Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis .450-400 3-inch?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I would like to have one of the Chapuis's Brousse models built in .450-400 3-inch with 26-inch barrels, extractors, and finished and engraved like Rusty's 9.3x74 Chapuis pictured elsewhere only they don't currently make one. How many others here would order one if the price, size, and weight were comparable to their current Brousse model in .375 H&H? If we had ten or so people interested, I wonder if Dale could talk them into it. If necessary, we could offer to supply barrel blanks, chambering reamers, and ammo (Hornady) to regulate the gun. If we could make this work, I for one would pony up with a deposit.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I'll be talking to the Chapuis father/sons tomorrow at the Rambouillet show and will ask them directly (although I bet they listen to Dale with a lot more interest than to me). I did ask them by e-mail if they were thinking about chambering for that round and the answer was no, they are going to chamber the .375 H&H Flanged this year. But they'll do anything on a custom basis and if somebody comes up with a group order it just might work.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a 450/400 in the Chapuis 375 frame would be a winner for sure.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I think a 450/400 in the Chapuis 375 frame would be a winner for sure.

Me too if they can keep the weight down.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will,

Down to exactly ??? pounds and ounces?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
Will,

Down to exactly ??? pounds and ounces?

I know it is impossible* but 8.5 lbs. would be nice.

*They could but wouldn't would be my guess.

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Evolution rifles is making a 450/400 3 inch off a Chapuis frame. Unfortunately it only has 24 inch barrels. I've handled one at the DSC last year.

But stop! Hold the presses! Stand by for BREAKING NEWS!Heym should be building a 450/400 3 inch. with 26" barrels! Talk to New_guy and get the skinny from him. He was instrumental in getting Heym to produce the rifle!

I think it would be an excellant rifle. Unless you buy one of Butch's rifles, Heym is the only other NIB 450/400 production rifle around!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RUSTY,

I heard there are rumblings in Germany about this caliber,

and what you just said is going to become inaccurate. NO

insult to you intended, as you are an apologist of the 450/400
3" I'm sure you'd be happy to see more available for the guys. clap

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd think that 9.5 lbs would be fine. I wouldn't hold out for 26" bbls.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I asked Dale a few weeks ago. No to the 450/400 but the 375 flanged is on. I wonder if enough requests would convince them... Hmm...perhaps a large group buy is in order.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
ut stop! Hold the presses! Stand by for BREAKING NEWS!Heym should be building a 450/400 3 inch. with 26" barrels! Talk to New_guy and get the skinny from him. He was instrumental in getting Heym to produce the rifle!

It's a fact, Rusty.

Barrels are being made as we speak and there's ammo in Germany.

Beyond the new chambering, I can tell you that you'll love the new "finish" too...

Here's a sneak peek.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris

That is great case coloring! Wow.

Do they have a standard weight for these yet?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chris
Looks very nice.Do you know what the frame width, measured between the balls is on the 470 vs. the 400?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
WOW! Thanks, for the preview Chris!

quote:
and what you just said is going to become inaccurate

I agree! There is a good reason for the resurgance of the 400 Jeffery. It works!
It ain't perfect, but it does offer a lot for a NE round!

I look forward to more rifles chambered in 400 Jeffery.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Manion:
Chris

That is great case coloring! Wow.

Do they have a standard weight for these yet?

Jim - Alfred Schiling in Suhl is doing the case colors. He also does Piotti, Famars, some others in Europe. You also see his colors on the Austrian guns (Hambrusch) and better German Guns (Ziegenhahn.) He's a talented guy.

With the longer barrels, the weight should be right at 9.5 lbs.

quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:

Chris
Looks very nice.Do you know what the frame width, measured between the balls is on the 470 vs. the 400?

Tony - 400 & 470 share a common frame. The first 4" of the barrels are the same (cylindrical), but the last 22" are profiled proportionally to caliber.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Chris,
is the case coloring going to be available for all calibers?
any extra cost?
thanks.

DRSS

Posts: 2283 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I talked to Vincent Chapuis yesterday at the Rambouillet Big Game show and he confirmed that Chapuis will NOT be chambering their double rifles in the 450/400 in the near future. Looks like Heym may be the first with one on the market.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I'm in if interest counts for something. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Patience, young patiwans!

I have a feeling that the Heym is going to be "the 450/400 3 inch" double rifle.

Heym already has a great reputation as a quality builder. I'll most certainly be taking a look at the rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I'd sooner buy a .500 NE in a Chapuis than the .450/.400. But that's just my if the first smack doesn't do it right away and fast, then get a bigger hammer philosophy, I guess.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
If one was absolutely confident as to their ability to accurately place shots it probably wouldn't matter whether it was a 500, a 470, a 450/400, or the little 9.3x74R.

A guy was telling me last night about some fellow that shot or shot at a leopard with Ingwe Safaris this week in Zim. At the shot the leopard dropped out of the tree and charged straight for the blind. His brother, the PH, luckily dropped it at about 5 yards. In all his years of hunting leopard, he never had another leopard do that.

Bring out the big guns. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Will,
What caliber rifle did the guy shoot the leopard with?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
A newspaper reporter I ain't!! I'll try to find out some more details.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Will, that's alright. I thought you might have it at hand. Really not important, in most cases, shot place is always more critical than caliber.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Since I am not likely to hunt Elephant or Rhino and will probably not shoot a lot more buffalo, the .400 Jefferey (a.k.a. .450-400 3-inch) makes hetter sense for me personally. I know that the 9.3x74 would be almost as practical, but I just like the idea of the .400 better.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3845 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kudu4u
posted Hide Post
I might be interested in the Heym .450/400 if a group buy was possible. I have more business in Africa!!

"In these days of mouth-foaming Disneyism......"--- Capstick
Don't blame the hunters for what the poachers do!---me

Benefactor Member NRA

Posts: 477 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote