THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .458 Reduced Loads & 4 Bore RECOIL!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 Reduced Loads & 4 Bore RECOIL!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
I bought a ton of .458 350 grain hornady round nose bullets to use for plinking in my .500/450. I went out to Cal's today to take the punishment from some full power 4 bore loads and try to find a reduced recoil load for my 350gr bullets, so I can work on trigger control. I started at my accuracy charge for my 480 Woodleighs of 102.5grs of IMR 4831. I loaded 102.5, 95, and 90 grains. 102.5 was certainly passable. 95 was slightly better. 90 opened up too much. Because I was looking for reduced recoil load I decided to work around the 95 grain load. I next tried 96, 95, and 94 grains. 96 grains gave me a 1.5" group. 95 grains gave me 1.75" group. 94 grains began to open up. Here's a picture of my 96 grain target:

Cal also had his .450 No.2 out shooting some 400 grain Barnes bullets he picked up at a gun show. Good guess on the loads. This was suppose to be a 6 shot group, but the powder was compromised in one of the cartridges, so it ended up being a 5 shot group. Here's his target:

We also shot some high end loads out of Cal's 4 bore. We shot 10, 12, 14, and 16 drams of black powder with a 1400 grain round ball. We then shot 10, 12, and 14 drams of black powder with a 1943 grain conical bullet. The 14 dram 1943 grain conical bullet in Cal's 22lbs 4 bore double rifle produces 257ftlbs of recoil at 27fps. Ouch! Here's pictures of Cal and I shooting his 4 bore:

Injoy!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm.... Roll Eyes Picture problems. I'll see what I can do.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great time. I'm sorry I missed it.

I love all of that smoke!

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote