Find
Notify
Tools

VC Azur Safari Eloge
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
If you guys want to see what a Verney-Carron Azur Safari Eloge looks like in the flesh, Ken has one on Guns International. Here is the link:

http://www.gunsinternational.c...cfm?gun_id=100058531

Damn nice gun Ken. Can you give us the particulars, LOP and stuff? If you ever get one of these in a 500 that's not spoken for, call me. I have some trading stock.

Todd, how come you didn't buy one of these? Wink

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Nice gun, but there is something that just doesn't look right about that buffalo engraving. It may be just the way the the picture was taken but to me it looks slightly off.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Looks okay to me!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, that's not Ken's, it was ordered by Larry Friedman in Maryland, who is primarily a shotgun dealer and probably bought it from Ken. He wanted to order a VC with every possible option. Good luck moving a boxlock at $30K.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Holy hell that is a beautiful rifle. That's some of the nicest wood I've seen on a double.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Dave, that's not Ken's, it was ordered by Larry Friedman in Maryland, who is primarily a shotgun dealer and probably bought it from Ken. He wanted to order a VC with every possible option. Good luck moving a boxlock at $30K.

No Doubt. That's a really fine looking DR but way outside of my price range, especially for a boxlock. The engraving looks good to me though. Not a 470 fan however Dave.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Hey, I'm okay with a boxlock. Sorry Ken. Thought was one of yours.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, no problem...we're all used to you being a F'up :-) :-) :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The neck looks too skinny on the buff but the rifle is really nice looking and has awesome wood.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:
The neck looks too skinny on the buff but the rifle is really nice looking and has awesome wood.

465H&H

That was my take on the buff engraving! The engraver just left off the buff's right shoulder area, otherwise it is great. The rifle is a beauteful piece, but like Bieb says 30K is a little steep for that rifle. VC makes a damn nice rifle and are most time properly priced for the product you are getting.

On the box lock thing, eventhough most consider the side lock the top of the line in action design, I simply diagree. I would rather have a box lock with side plates. The side plates make the stock far stronger by sandwiching the wood in the weakest place in the butstock, and better than the hollowed out stock for sidelocks in the same place. Just a personal choice on my part, Nothing more!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
If you look closely at the animal engravings on this rifle, including the lion and elephant, they are only the heads. Not necks and shoulders. Just the faces. That's why the buff's "neck" looks thin.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
That is what I thought too.
Looks like the engraver used a taxidermy pedistal mount as a model. Well done though and there are plenty of classic big bore boxlocks around $30K, so maybe not a crazy price.

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote