New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joh. Springer Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Joh. Springer double rifle that has a factory letter showing it was built in 1923 for a customer named Prince Lubomitsky. It's in 375 HH flanged. It's a beautiful little sidelock double with adjustable trigger, flip up night sight and extensive engraving. I'm located in Dallas, Texas and am interested in selling this double if anyone is interested.

Posts: 29 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 26 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed. Very desirable calibre as well.

Is that a Pinless Sidelock ? it doesn't seem to have any pins on the side plates.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
If interested in local consignment, contact Chris Sells (new_guy here) or Willoughby & McCabe in Snider Plaza. Otherwise, figure out a value and post here or the other sites and see what happens. Champlin in OK might be another option.

By the way, beautiful gun!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3436 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Looks to be a boxlock with side plates. I have one very much like this in 8X57.
The triggers aren't adjustable, they are double set triggers. Push either trigger forward and it sets the trigger to a light pull. A nice feature but don't know of its utility on a 375 but then again, it is sighted to 400m.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see the LH side of that action. I bet it's a side lock because the screw head in the side plate looks like it may be a cocking indicator.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Here is my Springer.
They are excellent guns. Yes, I want the .375 tu2

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, are these guns sidelocks or Boxlocks with side plates ?

Huvius, care to answer ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
here's a picture of the other side of the action and the proof marks on the watertable. I'll have to try the triggers to see if they set. I just thought the trigger pull weight was adjustable.

Posts: 29 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 26 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Does the middle screw in the last set of pics rotate when the rifle is cocked/fired?? Not the large diameter one in the rear or the 'twin' screws forward..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
They are boxlocks with side plates although I have never taken mine apart so I cannot comment on whether there is anything special under the plates. On mine, there aren't any cocking indicators that I have noticed. Will look again today.
Springer did make sidelocks too, all the way up to 500/465 IIRC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
False sideplates are common on Ferlach doubles. Style, artistry, and sometimes downright "glitz" are hallmarks of many of the Ferlach makers.

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
False sideplates are common on Ferlach doubles. Style, artistry, and sometimes downright "glitz" are hallmarks of many of the Ferlach makers.

Springer is from Vienna.
Not sure if the guns were actually made in Vienna or if they just had a storefront there though.
I had heared that Johann Springer apprenticed at Holland & Holland but am not too sure of that either.
Anyway, their guns do have very English lines to them, much moreso than typically styled continental guns.