THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Owners of 9.3x74R Double Rifles: Muzzle diameters?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Owners of 9.3x74R Double Rifles: Muzzle diameters?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Please post the the diameter of muzzle for your barrels and the make of the DR in 9.3x74R chambering. Barrel length and total weight of the gun would also be interesting. This is aimed at feeling out a rebore to 400 Nitro Express (Aboriginal Missing Link), i.e., from .366 to .395 Caliber.
Thanks. salute

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
Please post the the diameter of muzzle for your barrels and the make of the DR in 9.3x74R chambering. Barrel length and total weight of the gun would also be interesting. This is aimed at feeling out a rebore to 400 Nitro Express (Aboriginal Missing Link), i.e., from .366 to .395 Caliber.
Thanks. salute

My 140E Merkel S/S, 9.3X74R has a muzzle diameter of .529", and a length of 23.5", and weighs 8.3 pounds. IMO a perfect weight for the 9.3X74R double rifle.

My Winchester Euro O/U, 9.3X74R, has a muzzle dia of .520", and length of 23.25" , and weighs 8 pounds even, without the scope.

Hope that helps! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yikes!
Thanks Mac.
With a barrel wall thickness in the grooves for .395 rebore, that would only leave .0670" for the Merkel and .0625" for the Winchester Euro 0/U.

Guess I better think about monobloc of a shotgun with some new McGowen barrels. I get 12" twist that way.

Anybody know what the 9.3x74R standard twist rate is?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Browning Express rifle is .544 inches at the muzzle, weights 7.25 pounds with 22 inch barrels.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot, Twist is 1 in 14.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My FN-Browning CCS25

Muzzle dia : .510
weight (scope incl.) : 8,4 lbs.
Bbls : 26", 1-14 twist.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, BF and AM, the muzzle diameter spread is interesting. Twist rate noted.
Sounds like the Ruger No.1 will be the shop mule for load development for a 400 NE DR of the future. Apparently the 400 NE, aka 10.03x76R, will have to be a bit heavier and longer than the spritely 9.3x74R DR's.