Notify
Tools

450 N.E. 3 1/4"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted
Dear Friends:
I dont have access to new reloading sources (Books or CDs) Frowneronly websites or old reloading books. Please, anybody can provide me reloading data for the 450 N.E. 3 1/4".
The only available powder in Argentina are a few cans of Aliant (R22 AND R7) not others by the moment Mad and its impossible to me to develope a safe charge for a Double Rifle with the local powders (if any of them work for this caliber) without pressure measurements devices. Worst !!! there are not any factory 470 ammo, Eley-Kinoch or the new Hornady and nobody will import it.
I need Aliant load data with pressure info. There are? Thanks; thumb Guillermo.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guillermo : Search in this forum(press find icon, log in and search "reloading 450 nitro"). There is information reloadig the cartridge with R-22.
In my experience your A-19 powder is similar to the R-22 ,although giving more pressure. Following the advise of the guide that sold me that powder I reload first for 8-06 (bad results, low velocity , bad ignition) , see others using it with excelllent resuts in 300 Mag., and start experimenting with the 416 Rigby , with good results. I used the published data of the Lyman reloading handbook ,with the suggested starting load less 5%, and increased with one grain each time. Finally I settle with the recom. max. load less 5% , with no signs of excessive pressure using it on my rifle( a CZ MAg. ).The velocities were lower than the published on the book.
We reloaders in this part of the world are becoming extinct , due to the lack of components. Presently I am dissasembling cartridges of other calibres to fed my beloved 30 Rs and 8x68S. One of these days I will try some A-19 I saved on the 8 with a heavy bullet (if I can get a heavy bullet).
Best luck on your proyect Guillermo.

Posts: 93 | Location: Santiago, Chile. | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
reloading 450 nitro

Guillermo,
I have no experience reloading the Nitro Express but I have a good collection of info about them. If you want, I can send you copy of some articles about reloading the .450 3 1/4". It will take some time because I have to find them.
I do not remember if there are any loading with Reloader 22.
Ross Seyfried recommends the R 15 for full nitro charges and the IMR 4198 for Nitro for Black charges.
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulki:
Guillermo : Search in this forum(press find icon, log in and search "reloading 450 nitro"). There is information reloadig the cartridge with R-22.
In my experience your A-19 powder is similar to the R-22 ,although giving more pressure. Following the advise of the guide that sold me that powder I reload first for 8-06 (bad results, low velocity , bad ignition) , see others using it with excelllent resuts in 300 Mag., and start experimenting with the 416 Rigby , with good results. I used the published data of the Lyman reloading handbook ,with the suggested starting load less 5%, and increased with one grain each time. Finally I settle with the recom. max. load less 5% , with no signs of excessive pressure using it on my rifle( a CZ MAg. ).The velocities were lower than the published on the book.
We reloaders in this part of the world are becoming extinct , due to the lack of components. Presently I am dissasembling cartridges of other calibres to fed my beloved 30 Rs and 8x68S. One of these days I will try some A-19 I saved on the 8 with a heavy bullet (if I can get a heavy bullet).
Best luck on your proyect Guillermo.

Pulki; You have a PM. Thanks . Guillermo.

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin:
Thanks, any data will be apreciatte, thumb Im only have a few can of R-22 and one of R-15, (And the f.... A-27 & A-19)
Im looking for a load data for the 450 NE at knowed pressures or factory especifications (Max. 40000 cup)in IMR or Alliant powders, because there a not 450 NE factory ammo in Argentina Madand I cant develope it with local powders without measurement devices horse.
Any load data with Alliant or IMR powder will be apreciate, otherwise I will have to wait that some American Hunter friend Big Grin come to argentina with a 450 NE to hunt and ask him that bring some extra factory ammo boxes Wink.
I read this in a post = The conversion for those old cordite rounds to R15 is 1gr cordite to 1.19grs R15. But I dont know the 450 NE cordite load data and if this is safe as it looks. Big Grin Regards, Guillermo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with 83.0 grains of RL 15 and went up to the 83.3 grain load. Used original Kynoch 480 grainers and shot to my point of aim. FWIW.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gullermo ,

I send you a PM ,answering yours.

Pulki

Posts: 93 | Location: Santiago, Chile. | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guillermo,
The 1 to 1.15 ratio was developed by Ross Seifried, I will serch for some of his articles at The Double Gun Journal and if you give me your adress I send a copy to you.
According to Pondoro:
.450 3 1/4" , powder 70 grs. Cordite; Bullet 480 grs Metal-covered; Pressure 17 tons; MV 2,150; ME 4,930.

Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Guillermo Amestoy:

Im looking for a load data for the 450 NE at knowed pressures or factory especifications (Max. 40000 cup)in IMR or Alliant powders, Regards, Guillermo

SEARCY REGULATION LOAD:
96 grs. IMR 4831
Federal 215 Primers
500 gr. bullet

40,000 psi

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everybody for the info, a warm hug; Guillermo.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Guillermo: Graeme Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" shows loads for Re15, but nothing with Re22. I hope you can find safe loads with the powders you have on hand.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the R22 to develop 416 Rigby to factory velocity & pressures specification (Like cordite charges).
Hornady 400 jSP and 95 grains of R-22, 2379 fps with 38000 cup) perhaps using a powder like R-22 slower than R-15 (No more available here) maybe I can arrive to the same velocity with lower pressures than R15 if the shell capacity allows it. Thanks to all for your contribution.Regards; Guillermo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Is this charge from secnod edition?
I have first edition and ony have one 4831 load (95grs).
Guillermo,
I will send you copy of some articles.
I have not find any load using R22 yet.
IMHO it have to work as some reloaders prefer to use slow powders like 4350 and 4891 in those big cases that are similar to R22 (and the A19 by the way).
The problem is to develop the same pressure. You can use Ken Waters method of load developing if you can get some factory ammo. That is to compares base expansion from your load to factory ammo.
Hope this helps.
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Is this charge from secnod edition?
I have first edition and ony have one 4831 load (95grs).
Guillermo,
I will send you copy of some articles.
I have not find any load using R22 yet.
IMHO it have to work as some reloaders prefer to use slow powders like 4350 and 4891 in those big cases that are similar to R22 (and