THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Merkel opinions and controversy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel opinions and controversy
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I'll start with this....

I am getting the itch to buy another double. (I previously owned a Searcy .500 NE but sold it several years ago)

I would like to buy another .500 NE. In a perfect world, I would simply order a new Heym and be done with it. Heym seems to be the only universally loved "modern double". Unfortunately, that is not in the budget right now. Realistically, my budget is going to max out around $12k-$13k....so my options are limited to the pre-owned market for the most part, with the exception of perhaps a new Merkel 140 AE, which also falls within the budget.

From years of reading on this forum and others, I know that Merkel is a somewhat controversial brand (due to some folks experiencing double discharges on older model rifles, while other folks I believe just have a general disdain for standard production guns). However, I've also read countless posts and reviews praising Merkels as a no-nonsense, strong, well-built "working gun" without any unnecessary bells or whistles (many of these positive reviews come from fellow AR members).

I know that Champlin Arms and JJ Perodeau are very well-respected here, so I wrote them an email asking their general opinion on Merkel double rifles, strictly from a function and reliability perspective. I received the following response from George Caswell....

quote:
We have never bought, sold or traded for a Merkel. They started their life putting large caliber rifle cartridges on a 20 gauge shotgun action. That can lead to problems and shoot loose rather quickly. What they are doing today I don't have a clue but, in the past, they were not what we wanted to be involved with. There was a time JJ did not want to work on them for fear they could come back to haunt him. Thanks for asking.

I was somewhat surprised to read this response. I have also heard the exact opposite information about Merkel's actions.....that their actions were originally designed for large caliber rifles, and were then adapted for their shotguns. I also believe that both Merkel and Heym utilize an Anson & Deeley boxlock action with Greener cross bolt. So how is it possible for one to be junk and the other to be quality? (I am aware that Heym does a better job of fitting and has extra things like intercepting sears)

Admittedly, there is still a lot about double rifles I do not know. But who is correct here? Who should one believe? Is there a place to get unbiased information about such things....or is this simply a Fox News vs. MSNBC type of topic?

At the end of the day, I am only interested in a double that is 100% reliable and is going to WORK when I need it to, every single time. Any stylistic or cosmetic features come secondary to that.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not going to comment per se on the Merkel, but cheap and double rifle don’t really work in the same sentence.

And given the number of shots that most big doubles fire in their life suspect you are better looking for a clean used double of good quality than buying a cheaper new double. And don’t restrict your search just a particular calibre. Find a good rifle for which you can obtain ammunition.

As for strength of a double rifle action, you can tell if its a true rifle action by the longer length from the breech face to the hinge pin and the greater depth of the fences - ie the breech face back to the wood. And most good doubles should have disk set firing pins.

Saying all of the above, key to strength is good quality steels that are properly forged, machined and then heat treated.

As for shotgun actions. Shotguns work at lower pressures to rifles, but head of a rifle is smaller than a shotgun cartridge so actual force on the action will not be as different the pressure levels might suggest. Also stress and wear on an action is cumulative, and I would be surprised if many double rifles will fire anything like the number of rounds that a shotgun will. It is easy enough to shoot a slab of shotgun cartridges in a couple of rounds of clays or in a seasons bird shooting. How many doubles shoot 250 cartridges in a lifetime of use on big game?

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I had a Merkel 140 in 500NE. It was hell for stout and damned accurate. Gave me absolutely ZERO troubles. Took several buffalo and elephant with it. Only traded it to have a bespoke VC built for me. I'd not hesitate to own another.

My rifle doubled twice, but never when I shot it. Once when my PH asked to shoot it and I assumed a PH knew NOT to put 2 fingers inside the guard, one on each trigger. When he pulled the first trigger, his finger also pulled the back trigger under recoil.

The second time it doubled was when I let a friend shoot it and he admitted he strummed the back trigger. Both were operator error.

I learned from those 2 experiences that when I let someone unfamiliar with doubles shoot my two pipe guns, I only load one barrel until they become familiar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My experience is limited to ONE Merkel, my 140AE in .450-400 3". It has been accurate, reliable, fit and finish are good, and it was a relatively good value. I can't find fault with it. I have owned two other Merkel guns but they were shotguns. Both were as above.

Posts: 234 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I currently have 2 Merkels, a 500 and a 7x65R. I have had a different 500, a 470, 4 different 9.3x74Rs, and a 30-06. I have had ZERO trouble with any of them. I think there is a learning curve with doubles that most people will not take the time to learn. I have seen at least 2 people stick 2 fingers inside the trigger guard. One of them had a double. He was on here at one time so no names mentioned. But my experience has been a good one.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1241 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my years as a booking agent and was with clients on safari most of which had Searcys and Merkels..Saw a problem or two crop up with a lot of rifles both doubles and bolt guns, mostly minor or breakage..The main problem was with doubles by shooters pulling the front trigger first and recoil picking up the rear trigger and calling it a double and blamed it on the gun! Instant fix by pulling the rear trigger first...Somewhere in some magazine some expert said inasmuch as doubles are regulated by shooting the forward trigger first then they must be shot that way and that my friends is pure crap handed down thru the centurys I suppose..

I've seen a lot of Merkels and all shot exceptionally well, the same for Searcy..Todays Searcy is an exceptional gun IMO and Ive owned a number of them..

The nice thing about a Merkel is if it gets confiscated, lost by the airlines, stolen, or whatever, its replaceable, a "good" English double can't be replaced but don't kid yourself there are a lot of English doubles out there that have been shot to death and are not worth a flip, so be careful..

Bottom line is the Merkel is a darn good inexpensive using rifle.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about looking for a used Verney Carron? Great rifles.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
What about a new Sabatti, not the muzzle grinded ones?

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had five Merkel 140's. Two in 500 NE, one 450/400 and two 9.3x74R's. The regulation on all of the 140's was excellent. One of the 500's did have a habit of doubling, which Merkel gladly fixed. I have only had one Heym, an 88 in .470 NE. The regulation was so bad on that rifle that I'll never buy another Heym. I don't think you will go wrong with a Merkel.

Posts: 137 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 04 March 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have a Merkel 140-1 in .470.

It’s certainly not too pretty. The home gunsmithing fiber optic sights are… functional but ugly.

I brought it from another forum member who had some issues with it, including doubling l, and had sent it back.

I first put a scope on it… it’s plenty accurate, and I really didn’t see the regulation shift that so many claim with that. However, a scope ruined the lines and I’ve never had a shot opportunity past 75 yards so I put a Trijicon RMR on it. I’ve killed 5 elephants, 2 buffalo, an impala, and a baboon with it.

No issues with misfires or function. No accuracy problems.

If I didn’t know that the prior owner had some issues with it, I would assume it’s always been a good rifle.

Posts: 10628 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel in 470 NE. A few years ago, as a choice of my own making and for no other reason, I had the wood upgraded on the double, as well as some other minor upgrades done to it by LeRoy Barry of Canyon Creek Gunstocks in Montana (i.e. a steel grip cap with an engraved cape buffalo on it, nice recoil pad, etc. etc.) I also had a fiber optic blade front sight put on by Merkel just after I purchased it. A damn accurate, sturdy, and well built double rifle. the fit and finish are fine, and with the upgrades provided by LeRoy, it is a beautiful double rifle. I also own two Searcys-one in 375 Flanged and another in 450-400. Both are also crazy accurate and I have taken a lot of dangerous game and plains game with all three doubles.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I have been using a Merkel .500 NE 140 since 2010.

I have taken multiple ele and buff with it. It is reliable and accurate.

I would not part with mine as now I have a lot of history with it.

It is a "handy rifle"-- I like its size and weight. Recoil is there no doubt but I have a have a hard time telling any significant difference in it from other .500s and .470s I have shot. I do only shoot R-15 in mine and I can tell the difference between R-15 and IMR 4350 loads -- R-15 being nicer to shoot.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36621 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Recoil is there no doubt but I have a have a hard time telling any significant difference in it from other .500s and .470s I have shot. I do only shoot R-15 in mine and I can tell the difference between R-15 and IMR 4350 loads -- R-15 being nicer to shoot.

Well stated. 100% agree!

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Bottom line for me is that they are ill-proportioned and ugly.

As a wise man once said, life is too short . . . .

Heym doubles have an impeccable reputation for reliability and accuracy.

But I would not buy an 88B for precisely the same reasons as I would not buy a Merkel and instead held out and only bought a Heym after they came out with and many had field-tested the 89B.

Thank you, Chris Sells.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Merkel designed their actions for rifles and also uses the same action for shotguns. Notice how long the water table is on a merkel compared to most double shotguns.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2142 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Did not care from the one Merkel I owned. Handled like a fence post. Similar to the few Searcy's I have handled. All personal opinion obviously. I would try and get to one of the larger hunting shows where you can handle a wide array of doubles from many makers and make your choice. I have bought several excellent British prewar doubles in your price range that are in a whole different league than the Merkel.

I've owned I think 6 or so Heym's. All been good guns, only sold a couple as they were a bit heavier than I liked, I still have 3, all have shot great, however the 375 flanged did take a good bit more range time to get the load correct.

Mac

Posts: 1725 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like McKay said, it's "All personal opinion [and, I might also add, preference,] obviously". That's what makes the world go around. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to get into double rifle snobbery no German or French gun will suffice. They are all a financial compromise. There is a shop in Scottsdale AZ that always has a large collection of classic British doubles going way back and they are amazing. And expensive. The holland and hollands seem especially nice

My Merkel for the money is just fine but my Wilkinson obviously was a better made gun

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
If you are going to get into double rifle snobbery no German or French gun will suffice. They are all a financial compromise. There is a shop in Scottsdale AZ that always has a large collection of classic British doubles going way back and they are amazing. And expensive. The holland and hollands seem especially nice

My Merkel for the money is just fine but my Wilkinson obviously was a better made gun

Haha....I do not have budget for snobbery (I wish I did). I am more concerned with overall reliability and function. This will not be an investment or a showroom gun, I will hunt with it. I wouldn't mind getting something nice to look at, but at the end of the day it needs to be a dependable tool that I can rely on to save my butt if needed.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure the Merkel will fit the Bill. Lots have done it. I am saving my money for the ele hunt and will use one no problem. Going to mount a red dot on it as it takes the RMR mount offered by trijicon as an added bonus. But jeez I’d sure like to take my Wilkinson for nostalgia sakes. Good problem to have and both together cost less than many “classic” doubles I have seen. Way less

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Searcy 450-400 Classic on gunbroker at the moment

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice Searcy 450-400 Classic on gunbroker at the moment

Oh, yeah! I've killed numerous buffalo and other dangerous and plains game with my Searcy 450-400. One sweet, crazy accurate rifle. Rest in peace, Cal. Don't flip over in your grave. Big Grin No disrespect intended.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive had 3 or 4 Searcys, and liked them, Have shot and hunted with the Merkel's. I like the way a Merkel fits and points..For just a hunting gun the Merkels are fine..

The Searcys are a better gun in all respects as a rule and have a better resale value..

A good English gun is the better investment and always has been, but thats questionable these days of changing times.

I wouldn't take a high dollar gun to Africa and donate it to the less than honest luggage handlers and hanger around opportunist in todays airports world wide..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
My Merkel 140 is one of the best pointing guns I own.. It fits me perfect and comes right up aligned every time.

It is great to shoot and very accurate.. Only drawback - its a 416 Rigby (rimless) and has extractors :-(

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Merkels fit me perfectly, and come to point instantly, and inexpensive by comparison to others. The competitors' guns at or near the same money do not fit me..the comb on the Merkel is the reason it points so well for me, I like low comb rifle stocks for irons, and wouldn't dream of a double with a scope or gadgety irons sights of any kind, just one shallow V with a brass bar in the V to a 3/32 Ivory.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one . A 470. I pulled the front trigger 4 times. It shot 8 times. I was done with it .

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years, I have owned 4 Merkels in 9.3x74, 470NE and 500NE. All were very accurate and dependable whether I took them to the farm or to Africa. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Merkel except I'm getting a little old to enjoy the recoil anymore.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ha..ha...ha!! Merkel doubles no matter the caliber have an excellent reputation. Very few come on the used market.

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I had a Merkel 140 in 500NE. It was hell for stout and damned accurate. Gave me absolutely ZERO troubles. Took several buffalo and elephant with it. Only traded it to have a bespoke VC built for me. I'd not hesitate to own another.

My rifle doubled twice, but never when I shot it. Once when my PH asked to shoot it and I assumed a PH knew NOT to put 2 fingers inside the guard, one on each trigger. When he pulled the first trigger, his finger also pulled the back trigger under recoil.

The second time it doubled was when I let a friend shoot it and he admitted he strummed the back trigger. Both were operator error.

I learned from those 2 experiences that when I let someone unfamiliar with doubles shoot my two pipe guns, I only load one barrel until they become familiar.

A doctor friend of mine had a Merkel in 416 Remington mag.

One deer season we during a lunch break. Doc hauls out his double and we proceeded to shoot it in my front yard.

Everybody was taking a turn with it. One gentleman about 70 at the time took it and before we could stop him stuck to fingers into the trigger guard. Causing both barrels to fire at nearly the same time.

He turned with a shocked look on his face.

My wife shot it and decided it wasn't so bad.

Doc later told me it had cracked its frame.

During the same hunt Doc's 12 yoa son shot is first deer.

We were standing around watching doc gut it. As a surgeon he was taking his sweet time.

I Told him Doc we are not trying to save it's life we are planning to eat it.

We all hand a good laugh over that.

Doc told me he was going to let me shoot his H@H 600 nitro but I never got to as he sold his vacation home. he didn't come back to the area.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I just had JJ re-regulate my 500 Nitro with Federal 570gr Solids and install a PMR Red Dot.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. What was wrong with the regulation before?

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Horynadys shot low right and my reloads shot high left. I just decided to have it re-regulated for over the Counter Premium Factory Cartriges.

Posts: 2328 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slider...'Re regulate" Are you talkling about unsoldering the ribs to do so?...pretty big and expensive job.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Re-regulation of a double rifle is unsoldering the forward part of the barrels and moving a wedge to regulate the zero (accuracy wise), New bolt gun enthuists tend to use regulation as a sighting in process, quite common in fact..Nows a good time to make that clear!!Just saying! The use of Woodleigh bullets tends to make such less likely, but thats a whole nuther thread...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
What Ray said. But no it isn't cheap.But it is worth it!!! Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is quite the process. Better take mine out as I remember it seemed to be “on” with hornadys so far will try some other stuff

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
We were standing around watching doc gut it. As a surgeon he was taking his sweet time.

I Told him Doc we are not trying to save it's life we are planning to eat it.

Best line on dressing a big game animal I have ever heard, and one I wish I had been witty enough to use many a time in the past, and one I will definitely steal and use in the future! rotflmo

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one has a double rifle and it works with a load, leave the damn thing alone, its designed to shoot a single load and most do, the others have probably been tinkered with...99% shoot woodleighs as it was designed like bullets of yesteryears doubles...

You can play with a bolt gun or any of todays guns from day one, not a double and its intended to kill large DG, thats it, all else is twaddle!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
If one has a double rifle and it works with a load, leave the damn thing alone, its designed to shoot a single load and most do, the others have probably been tinkered with...99% shoot woodleighs as it was designed like bullets of yesteryears doubles...

You can play with a bolt gun or any of todays guns from day one, not a double and its intended to kill large DG, thats it, all else is twaddle!

Can't say I agree.

I've only had one double rifle that wouldn't shoot to regulation at the design velocity with multiple different bullets, bullet weights, or powder loads. I've had to work up to each, but no problem getting the rifle to shoot properly.

The one that would only shoot 1 or rather 2 loads, is my Chapuis 9.3x74R but ONLY WITH THE SCOPE MOUNTED. Take it off and it shoots whatever you feed it.

My VC 500NE will shoot to regulation with Northforks (CPS and Solids), CEB (Safari Raptors and Solids), Barnes (TXS and Banded Solids). Following Michael458 and Sam Rose's guidance, I even dabbled with the 510 gr Northforks and got them to shoot to regulation.