THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    9.3 FOR HEAD SHOTS ON TURKEYS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 FOR HEAD SHOTS ON TURKEYS
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted
Last year during our fall season I had occation to have several turkeys in my sights. I was only armed with a meager 9.3x74R double rifle. It is legal in Texas to shoot turkeys during the fall season and with a rifle so I figured what the heck. A 1-4x scope is not exactly my first choice for small targets at and around the 100 yard mark. Well, I missed, 4 times. Gun is dead on at 100 but those turkey heads are small and moving. I know I could have body shot them but I was hunting for dinner.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try solids with a body shot

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
Take it from an old turkey hunter of many seasons: Forget about shooting for the head with a rifle.... at any distance. It's futile and worse, you'll go hungry. The turkey's head is constantly moving except in those rare instances when he/she is standing at attention. If you must use a rifle, aim for the junction where the neck meets the body. If you hit a bit farther back, not to worry. The bullet from a 9.3 will act as a FMJ and just punch right thru.

Head shots are for shotguns at close range or dreamland.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot my turkey last year with a 375 H&H 260gr Accubond. Very little damage. The taxidermist was impressed and as soon as I can I'll post pictures. He says the bird will be done in june. I can't wait!

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I have used 286grn FMJs for Guinea Fowl. Wink

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good success shooting for the base of the neck with 9.3 and .375 rifles out to fifty yards. Mostly ruffed grouse and willow ptarmigan.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brain1

I have shot several dozen turkeys with a rifle, Many with my 9,3...

Think about this. All of the Gobblers [and hens, hens are legal in many parts of Texas in the fall] breast, is below the beard...

So with a rifle I aim just above the beard, which is a much bigger area than just the head.

Also, if the turkey is turned sideways to you if you hit just above the top of the wing, you will not mess up the breast.

Or you can shoot at the top of the leg, and pretty much miss the breast as well.

I have shot turkeys with solids in my 9,3, but you must hit them pretty well center of the breast to hit the heart lung, to kill them clean.

I have shot turkeys in the head, pretty close up with a 45 ACP.

ozhunter, I have shot several Guinea Fowl in Zimbabwe with solids in my 9,3 as well...
They are my favorite African meat to eat...

The wife and I shot a bunch of them with our 12ga Drillings as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I googled up Texas Fish and Game:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/pu...ual/hunt/game_birds/

Seems to vary on a county by county basis and I saw a reference to east tx, shotgun only for turkey. And finally some Youth rules and reg for turkey. As usual a complicated mess.

I went most of my life and never saw a Turkey, now they hang out around my bird feeders, in mass. It is another great wildlife management success story. I think now, we could simplify the hunting regulations. Problem is- a whole, industry has evolved around the Turkey hunter.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote