THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Anyone ever put a scout or pistol scope on a double rifle?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ever put a scout or pistol scope on a double rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have never liked having a scope stick out over the thumb lever on a double rifle so I started thinking about using a scout scope or a pistol scope for their long eye relief. Has anyone tried this?

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

.470 Chapuis double; 9.3x74R Mathelon triple; 30-06 Winchester O/U

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not so much a scout scope, but folks are starting to utilize the newer dot or small holographic sights. With a big bore double, you don't need magnification as much as you need a fast, clear sight picture, something that becomes more difficult with age and open sights. Also, the smaller sights, like the Docter or Zeiss, don't disturb the lines or balance of a double as much as a scope would.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goshoot:
I have never liked having a scope stick out over the thumb lever
on a double rifle so I started thinking about using a scout scope
or a pistol scope for their long eye relief. Has anyone tried this?

The properly balanced rifle would have to be negatively affected

by having the weight of a scope attached to the bbls where scout

scopes are usually situated I would think.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some of the small Holo sights like the Docter, weigh but a few OZ. If you could mount in the dovetail of the rear sight, like some have done and shown on this site, it would probably be the best bet.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Some of the small Holo sights like the Docter,
weigh but a few OZ. If you could mount in the
dovetail of the rear sight, like some have done
and shown on this site, it would probably be
the best bet.

I agree.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Some of the small Holo sights like the Docter, weigh but a few OZ. If you could mount in the dovetail of the rear sight, like some have done and shown on this site, it would probably be the best bet.
I was wanting something with some magnification as my eyes are not what they used to be. As I understand it these HOLO sights don't magnify. Is that correct? Thanks.

When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom---Sitting Bull

Posts: 105 | Location: Rockville, MD USA | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
goshoot

What calibre double rifle are you thinking about scoping?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
I put a Burris Scout scope on my double, but it is just a tad too far back. The eye relief need to be just 1" shorter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
goshoot

What calibre double rifle are you thinking about scoping?
I just got a 9.3x74R I was thinking of scoping. I also have a .470 that I took to Zim two years ago that I would not scope as I feel that is a close up rifle. T think the 9.3 can reach out beyond my naked eye abilities so I am considering a scope for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xs headspace:
I put a Burris Scout scope on my double, but it is just a tad too far back. The eye relief need to be just 1" shorter.
What brand & caliber is your double with the burris and how did you mount it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Swarovski 1.5to6x42 scope on my Chapuis 9,3x74R.

I have taken game to 300 yards with it.

Works perfect. The scope does not interfere with the thumb lever or with reloading.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I have a Swaro 1,25-4x24 on my FN-Browning O/U in 9,3x74R. Very fast and efficient for drive hunting were all shots are taken on the run.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote