Notify
Tools

Meaning of regulation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Mac,

I get what you are saying about each barrel having it's own inherent accuracy and as the distance is increased, that barrel's grouping will expand. If both barrels are properly regulated to shoot it's respective group parallel, since the barrels are only 1/2" apart, anything larger than a 1" group (which will occur at some distance) from either barrel will eventually cause some bullets from the right barrel's group to intermingle with bullets from the left barrel's group, thereby appearing that the barrels are crossing when in fact, the group centers are still 1/2 inch apart, to infinity.

Is that it? If so, I think you're correct!

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Mac,

I get what you are saying about each barrel having it's own inherent accuracy and as the distance is increased, that barrel's grouping will expand. If both barrels are properly regulated to shoot it's respective group parallel, since the barrels are only 1/2" apart, anything larger than a 1" group (which will occur at some distance) from either barrel will eventually cause some bullets from the right barrel's group to intermingle with bullets from the left barrel's group, thereby appearing that the barrels are crossing when in fact, the group centers are still 1/2 inch apart, to infinity.

Is that it? If so, I think you're correct!

That is absolutely correct! If I had said it that way, instead of the 1500 word explanation maybe some others would have gotten it as well!

…………………………………….Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Todd, and all who live here!………………………………………. beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doubleriflejack:
Mac, you are 100% accurate in what you say about regulation, and I commend you for repeatedly trying to explain it to some who are so sure that you, and I, are wrong. Here we go again, too, with Jorge again preferring to call someone's post "bullshit" only because he still can't understand the truth, and won't research the concept himself. Frankly, I, like you, Mac, tend to want to give up too, throw up my arms, just move on, and say that I don't give a rat's ass; leave slow learners in their ignorance. <<SNIP

SNIP>> Our Mr. Atkinson says that he has shot more double rifles then the average bear........and I don't doubt that.

Doubleriflejack, First let me say both Ray and Jorge are good guys and neither of them are stupid guys! Jorge is a fighter pilot who has landed on Aircraft carriers for some time, and has survived a lot of combat! You don’t get to do that and survive by being stupid. He is simply mistaken on the issue of proper regulation! That has nothing to do with intelligence; it is only that he is not convinced!

Ray Atkinson has been very successful shooting his double rifles on some real bite-backs over the years. That fact has nothing to with his understanding of proper regulation, or the working up of loads for his doubles! The way he loads his doubles is because of the way he thinks they are supposed to work! Because of the fact that he uses his doubles the way he thinks they work, (no more than 100 yds) it works for him! Absolutely nothing wrong with that mind set as long as it works for him that’s great. That fact, though, doesn’t mean his way of using a double rifle is getting all the rifle has to offer!

Both the guys are of the opinion that a double rifle is only a 100 yd max rifle is where the problem is with their thinking. The factory barrel regulators and sight regulators do not share that opinion however!

I have zero problem with those who disagree with me, it doesn’t change the facts. There is nothing wrong with expressing one’s opinion on any subject here! If it disagrees with others here that is OK because that is what makes a FORUM!

I’ll simply leave it to those reading which they choose to take as fact!

.................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Happy Thanksgiving Mac!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37, what is interesting is if you have a double regulated say for 50 yds with a certain make of ammo, it will usually put them in a 2" circle (give or take) and probably 3-4" at 100 (I cant´t shoot that well offhand). Then, if it had QD scope mounts, put the scope on, sight it in for the right barrel and see the difference from the left !! the scope changes barrel harmonics quite a lot !, best, Mike

Posts: 110 | Location: SW Spain and London UK | Registered: 22 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A properly regulated double should not cross at normal hunting ranges.

Theories aside. Here is what will really happen.
It would be very rare for the barrels to be regulated EXACTLY parallel, to Invinity.
Lets be real.

So one of two things will happen.
Either there is some distance at which they will cross, or as range increases they will spread farther appart.

Now, I know that my doubles do not cross at least as far as 300 yards.
I have shot the 450/400 and the 450 No2 on rocks that far away, and no signe of crossing have been observed.

I have shot my 9,3 at 300 yards on paper quite a bit and find that the barrels spread out a little at 300. Not enough to cause me to miss a coyote at 287 yards, or an eland at a little over 300.

I have never missed an animal because of any inaccuracy of one of my doubles.

I have never had to refuse to take a shot, because I was hunting with a double.

I have refused to take some shots because I was not stable enough, but it had nothing to do with the fact that I was hunting with a double.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aha! the villian has been exposed..Thats about it Jorge, Internet BS, you nailed it..The bottom line to this subject is "s--t happens" beer

I was forced to deal with this as I regulated one double barrel rifle that I built with the help of a great gunsmith..That is why I never built another one. I have watched seveal guys regulate doubles and they do it all the time and it is amazing how quickly Butch searcy can bring one together and be at the resturant drinking coffee while I would still be staring at the damn thing.. cuckoo

BUT all is not lost I can take a 3 corner file and sight one in with fewer shots than most..but thats a homer

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote