New
Find
Notify
Tools

What double rifle. . . ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
OK guys, I'm wanting a double rifle in .375 H&H, and possibly a .458 Lott. I can't afford a nice Holland & Holland on a contractors salary, but want something reliable and well regulated. I want to use it with my heavy hard cast bullets for fun here in Oregon, but hope to go to Africa one day. For now it will be Black Bear and Roosevelt Elk in the thick timber. I would appreciate some advice from those in the know. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While the caliber’s you listed are great bolt calibers they are not nessacariley the best for a double rifle. You want to use a cartridge with a rim. This will make it a more dependable dangerous game rifle because of more reliable extracton/ejecton of the empty cases. I think a .470 will work as good as a .458 Lott and have great resale. I don’t know your tolerance for recoil but if recoil is a problem you can look at a 450/400 or even a 9.3/74R as the latter is nearly as powerful as the .375 and will work great on all North American game.
I don’t know what your confront level is when it comes to cost but a 9.3/74R can be had in the $5,000 range or less. I had a Merkel Model 140-2.1 on my table this weekend for around 12,500.
Butch Searcy will build you a PH grade rifle for about the same basic price. There are several in this price range such as Hyme and I am probley forgeting several outhers. Then you get into the more expensive rifles like the Westley Richards basic rifle starts at $53,270.
I do recommend you start with a new production rifle. The benefit of new is you can have it made to fit you.
You can find some used guns that may be a good bargain if they fit you. I would stay away from the older “collectable†guns till you get some experience.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
check out this 1... http://www.tjf-jagdwaffen.de/english/index.htm the top gun in .375 h&h is dale nygaards' rifle..go to "assortment" and pick out double rifle...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DWright:
OK guys, I'm wanting a double rifle in .375 H&H, and possibly a .458 Lott..."

You will get lots of advice to avoid these two cartridges in a DR..... most of it pretty good!

"I can't afford a nice Holland & Holland on a contractors salary, but want something reliable and well regulated. I want to use it with my heavy hard cast bullets for fun here in Oregon, but hope to go to Africa one day. For now it will be Black Bear and Roosevelt Elk in the thick timber. I would appreciate some advice from those in the know. Thanks in advance.

You can't go wrong with a new or gently used Chapuis DR in 93.x74R with a QD scope setup. I have not used this combo in Africa (YET), but it served me very well in Wyoming this fall on a combo antelope and elk hunt. Just an awesome rifle/cartridge combination. My antelope was @ 86 yards with open sights and the elk was at 267 yards with the scope. GREAT FUN dancing

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed!!! You cannot go wrong starting out (and staying) with a Chapuis in 9,3x74R.

Absolutely going to be my first double, I hope this year.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
SmilerAnother vote for the Chapuis. 9.3 x 74R should be a wonderfully gun to shoot. I have a 470, used in Africa for several trips now. Unless you really need the 458 kind of stopping power, the 9.3 would be a more flexible choice (read: less recoil!)

There is also a 375 flanged magnum, very similar to the 375 H&H in performance, and designed for double rifle pressures and extraction. But ammo would not be as easy to find as the 9.3.

Double rifles - a great adventure in themselves. I watched a Dangerous Game episode on TV a couple of week ago where an African outfitter/PH used his double on a bear on the Alaska Peninsula. Really a great show. Cartridge he shot with was a 300 rimmed mag (30 Flanged Magnum), then followed into the brush with his extra set of 500 nitro barrels - no fool, he !

Posts: 731 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DWright

Please research my previous posts on the 9,3x74R Chapuis.

It would be a great choice for your first double.

I have used mine in a LOT in, Texas, Montana, Idaho, Canada, and on 3 Safaris to Zimbabwe totaling 86 Hunting days.

Since you seem to be a few years away from Africa a 9,3x74R double would be your best choice.

I have taken game from beaver and bobcat, coyote, to deer, wild pigs, black bear, all manner of African plains game, up to giraffe, my biggest cape buff [in horn, and body size as well], to cow elephant at 5 yards.

A 9,3 double is one of the best hunting rifles on the Planet.

I really like my Chapuis.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really like my Chapuis.

450 NE No2,

You have never left us any doubt!

One of these days, I will just have to get a Chapuis 9.3x72R for myself.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Chapuis also makes a double in .375 Flanged as well as .375 H&H Magnum, but it's not on the same action and it costs more.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all, great advice from those in the know. I don't know much about doubles, so I don't want to have to 'rediscover' the wheel so to speak. Off to see one of these "Chapuis" rifles. Got my first side by side shotguns about 6 months ago, now I have two, and I'm hooked on side by sides in general. Thanks again! Good huntin'

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JPK

Sorry,I cannot help it. I have had such good service from my Chapuis. dancing Cool Big Grin

It has exceded all my expectations, in two dimensions. One, the performance of the Chapuis double as a rifle, the other the 9,3x74R cartridge.

I do not know of any rifle/cartridge combo that could have done any better.

BOTH have been PERFECT IN EVERY WAY.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote