Find
Notify
Tools

priming .500 NE's
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I have always used a Lee hand-held Auto prime for priming all cartrides.

Since I got a .500 NE...it won't fit in it.

I have just been using the built in priming device on my Lee press...but a pain in the ass not to touch the primers with my fingers.

What do other use to prime these large cases???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36554 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Doc, like you, I just use my RCBS press to prime my .500 Jefferys, .470, and .500/.416. It's a bit time consuming but it works.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use my Rockchucker to prime. Based on the research done by Saeed I don't sweat the bit about primers and fingers.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Confused I admit to never having primed a 500. However since the RCBS (non-universal)simply uses your normal shell holder why wouldn't it work for a 500?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
I use my Rockchucker to prime. Based on the research done by Saeed I don't sweat the bit about primers and fingers.
Peter.

My good friend NF Mike...the originator of NF bullets...and maybe equal to any in the amount of reloading reasearch done...says: "don't do it". Especially with a DG cartridge.

One time when I was loading some .458 loads in thwork up stages...I dropped a primer and picked it and used it.

I chronoed that set and there was one cartridge that dropped to 1920 fps all rest were ~2250...was it that primer??? Don't know...but I don't want to find out looking dwn my barrel at an ele.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36554 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get LEE to make you a shell holder for your priming tool I think. I put one in my lathe and made my own. You can also get a ram prime from LEE or RCBS that uses a standard shell holder. I wish LEE would make their priming tool to just hold standard shell holders.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Get one of the RCBS bench mounted priming units. I got one a few years ago and would never go back to the hand or press priming method. They are one of the best additions I have ever made to my reloading bench!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
anybody used a Lee auto prime II that is mounted on the press?

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the same thing on their progressive press and it worked great, I'm sure it would do fine.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewP...productNumber=556149

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh and if touching primers with your fingers is a problem then several hundred thousand rounds I've shot just turned into duds.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
You can get LEE to make you a shell holder for your priming tool I think. I put one in my lathe and made my own. You can also get a ram prime from LEE or RCBS that uses a standard shell holder. I wish LEE would make their priming tool to just hold standard shell holders.

the .500's won't fit in the notch that holds the shell holder.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
Oh and if touching primers with your fingers is a problem then several hundred thousand rounds I've shot just turned into duds.

Good to know.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
The priming arm on the RCBS press works fine with the primers inserted by hand. Just keep your booger hooks clean and dry and you won't have a problem.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The LEE priming tool uses special shell holders but the Press mounted I think uses standard shell holders.

I just checked and I was right the Ram prime and Auto prime II do use standard shell holders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Especially with a DG cartridge.

Is this because of the risk it might not go off or is there some other reason? I prime my 500/416, my 450 x 3 1/4 and my 500 NE (not to mention my 375 H&H) on the Rockchucker. Have not had a failure yet, but I do try to handle them reasonably carefully. In any case, based on Saeed's research I do believe that the primers vs. fingers story has more to do with gunwriters than with experimental evidence.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was always worried about fingering primers until I went to my first benchrest match and watched how these guys handled primers. No precautions whatsoever, and stupid tiny little groupd.

I know there where no charging, dangerous targets.......but if you want consistency watch a "GOOD" benchrester. Those guys handload!

Posts: 41773 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello,

Hornady hand priming tool that takes RCBS shell holders, with 500 Shell holder, works for 500NE and 470NE.

Fast and easy.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:
Especially with a DG cartridge.

Is this because of the risk it might not go off or is there some other reason? I prime my 500/416, my 450 x 3 1/4 and my 500 NE (not to mention my 375 H&H) on the Rockchucker. Have not had a failure yet, but I do try to handle them reasonably carefully. In any case, based on Saeed's research I do believe that the primers vs. fingers story has more to do with gunwriters than with experimental evidence.
Peter.

It is because it can effect velocity which could lead to not stopping a charge. Hence...my vel reduction in the one .458 round. The drop from 2250 to 1920 might be enough to reduce penetration enough not to kill from a frontal brain shot on an ele.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
go to Reloading and vote in my poll!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
having worked in a plant that manufactures small arms primers in my younger years, I assure you that several people have run their dirty hands all over your primers during packaging, and probably droped a few of them on the floor, prior to you receiving them.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard I:
having worked in a plant that manufactures small arms primers in my younger years, I assure you that several people have run their dirty hands all over your primers during packaging, and probably droped a few of them on the floor, prior to you receiving them.

another good to know post...thank you!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Wow, I touch primers all the time and never had a problem in, let's see...reloading/handloading since '69. Guess my fingers aren't that oily.

Posts: 17108 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
So...to load my .500 NE...for use to hunt ele...it is perfectly fine for me to prime the cases by picking up the primers with my fingers and placing them in the standard press priming tool's cup???

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
So...to load my .500 NE...for use to hunt ele...it is perfectly fine for me to prime the cases by picking up the primers with my fingers and placing them in the standard press priming tool's cup???

I've always done it that way for the shell holders that wont fit in my Lee hand -priming tool.

But "because I've always done it that way" is not a good reason to continue to do so if there is a better way so I am interested in alternatives.

Will RCBS/Hornady/Lee/CH4 shell holders for 600NE and 600OK fit onto an RCBS bench priming tool?

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
A couple of alternatives:

RCBS tool like Lee's uses press type shellholders.

Lee Auto Prime II (I think discontinued though) is a press mounted priming system that uses a holder similar to hand-held autoprime.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
when the primers are manufactured, the last step before inspection is the appliation of a coat of laquer to the business end (usually red or clear, but I have seen green and purple); to kill the mix you need to disolve/penetrate the laquer coat. Theoretically the inspection step will scrap all of the primers that didn't get laquered.

The RCBS tool works fine for the 500 case, but the magazine is too small for the Federal package so you have to dump half and half. When you are done priming you have to take it apart to retrieve your shell holder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forster Coax

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use the RCBS hand priming tool for the 500 NE and found it to do an excellent job.

Posts: 2180 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Mike

Posts: 21212 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I can't believe it takes 29 posts to figure out to use a RCBS hand priming tool!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19307 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:

Yes it is. Just make sure that you don't have any lube on your fingers and that your fingers are clean and dry.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
I can't believe it takes 29 posts to figure out to use a RCBS hand priming tool!

As my Uncle Clinton always says: "There is more than one way to kill a cat than choking him to death on butter!"

What about:

About the same principle as the RCBS tool except uses one of your presses and cheaper!

J. Lane Easter, DVM