Find
Notify
Tools

Twist in Dbl Rifles
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted
Other than wishing I had one I know very little about double rifles but I have been reading a good bit about them [ again! ] and found that Colt made some double barreled rifles in the late 1880's period that had a RH twist in one barrel and LH twist in the other. What reason would they have for this? Try as I might I cannot fathom any good reason for doing this - anybody?
And do any of the other makers use or have used this process?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrapperP:
Other than wishing I had one I know very little about double rifles but I have been reading a good bit about them [ again! ] and found that Colt made some double barreled rifles in the late 1880's period that had a RH twist in one barrel and LH twist in the other. What reason would they have for this? Try as I might I cannot fathom any good reason for doing this - anybody?
And do any of the other makers use or have used this process?

Ignorance, is the only thing I can think of! I think it was someone's attempt to by-pass the regulation process that they didn't fully understand!

The 1878 Colt double rifles were made in 1878 forward into early 1880s. The origenal Pedersoli 45-70 double rifles were exact replicas of the Colt 1878 double rifle,except for the double twist barrels, commisioned by the late Col.Powasnic of the now defunct "TRAIL GUNS ARMORY" of League City, Texas back in the early 1980s. I have serial number 134 from TGA.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote