New
Find
Notify
Tools

NF Cup points in a double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just curious what the forum would say about loading NF cup points in both barrels of a double 470 for buffalo.
Does the cup point allow enough penetration from the left barrel on a going away shot? Again I am talking cape buffalo.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NF Mike told me that cup points penetrate ~20% less than NF flat nose solids.

NF flat nose solids provide almost too much penetration for buff, from any angle.

In my experience, on buff and eles, NF flat nose solids out penetrate Woodleigh solids by more than 20%.

Given all of the above, I think all cup points would be a fantastic choice for buff.

Btw, I have been wanting to shoot a tuskless with cup points - from frontal brain to body shots, just to see how they perform. I hope to get around to it soon. I believe they will work well for tuskless. (But WARNING, Mike does not recomend using cup points on elephants for ANY shot, and I assume the new NF owners would have similar warnings.)

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Easy, I don't think you would be handicaped useing the CPS North Fork exclusivly on cape buffalo. However, it would be easy to load a few CPS loads in a seperate cartridge slip to load in the right barrel,for the standing first shot, or for shooting in a herd where you are worried about pass through, and have a larger amount of FPS loads for shots two,three and four for the going away shots. This way you could shoot the first shot,with the CPS and all the rest with the, how ever many it took, the FPS loads.

I personally use the CPS for everything!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These long solid copper projectiles seem like a real natural for these old english cartridges. There is quite a bit of additional case capacity in the 470 if you use RL 15 powder. Probably still require a foam wad. I really like this concept except the price. Practice with Hornady's.
Appears a potential winner. I would like to see a soild shank front lead core in a 500 gr as well however I suspect NF feels the cup design fills that need in a 470.
Thanks for the feedback!

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
89 gr of RL15 with a foam plug behind a 500 gr NF Cup penetrated nearly 4' of buff.....all 4 shots. Recovered bullets were textbook. Best buuf bullet for a double IMO. Velocity in 24" barrels was just under 2180 fps.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote