THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Distance regulated for on Sabatti 416 Rigby DR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Distance regulated for on Sabatti 416 Rigby DR
 Login/Join

posted
I have just bit the bullet, pun intended, and put Sabatti .416 Rigby in layaway. I read the booklet and it doesn't mention anything about the sight settings.

It has three leaf rear fold down 2, sights.

I am new to the DR interest. Just came back from an easy plains game hunt in South Africa, now have the bug.

Help appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cwasam:
Help appreciated.

First off, welcome to AR and the band of misfit boys and their DR toys.

Rifle most likely is regulated at 50 meters. IMO it's great you have the 416 in layaway and haven't bought it yet, tell them you've changed your mind and want a 450/400 or a 450 N.E. instead. I use to have a DR chambered in 416 Rigby and from a recoil stand point it will be greater than the 450/400 and feel on equal to the 450 N.E, my as well get a classic DR caliber. Resale value will be much greater also. As a rule stay away from high pressure non rimmed cartridges in big bore DR's you intend to use on DG.
I have two DR's and one of them is chambered in a non-rimmed 375 H&H. I have a Heym in 500 N.E. I use 375 H&H for PG and larger North american critters.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have just bit the bullet, pun intended, and put Sabatti .416 Rigby in layaway. I read the booklet and it doesn't mention anything about the sight settings.

It has three leaf rear fold down 2, sights.

I am new to the DR interest. Just came back from an easy plains game hunt in South Africa, now have the bug.

Help appreciated.

cwasam, normally the range will be stamped on each rear sight for the rance for that sight. The first thing you need to know about double rifle is, The barrels are not regulated to cross at any ringe but are regulated to shoot side by side no matter the range. The regulation you are speaking is the regulation for the SIGHTS, which place the aiming point at the proper elevation at the distance stamped or engraved on the rear sight you are useing, and half way between the centers of each barrel's center of it's group.

quote:
originally by dirklawyer:

Rifle most likely is regulated at 50 meters.

IMO it's great you have the 416 in layaway and haven't bought it yet, tell them you've changed your mind and want a 450/400 or a 450 N.E. instead. I use to have a DR chambered in 416 Rigby and from a recoil stand point it will be greater than the 450/400 and feel on equal to the 450 N.E, may as well get a classic DR caliber. Resale value will be much greater also. As a rule stay away from high pressure non rimmed cartridges in big bore DR's you intend to use on DG.
I have two DR's and one of them is chambered in a non-rimmed 375 H&H. I have a Heym in 500 N.E. I use 375 H&H for PG and larger North american critters.

There is nothing wrong with the 416 Rigby cartridge in a bolt rifle, but it is not well suited to a double rifle, because of the pressure on the one hand, and the fact that it is a rimless cartridge. Any double rifle chambered for a dangerous game cartridge should not be chambered for a rimless cartridge. I agree with dirklawyer that you would be far better off whith the 450/400NE 3".

Welcome to the world of the DRSS!
............................................ BOOM ....................... holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
dirklawyer
you mention recoil comparable to 4500/400ne? I have a pieced together collarbone and thought the 416 Rigby would have less recoil than the other 400+ calibers.
Why stay away from rimless cartridges?
The replies from dirklawyer and macd37 are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re why not Rimless, the whole extraction of the empty case is a bit of a nightmare.

I have a Merkel in 375H&H as a play double and although it is a great gun, I wouldn't want to
use it where I was in a real hurry to reload.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
dirklawyer
you mention recoil comparable to 4500/400ne? I have a pieced together collarbone and thought the 416 Rigby would have less recoil than the other 400+ calibers.
Why stay away from rimless cartridges?
The replies from dirklawyer and macd37 are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

The 450/400NE 3” has far less oppressive recoil than the 416 Rigby in the same weight rifle.

On the rimless cartridge the extractor system depends on the very tiny pawls which are little thin blades that fit into recesses in the extractor bodies, and are held up by a very tiny leaf spring usually, but some are powered by a tiny coil spring.

These pawls must retract into the extractor body as the cartridges are pushed into the chambers so it can snap over into the extractor groove in the cartridge case. This fact negates simply dropping cartridges into the chambers, but must be pushed into the chamber till the pawl snaps into the extractor groove. The flanged (rimmed) cartridge can simply be dropped into the chambers, and the rifle closed.

IMO the rifle is slow to re-load with rimless cartridges. As far as reliablity of the rimless extractor pawls go, they may never fail for years, and they may fail on the first use, and I see absolutely no reason to take that chance when there are so many cartridges that were designed for double rifles. Of course this is only the way "I" like my doubles made, others have the right to have them any way they like as well!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a pieced together collarbone and thought the 416 Rigby would have less recoil than the other 400+ calibers.
Thanks

Get the 450/400 you'll never regret it and as Mac stated in the same weight rifle it does have less recoil.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the information. I have contacted Cabela's to start the process to change.

I have a .375 not DR, and looking at numbers pressure it has higher pressure than 416?

Question> wouldn't the extra bullet weight contribute to the felt recoil being higher in the larger calibers?

again dankie!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sabatti test targets are marked with the regulation distance; my .450 NE says 50 Meters and I assume they all are regulated at that. As for choosing the .450-400 over a .416, you will LIKE the .400. They are very (relatively) mild recoil; the .416 will be significantly more. And as stated, rimless rounds don't belong in double rifles, at least for me.

Posts: 17172 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote