THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A .38 Caliber Straight Wall H&H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A .38 Caliber Straight Wall H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Unless it was an early name for the .38-55 I don't know what this is, except an early hammerless H&H. I have no financial interest and no intent to bid...

Link

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Likely a 375 2 1/2 straight wall 375

one of us
posted Hide Post
Way too early for 375 flanged, which is nitro.There is a 360 2 1/4 blackpowder first listed 1884 Kynoch. 190 grain lead bullet. Listed in cartridges of the world. Bob

Posts: 1283 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This rifle was discussed on NE. Unfortunately the site is currently crashed and not up and running yet.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
This rifle was discussed on NE. Unfortunately the site is currently crashed and not up and running yet.

Any conclusion on what caliber it is?

Posts: 9576 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, I believe the conclusion was rebarreled from a shotgun but not really sure. Will have to wait till the site becomes available again. Cannot recall what those gents decided on a caliber.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
IIRC, I believe the conclusion was rebarreled from a shotgun but not really sure. Will have to wait till the site becomes available again. Cannot recall what those gents decided on a caliber.

I also don't know enough about those old ones to know why it has a tang safety plus appears to have a side safety for each barrel.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Here’s the link to the auctioneer site - the photos may be better or bigger there:

https://richmondfirearms.com/F...e_Rifle_-LOT222.aspx

This type of rifle doesn’t appear to be a common item at this auction house.
Simply taking the barrels off and photographing the barrel flats would be a major help.
Also, H&H is quite helpful in looking up the records of their guns so that would go a long way in clearing up the mystery too.
IMO, the auctioneer owes the seller and buyer both at the least.

I agree that having safeties on each lock as well as the top tang safety is weird.
What is most unusual, and what leads one to think that it was originally a shotgun, is the oversized action balls as compared to the barrels.
I’ve seen this on some old Hollands but this one is way out of proportion - looks terrible.
Plus, the balls are quite squat front to back which is more in the style of a shotgun action.

As to the “38 caliber” designation, knowing how many auctioneers work, they probably just took a 38 Special cartridge and stuck the bullet end in the muzzle and said “38 caliber” - that’s how dumb some of them are!
It is likely either a 360 No.5 Rook or the 360 2-1/4” BPE mentioned above. They could have at least made an attempt to estimate the cartridge length too.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gun is made in the pre 1887 period proofact. If the "38" is marked on the barrelflats it could actually mean its a .500cal.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like the barrels are offset far enough for it to be a rimfire. Maybe there's another set of barrels that are centerfires?

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 827 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless I'm mistaken an AR member is the high bidder.

One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
Ok guys I have the rifle in question in my possession and have picture available to text someone of the barrel flats and receiver water table(inside beside the firing pins is marked "pat. gas check") and rib. I too am trying to figure this out. The rifle is tight and on face, overall very nice, bores are dirty but should. clean up to excellent. Would appreciate any help what so ever. I assume H&H has a way to get factory information, any guidance here would be great.
Thanks

Posts: 672 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wesley timmerman:
Ok guys I have the rifle in question in my possession and have picture available to text someone of the barrel flats and receiver water table(inside beside the firing pins is marked "pat. gas check") and rib. I too am trying to figure this out. The rifle is tight and on face, overall very nice, bores are dirty but should. clean up to excellent. Would appreciate any help what so ever. I assume H&H has a way to get factory information, any guidance here would be great.
Thanks

I am almost positive you outbid BuckStix for that rifle Cool

An email to Holland and Holland with the available information would be my first move.