THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Searcy Field Grade, I missed out.... So what do I buy now??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Searcy Field Grade, I missed out.... So what do I buy now??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I thought I had ordered a Searcy Field Grade, but I was too late. It is a long story, but I had one order form/check lost in the mail, and I was so dang busy with kids, work and holiday family visits.

In any event, what should I buy now for the same money? First off I have a strong preference for at 450 3 1/4 Nitro Express. I had planned to pimp out my Searcy Field Grade with ejectors, night sights and talley scope mount. This would have cost just under $13K.

So what company would make a 450 NE with ejectors for $13K or less? Verney Carron??? I saw these rifles in Dallas, but I didn’t see what a new build would cost.

Merkel, Krieghoff and Chapuis do not offer 450 NE.

This will be my first DR, so I do not want to spend the $17K to $20K on a Heym or Searcy Classic. I’ll probably do it eventually, but not on the first double.

If I can live with a different caliber, there seems to be plenty of new and used off the shelf rifles, priced between $9K and $13K. Selecting an alternative caliber is a tough choice for me. I’m not interested in a 450/400. I plan to do some elephant hunting over the next few years, so would a 500 Nitro make more sense than a 470 NE??

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Texas Blue Devil.

Here is a thought...

Since you want a 450 3 1/4" [EXCELLENT choice by thye way], then why not just save a little longer and get the exact double you want the first time?

You will be happier in the long run.

Take a look at the Heym PH model.

They start at 17K. Worth every penny,. It will be the only big bore double you ever need.
IMHO of course.

I would have it set up for the Docter Optic as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Buy my Ritterbusch .450 3 1/4, with ejectors, leather recoil pad, etc. See the pictures on the Champlins website, although the pictures do not show the leather recoil pad JJ installed.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas Blue Devil,

Since this has evolved into an all Texas post, and not to take away from Mike's nice double on the consignment rack at Champlin's, you need to pick up and point/aim all the rifles you are considering. I too agree that the Heym PH model is the best bang for the buck, currently, although I saw some really nice London-made doubles at George's booth last month at the DSC Convention, fairly reasonably priced, but certainly more than the new Heym.

One of the advantages of the Heym is that you can find a rifle that fits you and then measure and order one very similar for LOP, etc. I wish the Heym was about a pound heavier for the heavier calibers, but that can be remedied as well. I'm still doing some break in on my .500 NE 3" (it's way too tight and new).

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I guess I still keep it a Texas thread, do what Kelly said and go look at some; throw some up and see how they fit. Go take a trip and coonfinger some of Champlin's doubles. You will see the qualities you like and some you dont care for. I like Heym's but dont like the cocking indicators behind the fences, it looks ugly to me. When looking for my first double i went to the Vegas firearms show and looked and handled as many as I could.

Mike's Ritterbush looks like a sound gun, I had a buddy that had one 5-6 years ago in a 458 win that was an awesome gun, it shot lights out.

http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=1649

Ken Bush V&C guns are very nice. With the dollar getting stronger by the day (6 cents in a week!) you should be well under your 13K mark.

http://www.kebcollc.com/about.html

I know where there are a couple of older german guns, but one is in a 470 and the other in a 450 no2 that could be had from 13-14K.

Lots of good options out there you just have to look and be ready to buy when the situation presents itself.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm only one state north of Texas so I'll throw in.
When I decided I had to have another double,JJ recommended either a Chapuis or a Heym. The price difference was about 5k so JJ took my measurements and we ordered a 470 Chapuis. The advantage of ordering is the gun is made to fit and you choose the options--in my case a night bead and case colors. The gun fits well and shoots great for a little over 12k.

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like both the Chapuis and the Heym. As it happens, most Chapuis rifles that I've shot do not fit me; too straight, not enough drop. The Chapuis is very accurate and shoots well. For the price, both of these guns are good, utilitarian rifles -- ready to go to work. They just need to fit the shooter. JJ should know and I think his advice is sound.

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE RIFLE MJINES!

Some less common aspects, {light weight, "decoration" of the wood,

short LOP, cartridge trap} on the RECHAMBERABLE .458 Win Mag. rifle

on this site; you need to search through to double rifles, then it's the

last one:

http://bigfivehq.com/searchFrame.htm

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I was impressed with the fit and finish of the Verney Carrons that I saw in Reno. Ken seems to have a nice product at your price point.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
is the word "pre-owned" in your vocabulary?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safaris Botswana Bound
posted Hide Post
We see many calibre's and many makes - and the one that is faultless is the Krighoff - it took me three purchases of doubles to finaly get to the make I wanted in the first place. But you need to feel the firearm to get the perfect fit - I agree with wait for the right buy.
As to elephant gun - shoot the biggest you can handel - and in my opinion - even if it means having a one species gun - the .500 is tops as a elephant DR calibre - and the .416 remington or rigby as a bolt action

Posts: 473 | Location: Botswana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
You could also buy a raffle ticket.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Ritterbusch 458 win mag that is currently being turned into a 450 3 1/4 NE by Mike Merker. Pics of it are still floating around on the Internet-bought it at cabelas. Although I love doubles, my eyes are less than ideal for open sights, so I would be willing to part with it for the right price-13500 would be pretty close. It has all the bells and whistles, ie ejectors, foldable ivory front sight, articulated front trigger, etc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have the patience, just shop around. You might find a Heym 88 although your choice of calibers is not real common (450 X 3.25). I agree it is a great caliber; there are just a lot more 470's and 500's out there
I found my 88B Safari Classic (470) less than $10K. I just plain got lucky!

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blue Devil: I sent you a PM. I have a Heym 450 3.25 PH that is available.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Lou,

I sent you a pm and an email.

I'll try to call you tomorrow.

Thanks!!
Brad

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote