New
Find
Notify
Tools

Africa and the 9.3x74R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm setting up my Merkel 141 for a Cape buff hunt. Here's the big question, I would like to use Woodlieghs because of the same bullet style in soft and solid. The 320g Woodliegh seem like great buff medicine but the gun only makes 2100-2115 fps. The 286g Woodliegh soft and solids are making 2330 fps. It has the the Merkel adjustable regulation and shoots both bullet weights well. Which bullet weight would you use for cape buff?
Bullets like the Barnes TSX and the 286 North fork are too long and get into the powder capacity, neither made any speed.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
having used a 9,3x62 for buffalo culls and problem animal control for many years I am quite satisfied with the 286grn. The woodleigh softs are a tad on the soft side, but a perfect for a broadside shot, and since you are using a double you can always opt to use a solid if that is the shot presented.

You didn't say where you would be hunting. In many areas a 100 yard shot is a real probability so the 286 grn bullets make sence. Hunting in the Zambezi valley in may when shots are likely to be 30m or less and "who cares" which weight you choose

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SWD:
Bullets like the Barnes TSX and the 286 North fork are too long and get into the powder capacity, neither made any speed.

I do not understand this, about the NF's. I've loaded the 286 gr. NF solids to easily 2350 fps (and above). They are slightly compressed, but why care?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, my gun seems to have a short throat and I have to stuff the NF way down there with extreme compression. I was only getting around 2200 with several different powders. What powder are you using? I was bummed because the NF was my first chioce.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I still do not understand, but I guess it is possible with the softs. With the solids there is hardly a throat problem, unless there is no throat! Smiler

Using RL-15. I wonder if there is a limit to the solid's velocity, 'cause they were screaming out of the Chapuis! I toned it down to ~2350 for the 286 gr. which is the nominal velocity.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Did you think of the Swift A Frame 300 grs? Should be optimum.

Yes, I don´t know a Solid in that weight - perhaps GS???
( but its a totally different form )

H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just hoping to keep the regulation as simple as possible with the same bullet in a soft and solid...So far things are coming together with 320 Woodleighs. Regulation is almost done and it's going to Alaska next month with me for black bear and moose. Then to Zimbabwe the first part of 09'.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
bewildered So why have you not fixed the throat problem?

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SWD
Do a search on my previous posts on my use of my 9,3 Chapuis in Zimbabwe. I have used it on 3 Safaris to Zim, totaling @86 days of hunting.

I have shot game from caracel and klipspringer, to kudu over 300 yards, to buff and at 5 yards, elephant, all with 286 grain bullets.

The 9,3 has performed perfectly for me.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Dittos on what 450 said. I have a Merk in 9.3x74r. I have used 286s with nothing but good results. Don't put too much emphasis on velocity. Buffalo hunting isn't really a long range game.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i use the 300 gr a frame almost exclusively. works great in my rifle & hits the same impact point as the 286 grainer

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the Northfork cup points, they sure work in a 9.3x62 on buffalo....The 300 gr. Swifts sound good. I have seen the 9.3x74 used with Woodleighs and they worked well as did the Nosler 286 gr.

I think because of the mild velocity that does not tear up bullets the 9.3x74 is pretty good with almost any bullet short of the 270 gr. Speer.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray, can you tell me what is wrong, or rather, what is the correct application for the 270 Speer? They shoot extremely well in my Tikka 512SD and I would hate to give them up. I was planning on using them in the USA (deer, pig), and perhaps for plains game in Africa.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
They are just too soft and tend to come apart at the least resistence..I found them too soft on Mule Deer and went to the 286 gr. Nosler....

I was shooting them in my 26 inch barrel 9.3x62 at near 2600 FPS and I thought that could be a factor, so loaded them down to 2400 FPS and they were still a bit soft for my taste. I wouldn't take a going away shot with them. I think they would work at 2200 FPS but thats just a guess.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter I have shot a few deer and pigs, including a @320 pounder with the 270 Speer out of my 9,3 Chapuis double.
I load them over 59gr if RL 15 for 2490 fps. I have only recovered one bullet, it was from the big pig and it mushroomed and held together well.

I have no problem using it for deer and pigs, but I would not use it for bigger game.

In Africa you nevfer know what you will run into, I recommend the 286 Woodleigh Soft or the 286 Nosler Partition.

I would also carry at least 10 286 Woodleigh Solids incase I bumped ito a buff or elephant or even a rino, even if I was not hunting them.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I think the 270 gr speer would be a good 9.3X57 bullet. Just a bit less velocity there. Not for Africa. Packy

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen. I am still waiting for some 286 gr. Partition seconds to become available! I have the Woodleigh softs.
Ray, While I have not chronographed my 270 Speer loads, I expect them to come in around 2300fps in my 9.3x74R.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks gentlemen. I am still waiting for some 286 gr. Partition seconds to become available! I have the Woodleigh softs

Peter,

Dare I ask why you are buying "Seconds" when considering going after DG? I don't know what your intentions are, or, if you're just buying these to use for "paper punching", so I'll leave it at that.

I can only say that cutting corners with regards to ammunition is a Biiiiig! mistake.

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff, valid question. I do load development with the seconds and then confirm with the "firsts". It can get expensive developing loads for a double.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
The 286grn Woodleigh in the PROTECTED POINT and SOLID bullet would be my choice for buffalo with the 9.3x74 if the Swift-A-Frame bullet was not a choice.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Don´t overlook the RWS 286 grs Solid. Its a steel - mantled bullet of traditional form.

I bought some one or two years ago, so they seem to be still there!

Coupled with the same weight NP: sight in for the "softs", if you have to use the Solids it will be only close ...

H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arminus, I am not sure, but I don't think these (RWS solids) are available in the USA. I am currently trying out 250 gr. Swifts and Woodleigh 286s as softs, but don't have a solid yet.
Peter.