Find
Notify
Tools

My English double, finally
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted
I meant to post this in the Double Rifle section but posted to the Big Bore section by mistake.

Anyway, I just got this W.J. Jeffery in .500 N.E. I'm told the frame was originally color case hardened and I was planning to send the rifle to Turnbull Restoration for that work.

I was hoping maybe one of you gents has a photo of a rifle similar to this one in original condition. I don't want to get too gaudy with the case colors, and also wonder if the hammers, top lever, and trigger guard, etc. should be case colored as well. It weighs in at about 12 pounds and the weight is just about all in the barrels.

And also, does anyone know who actually made these actions, and when this sort of rifle was made?

I'll post a target when I can get to the range as long as it isn't too embarrassing. Thanks!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul,

I used Doug on a few projects over the years, but, respectively I do not like his case coloring on English Guns. Doug's case coloring usually is very "old West" Americana.

I would recommend a guy nearby here in Ellijay, GA, for restoration on this gun. PM me if you're interested and I'll give you his info. His case coloring is perfect for English guns, imo.

I also got your PM's this morning re: rifle shoot. I'm evaluating my schedule and my "necessary" hunting dates to see if I can fit it in this fall. I'm sure we can work something out.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul:
Great rifle. Just missed it by a day. Let us know how it shoots.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Look for some tiny numbers by the forearm hook on the barrels. Chances are that it was built by the Lenard firm. I have a Hollis 500/450 3 1/4 that they did also.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a Greener hammer double on Puglisi's site that has good case colors.

http://www.pugsguns.com/findItem.action?id=1401

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. Looks well restored & I presume the bores are good. I would also agree that the Turnbull CCH is more old western Amaricana.

Thanks for sahring.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I wish you had not mentioned George doing layaways. Frowner

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote