THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Determining factory regulation load?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Determining factory regulation load?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've only shot my Merkel 140 470 with Hornady DG series factory ammo and would like to find out what the factory regulation load was? Just bought a set of reloading dies on sale on amazon and am looking to find out what projectile to start with for best accuracy with my rifle. Do I contact someone at Merkel directly with the rifle's SN? No test target is in the box, bought from Cabela's in 2010.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I would call Merkel. Or someone with a new one can look on the test target; I suspect they are using Hornady. But you can bet that it will be a 500 grain bullet at 2100 fps or something close; you can't deviate too much from that. Plenty of load data that will do that.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, DPCD. I'll give them a try tomorrow. I believe I saw a number floating around for a Merkel USA gunsmith in Atlanta or so, Hubert maybe was his name? I figured it was 500's around 2150, went ahead and ordered a box of 500gr woodleigh softs and 500gr tsx's (on sale a Midway right now....) to give a shot. Looks like plenty of load data for 4831 with both of these projectiles. Really looking forward to starting to shoot my double more. Seems too much of a shame to let it perculate in the safe all the time.

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merkel-USA has an article about this that you may find helpful

http://www.merkel-usa.com/news...e5bcf033564177d0385d

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote