Find
Notify
Tools

Left Handed - DR Options?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted
What is the usual cure for being left handed and wanting a double rifle? Do you use it as it is, have a new stock made, or have the factory stock modified?

Using a rifle with the cheek piece on the wrong side would just bother me to the point of not being able to fully enjoy the pleasure of shooting a double rifle.

What would you do?

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Used I presume??

Preferably ,for me at least, I'd have one made to fit, if i could spare the expense.

When I switched to the left side, I had trouble with the standard trigger arrangement for a bit.

Having true left handed triggers would be nice, but $$$$$$$$$$. Eeker

Shoot the rifle a bit see how it works for you, the decide on the $$$$

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm lefty. I don't find right barrel front trigger an issue, but I have the triggers twisted for a lefty, not expensive, btw.

For a rifle without an extended top strap, you can have an offending wrong side cheekpiece removed and the stock bent. Some wood removal/sanding/thinning of the comb on the right side may be nessecary for "perfection" as well. All this is not very expensve.

For a rifle with an extended top strap, and I have two, removal of the offending cheekpiece plus thinning the comb and removing wood on the right side has "built in" sufficient cast on to make the rifle fit well. Also not very expensive.

Ultimately, restocking may be required, and is the best option, though expensive.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:

What is the usual cure for being left handed and wanting a double rifle?

Searcy

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
or heym they make left handed rifles as well.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Searcy is a good choice, or you can watch the classified ads on AR, gunbroker, etc. I found a very nice left hand Krieghoff on AR for a great price. Sometimes better lucky than good.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
It's not just a cheek piece - left hand triggers and palm swell are the gadgets that make a double what is suppose to be - fit perfect extention of your arm and it would be a pity to left it unperfect.

Tho you can get used to RH stock and RH triggers as well - I was raised by right handed rifles and didn't find it as a snag until recently when I was able to get a kick out of true lefties.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None of my rifles, of any description, has a palm swell. Shotguns either, for that matter.

As with many things, they are subject to personal preference, and I really, really don't like them.

I don't think I've ever seen one on any English rifle, btw, have you?

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think new_guy www.heymusa.com had said in the past that HEYM has the ZERO UPCHARGE lefty option.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
I think new_guy www.heymusa.com had said in the past that HEYM has the ZERO UPCHARGE lefty option.

Jack, this is true, no lefty charge for cast on (cast off for lefty), lt. check piece, triggers bent for lt. handers.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:

JPK

Nope - but as you said - matter of personal preference and I do like it (as I do like fiber beads, but that is another story) beer

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:

JPK

Nope - but as you said - matter of personal preference and I do like it (as I do like fiber beads, but that is another story) beer

Shhh, quiet on the fiber beads.. I like them too, though one my bolts.

JPK

Free 500grains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis will build you with a left hand cheek piece but when I ordered mine (UGEX) I passed on the cheek piece and just ordered the rifle without cast. Shoulders and points just fine. Opening the rifle and location of the triggers both seem natural to me.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought this LH Searcy here on AR...most reasonable price.
ND Wink

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrodave:
I bought this LH Searcy here on AR...most reasonable price.
ND Wink

I am thinking about doing the same.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote