Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle Weight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted
Proper double rifle weight is a topic that is discussed from time to time on this forum. One group believes that double should weigh much less and another feels the English doubles are of "proper" weight.

I peruse the Double rifle advertisements on Guns International daily, looking for that special deal. Today I read something that I found interesting.

"Here is a tough-go-to-work double that will stay together at 12 lbs. 3 oz. Most English doubles in this caliber from this period are less than 11 lbs. and they do not stay on the face as long."

A question for the more experienced Double rifle shooters, is this fact or a sales pitch. It does seem to make sense as long as the weight is in the proper places.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
Most English doubles in this caliber from this period are less than 11 lbs. and they do not stay on the face as long.

. . . because the English doubles less than 11 pounds actually get carried and used in the field while the 12 pound plus doubles get left at home on the rack because no one wants to lug them around. Cool

Mike

Posts: 21385 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
Overall weight of the rifle has little to no bearing on it's ability to stay on face. Mostly because additional weight is mostly in areas it isn't necessary. Some of thatcweight could be in the wood. Barrel construction plays part; monoblock being heavier, chopperlump or shoelump can be lighter. Who knows.

More important is if it was fit on face and on the circle correctly. Other things like steel quality, bearing surface between bites, fit of and type of third bite play a much larger role. Overall weight is way way down on that list.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
My 470 Evans weighs 10.75 lbs. After carrying it on 2 elephant hunts I wouldn't want it any heavier. I have personally shot it over 500 times and it's still tight on face.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weight is less important than fit.

My .500 wieghed 10lb 10oz and was lovely to shoot.

My 500/450 I think 10lb 7oz.

Both fit and shoot very nicely.

Some heavier doubles I have handled do not fit and if they do are too heavy.

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1929 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thsi thread of mine from some ago might be of interest:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...001008741#9001008741
MacD had some good (IMHO) comments.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
My 450NE weighs right at 10.25 lb. No heavier, please.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Did not see a caliber...sounds just right for a 577... Smiler

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not all British doubles weighed a "proper weight". I had one 450-400 3 1/4 that went 13lbs. 6 ounces. Nicely balanced, though. No recoil to speak of. I'm certain the new owner is pleased! Big Grin

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .475 weighs in at 10,6 lbs....I think that is proper for caliber..

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 500 K-gun comes in a touch over 11 pounds. Perfect for me. Wouldn't want it any lighter.

Posts: 151 | Location: NC | Registered: 11 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
My VC 500NE is 10.25 lbs. No issues. Could be a touch lighter still IMO.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Hopefully my up coming 470NE comes in at just under 11lbs but as it is a customised double that is being built on the larger action this final exact weight will be dictated by balance.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote