THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Best Loading manual for nitro express cartridges
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Loading manual for nitro express cartridges
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted
I'm often asked, by young guys new to nitro express cartridges, especially for double rifles, which manual is the absolute best for Nitro Express cartridges!

I have to say I really don't know, as most of my loading for these rifles was done long ago before the manuals available had any data at all for them.

I simply kept records as I worked these loads up from very light starting points till I got a load that either showed sign of pressure, or shot to regulation. Then over the years, I simply used these loads with a little tweeking to match the rifle I was loading for.

The newer powders that weren't available when I was doing my loading experiments, are utilized, by asking those I trust, who have used them, for my starting points, and worked them up the same way, as I did the old ones!

So I must plead ignorance about manuals available today. I list of what is good today would apprecieated, so I know what to tell these youngsters!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd start with "Any Shot You Want".

Aside from that, the manuals published by all the big guys have little information on NE loads. Norma and Lapua have data for the 470, as does Barnes (I think).

But, like you said Mac, they are constantly adding to their database. So the best place for the most current load information would be to start on all of the major powder and bullet manufacturer's websites.

I know that Norma & Lapua have current sites, and GS Custom maintains a lot of information on their site (GS has the most comprehensive powder burn chart I have yet seen).

And of course there is the ever valuable search feature on AR. Go to the reloading section and enter the caliber of choice.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pierre van der Walt has put together a great book with a collection of loads for all the big bores (book goes from 9.3x62 through 600N). The load data is not bullet brand specific and is a compilation from many sources but does have bullet weights and powders from about every powder manufacturer(SA, US, Aus, Ger, Fr, Fin, Swe).

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Do you happen to have the name of the book?

And I'll take some 474 cup points when they're ready!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim

I will get the details and email address when I go home for lunch. Right now you will have to order from SA. The last time I chatted with Pierre, he didn't have US distributor yet. May I suggest that, just to get the ball rolling, you call a few companies or book dealers that might be interested in carrying the book for US customers (Midway, Wolfe, etc.). That would help out everyone.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents:.....I need advice.
I have a S/S 9.3x74R that was regulated using 54 gr. of Vihavuori N140 and 250 gr. Nosler.
But....I have not got this powder. Can you suggest ANY loads/USA powder that might duplicate??
Thanks.
Alex

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
You guys are all way off base.

The best place for NE reloading information is:

www.accuratereloading.com

I've learned more about reloading the NE rounds on here than anywhere else.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best book I have seen is "Shooting the British Double Rifle" second edition, by Graeme Wright.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim and others

Pierre's book is called "Big Bore Cartridge Load Data Collection"

It was published by/for BASA (Big Bore Association of Southern Africa) ( www.bigbore.co.za ) and is available from BASA and Zimbi Books ( www.zim-bibooks.com ) for R260 ((~43US) plus postage.

It contains load data from many sources including Graeme Wrights, Any Shot..., Wolfe Pubs, etc.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I use Big Bore Cartridge Load Data Collection and Any Shot You Want. Both seem to be pretty comprehensive.

Mike

Posts: 21387 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The problem with "Any Shot You Want" is that it is bullet specific for A2 odd weight, not for doubles mono bullets.

I think Graeme Wright's "Shooting The British Double Rifle" is by far the better of the two.

As a bonus it gives a very good description of how to develop a load to shoot to the rifles regulation.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
You guys are all way off base.

The best place for NE reloading information is:

www.accuratereloading.com

I've learned more about reloading the NE rounds on here than anywhere else.

Big Grin 577, we all know that, but these kids want a book they can hold in their sweaty little hand! wave

DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not forget to check the reloading forum at www.nitroexpress.com. Lots of good nitro express loads posted there.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I'll E-mail this string to the kids, so they can get their manuals. I'd like that RSA book myself! beer

DRSS Charter member

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
The best book I have seen is "Shooting the British Double Rifle" second edition, by Graeme Wright.

I will second this. After reading this book, one will have better understanding of the history and process of loading for the double rifle.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote