't remember and too lazy to look, but you will see that too.
Oh, nothing wrong with Baikals; mine are more accurate than others I have costing ten times more. I still have one in France due to non regulation, for the past year.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. It used to not stick, so am doubting rubbing, but wont know till I get it open. Thanks for the info on how to disassemble.

Ps, I was careful to keep the solvent off the stock, just tried to rule out dragging from old parifin waxy lubes I see some manufacturers use.

As for the Baikal, I love mine, and with iron sights its minute of hog easily in Florida .

Many forums I see, Baikal is the red headed stepchild and owners take some verbal abuse for bringing them up.

I like big cartridges.. Have a 375 hh in a ruger 1, 458 lot in a super magnum, and a trusty 416 rigby in a cz 550 ( I also get some ribbing on the rigby/cz. Wink. )

Will be home from work in an hour and may head straight for the gun. If I find damage.. Are parts was to find in the states?

Thanks, will post back when I get it open

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sure, EAA has all the parts, should you need any, which I doubt.

posted Hide Post
Many thanks sir!

Issue solved. Got the buttstock off, saw a brass chip from machining of the triggers had gotten between trigger metal and receiver. Freed it, did a hair of polishing for fit and it works flawless now

Very much appreciate the directions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
used one this bear season on a charging black bear. it was the first time I had shot it. The rifle definitely felt cheap but it worked when Ii need it.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chilcotin hillbilly:
used one this bear season on a charging black bear. it was the first time I had shot it. The rifle definitely felt cheap but it worked when Ii need it.

they re a good tools .. i have one in 30-06 OU that i will not let go .... so useful and easy for fly ins ...

Posts: 1876 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For what they cost, not too shabby. I would not scope one, but iron sights are nice on a double. The bbl spread adjuster is a hair chinst, but whatever works I guess

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This rifle had a red dot site on it. Worked great 10 yards and in when i needed it.

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have a 30-06 with a scope; easily got it adjusted to about one inch at 50 yards. I have DRs that cost many times more that don't shoot as well. They might look nicer, but do not perform better.

posted Hide Post
and in the end, shot placement should count more than brand name...