Notify
Tools

470 Merkel price check
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by afp:
The problem that I have is the way Sabatti's are criticized.

Sabatti ruined their own reputation and lost a great business opportunity just like General Motors did when they tried unsuccessfully to convince the USA a Chevy 350 converted to diesel was the solution to better fuel economy, longer engine life, and reduced ownership costs. How many decades has it taken to restore the diesel engines reputation in the USA?

VW and Mercedes were two companies that made very good diesels but, GM killed the market. I owned 2 VW's with their diesel engine but the dealer network vanished. Yes it was a great diesel but, with no dealer support I abandoned the brand. All these years later, we are finally starting to see diesel cars in large numbers again in the USA. Again, similar to Sabatti, poor engineering and quality control doomed mass produced diesel cars for several decades. Sabatti doomed the lower end DR market in a very similar manner. How many decades will it take to restore their reputation?

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I bought a Sabatti 92 with ejectors from Cabelas in 500 NE. It did not have ground muzzles, I had heard of that issue. I checked for it. However when I shot a box of Hornady 570 DGX through it, at 25 yards the barrels grouped over 7 inches apart. It was very disappointing, two nice groups, over 7 inches apart.

Cabelas gave me my money back without any struggle. I took the targets in and showed them.

I was very disappointed. I really liked the gun and the fit and the price.

The interesting thing was the problem was mostly with the left barrel. The right barrel shot near the point of aim.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Wesley,

There are better choices than a Merkel in the same basic price zip code. Here is one for a little more money,

A 40% Chapuis price premium constitutes "a little more money"? In a world of $7500 brand new Merkels, I think the deal is tough to beat.

JMHO

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
40% more might get you better looks,but a Merkel is a tough gun to beat for practicality & reliability period for the money spent tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
40% more might get you better looks,but

And I am not at all sure it gets you that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all I own 3 merkels sxs, I would buy another without a question. But I just bought a new 140.2.1 in 500NE. The first loading of hornady 570GCX and it doubled, what a surprise since I figured it should kick slightly more then my lighter 458,s. I took the position it must of been me, loaded and it did it again, now I figured there was a problem, from this point on I would put a live round in the right barrel and an empty in the left, this gun has auto ejectors, and each time I pulled the right barrels both barrels would fire. I tried the other way with the live round in the left and only the left would fire.

To say I was a little disappointed would put it mildly, an expensive gun new from the factory and that is a major nick on quality. I sent it back to the factory and was asked if I knew how to fire a double? The repair ticket said they cleaned it and installed a disk for sear spring, I have no idea why it needed to be cleaned as I only fired 12 rounds and I have no idea what a disc installation would do.. I have not fired it again but I surely will do the single round test first

quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
Ive been selling Merkel DR's for 10 years now. This is the first time Ive ever heard of a bent trigger, and I am good friends with the folks at Merkel /Steyr. As far as doubling goes, it is virtually always user fault.

I have personally sold dozens of Merkel DR's and many more dozen Merkel double shotguns. These reports are 1 in 300 and probably less.

Im glad that those of you who have had success with their Sabbattis are happy. But the success ratio of Sabbattis vs. Merkel is no comparison. Mrerkels are far superior and the true data supports that claim.

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned 4 Merkel doubles...2 new and 2 that had less than a box of shells shot. Two were 470's, one was a 500NE and one was a 9.3X74R. All regulated very well once I had the right velocity for their regulation and none have ever doubled. Like any other shelf gun, you may need some fine tuning done by a gunsmith. A friend of mine worked for a wealthy business owner near here and he had several Holland & Hollands. He had a 470 that wouldn't put the right and left barrels within a foot of each other at 50yds....and he did try several different brands of ammo. It happens....

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:
I've owned 4 Merkel doubles...2 new and 2 that had less than a box of shells shot. Two were 470's, one was a 500NE and one was a 9.3X74R. All regulated very well once I had the right velocity for their regulation and none have ever doubled. Like any other shelf gun, you may need some fine tuning done by a gunsmith. A friend of mine worked for a wealthy business owner near here and he had several Holland & Hollands. He had a 470 that wouldn't put the right and left barrels within a foot of each other at 50yds....and he did try several different brands of ammo. It happens....

This doubleing is normally seen on a public fireing range where people who have never before fired a big bore of any kind much less a big bore double rifle. It stands to reason that those folks are a prime target to get a strumming doubleing.

I have been around double rifles for most of my life, and in 58 years since I bought my first double rifle I have never had a double rifle that double discharged that wasn't the result of strumming. I've owned some thirty double rifles in my life, of many makes, some high end UK rifles and several from Belgium
,Germany, Italy, and even a couple made right here in the USA, and I have never had one that had to be repaired for having mechanical double discharge!

The claim that Merkel doubles are prone to mechanical double discharge is plain and simply not true! In my experience full 98% of the doubleings are shooter error, and that is usually because the shooter has no experience with double rifles, and more so with big bore rifles of any kind. In most cases the shooter is shooting someone elses rifle.
......................................................................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Explain my experience, I have 6 double rifles and at least 10 double shotguns, I only had a double with my first Spanish double 50 years ago and that would double only when the left barrel was fired first. There is no way was I at fault period so you need to readjust your percentages. I can see a gun doubling after a while since the action will seat themselves causing internal tensions but this was a brand new merkel only fired at the factory.

quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:

This doubleing is normally seen on a public fireing range where people who have never before fired a big bore of any kind much less a big bore double rifle. It stands to reason that those folks are a prime target to get a strumming doubleing.

I have been around double rifles for most of my life, and in 58 years since I bought my first double rifle I have never had a double rifle that double discharged that wasn't the result of strumming. I've owned some thirty double rifles in my life, of many makes, some high end UK rifles and several from Belgium
,Germany, Italy, and even a couple made right here in the USA, and I have never had one that had to be repaired for having mechanical double discharge!

The claim that Merkel doubles are prone to mechanical double discharge is plain and simply not true! In my experience full 98% of the doubleings are shooter error, and that is usually because the shooter has no experience with double rifles, and more so with big bore rifles of any kind. In most cases the shooter is shooting someone elses rifle.
......................................................................... coffee

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raamw:
Explain my experience, I have 6 double rifles and at least 10 double shotguns, I only had a double with my first Spanish double 50 years ago and that would double only when the left barrel was fired first. There is no way was I at fault period so you need to readjust your percentages. I can see a gun doubling after a while since the action will seat themselves causing internal tensions but this was a brand new merkel only fired at the factory.

RAAMW, Certainly that was probably a mechanical double discharge, no question about that! However of all the double rifles fired over the years I don't think your experience will change the % by very much.

I have had three people get double discharges with my Merkel 470NE mod 140-2 safari double, when firing the back trigger first. They got them with that rifle but I have had that rifle for almost ten years, and the original owner owned it for a couple of years as well.He tells me he never had a DD with the rifle either but he said he never fired it with the back trigger first.

However I often fire the left trigger first on that rifle, and I have never gotten a double discharge with that rifle ever, in a couple of hundred firings! In fact the only double discharge I have ever experienced was with a Merkel 140E-1 a 9.3X74R double. That was clearly a strumming because the chambering being so small compared to the doubles I usually shoot that I was not ready for the very heafty recoil it had and I strummed it because I didn't hold the rifle tight enough.

SO! the guys who shot my 470NE did SOMETHING that it is quite evident that I do not do!
..........................You be the judge! coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote