THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Flying to Africa w/ Expensive DBL Rifles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying to Africa w/ Expensive DBL Rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would you have any reservations about checking a expensive DBL rifle on a plane?

By expensive, I'm talking about a high end gun with a value >$40,000.

I have Searcy and even though it's not cheap - I don't have a problem checking it. However, I consider it a working gun and it could be replaced for a reasonable sum of money.

If you do take your high end gun's across the pond, do you insure it through a home rider or just cross your fingers and hope. Or do/would you leave your high end expensive gun at home and take a "working" gun (i.e., gun that is replaceable, like a Searcy, Heym, Chapuis, etc.)

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I take my Searcy and insure it also.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I take very expensive rifles to Africa. They are insured through my homeowner's policy, and I figure for some value through NRA's policy you get as a life member, whatever that might be. There are also specialy insurers available.

In my view, virtually every rifle is replaceable. To have a fine condition, vintage, say, H&H go missing would suck, and if it was historically significant, that elelment could not be replaced, but the rifle could. Jusy my point of view, which is why I don't mind the risk of loss, as far as the rifle, only the $'s, which insurance covers.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken Vintage Rigbys, current production Purdeys , Westleys and my favorite little .470 made by Dirk Schimmel...

ALL were insured by a policy that covers up to 200K for guns in transport anywhere in the world. If anybody is interested I can PM them my agents info. I wouldn't trust just any Homeowners policy when it comes to fine rifles....You need an insurance agent and underwriter that knows guns, expensive guns.

JW

one of us
posted Hide Post
JPK is right on. Rifles, however valuable, are just things and so replaceable. Check out some of the threads on firearms insurance here on the Board or PM JW for his agent as he offers.

Regards

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
JPK is right on. Rifles, however valuable, are just things and so replaceable. Check out some of the threads on firearms insurance here on the Board or PM JW for his agent as he offers.
Regards

+1
The rifles are replaceable but the memory of hunting in Africa with such a rifle for the big five would be priceless and unreplaceable.

Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400
posted Hide Post
I insure all of my guns with SIA (Sportmans Insurance Agency), it is very affordable and they insure for replacement value...

http://www.siai.net/

Posts: 675 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 26 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember N.E.450#2 Haveing one of his double rifles broken by the airlines and got the stock replaced through ether his or there insurance.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
+10 for SIAI. Have insured my guns with them for over 10 years. Good folks, reasonable prices. You can line item your scopes, mount & rings, binos, etc. as well. Home owners, even with riders leave a lot to be desired when problems occur.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had several requests, so, I'll post the info here for all:

www.corevens.com

Tim Hardsock is the agent for firearms programs.

JW out

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 450/400:
I insure all of my guns with SIA (Sportmans Insurance Agency), it is very affordable and they insure for replacement value...

http://www.siai.net/

Siai insurance is very affordable especially taken into account of what you have paid for your rifles. I all ways get the extra insurance on any rifle I take to Africa.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thumb

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Another vote for SIAI. After my first trip with a brand new double and the airlines losing it for a day and not being able to track it, since that trip I have always carried gun insurance, without fail.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For any and all of you guys recommending SIAI have any of you tried to make a claim with them?

I had a an issue with them after making a claim. You know like they wouldn't pay. I've since dropped them like a bad habit.

I am with collectible insurance but haven't the foggiest how they are if they actually need to pay up. I guess you never really know until the moment of truth.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Insurance sounds great until you have to make a claim.
The alternative isn't any better though.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Insurance is a good idea until you make a claim.
Not sure the alternative is better though.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here in the US, I've had good experience with Chubb homeowners policies on some of the tagential issues, like property stolen away from the home. My parents have also had excellent experience with Chubb.

Thinking about it, I've never had a less than eellent experience with Chubb.

For truly expensive items, the key is to schedule them accurately and to provide an appraisal with photos for those things that cannnot be reordered or repurchased readily.

Three examples. My mom had a diamond ring go missing. I won't state the replacement value, but it was EXPENSIVE. Chubb paid the claim without hesitation, based on the jewler who had sold the ring's quote to replace it. BTW, my aging mom later found the ring, but Chubb had paid right off, with no hesitations. Chubb was refunded, of course. My mom also had a bunch of evening gown stolen from my parents car as they were heading south for the winter. Chubb paid pronto on those as well, aggregate loss on gowns = very nice double rifle. My parents were robbed at gunpoint and my mom's diamond wedding ring was stolen, same one she "lost". Again no issues, and the claim was paid based on a new quote for replacement from the dealer who had sold it.

I don't think they would handle a double rifle or any expensive rifle differently.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote