New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel 141 in Zimbabwe...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got back from Zimbabwe on monday. I used my Merkel 141 in 9.3x74 on buff. My buddie used his Chapuis in the same cal. We both used 320g Woodleigh soft and solids. Mine at 2100fps and his at 2250fps. Both guns performed great! The softs both stayed in as expected. My second shot, the solid went in the L/R butt and exited ahead of the rt/ft shoulder. Over 5' of penetration! Mu buddies solid spined him and also exited. Our PH loved my 141, such a small and potent package. My buff went 38" with great bosses and his went 37" also with great bosses. Not real big, but both nice old loners covered in dry mud. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Dont cut yourself short....37" and 38" buffalo are very good. Look forward to the photos!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about trying the 320 grain Woodleighs in my Chapuis - what powder did you use and how many grains to get those velocities?

Scott

Posts: 307 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Merkel likes 60.5g of H4350 with the 320 Woodliegh, Norma case and Winchester WLR primer. 2114fps. My friend with the Chapuis uses IMR4064. I don't know how much. The Chapuis seems to handle a much hotter load, although with the performance I saw at 2100fps I don't see any reason to go any faster. Also my recovered bullet weighed 314grains. It did not hit heavy bone going in but did lodge against the off shoulder bones. You'll also see a big difference in recoil from the 286g.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote