Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting gloves
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I rarely have ever shot in gloves but I getting older and my hands are not what they used to be. I am looking for some shooting gloves to protect my hands when shooting my .500 NE...help with grip, protect my fingers, and act as a shock absorber to some extent.

Anyone have any suggestions on which specific ones might be the best?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36866 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I use the Bob Allen gloves. They give you a good grip but are thin so there is not much cushioning effect. Great for dealing with hot barrels though.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if they are designed for the same purpose, but when we fired on the range in USMC we wore a glove that resembled a heavily padded golf glove. It was only on our left hand(shooting right-handed) and its purpose was to absorb the pulse in our hand and to give some cushion to our hand which was tied into the stock, against the foreend, sling swivel and sling. The sling went from the swivel, around our hand then back to our bicep, which the sling was wrapped around. The slings were tight enough that they twanged when the PMI plucked them. We didn't have a glove on our right (trigger/pistol grip) hand. That was back in the day of M-14s. Not sure what they use with the M-16s.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello ledvm,

When shooting my 600NE or 700NE I wear golf gloves. They help control the gun during recoil. (hang on to the rifle) And, even though they are very thin, they eliminate a lot of the "hand-sting" from shooting.

They are not sold in pairs. You have to buy a right-hand (left) and a left-hand (right) separately. They cost about $14 each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...sfk&feature=youtu.be

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2142 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Give these a look. I use them when practicing with my double at the range, as well as winter trap shooting. https://www.gripswell.com/gs12.php

Posts: 1435 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
IMHO, most brands of leather palm skeet gloves will work fine in most weather. Bob Allen and Beretta are good examples.
Many of us have already been through the skin thinning phase and wear such gloves when hunting or shooting at a range.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I use golf gloves,they work surprisingly well.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had trouble with the trigger guard beating the hell out of my middle finger, from big bores and some waterfowl loads...depending on the gun. I bought a pair of these and cut back the trigger finger part. No more problem, as long as I remember to put them on! Wink

http://www.mechanix.com/automo...m-pact-impact-gloves

Andy#3

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I have used Sears craftsman gloves black with little like rubber grippers on them.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy goatskin work gloves at Sam's club. What I get is a bruised index finger from the swivel stud coming back. The glove helps me hold the gun, and protects my finger if that fails.
I tend to grip the barrels instead of the for-end, pretty close to the swivel stud.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the Orvis Shooting gloves for all shooting. They are very thin and stylish, yet really helps with barrel heat.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the deer skin driving gloves from David Morgan.

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone.

Andy #3,

A lot of 3-gunners use those. I think I will try those first and if too bulky try some golf gloves next.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36866 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are shooting in over 100 degrees or below freezing temperatures, I don't see how gloves can protect your hands when shooting a 500NE under normal conditions.It could be best to find what is causing the pain or injury and correct things.One thing I have learned shooting the big guns is not to hold them in a relaxed manner like I would hold a lighter gun and make sure that the butt of the stock is placed firmly against and in the pocket of my shoulder.When I was not careful I have hurt my fingers against the trigger guard,sprained and nearly broke my wrist,injured my collar bone, and bashed my nose with my thumb.Check for correct LOP too.Also, space the shots apart.Shooting two rounds quick is like taking a combination or one two punch.You get spaced out and let your defences down.The 500NE is very much like the 458Lott another mean monster.The secret or fun?? is to learn how to tame the monster.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Put a few shots down range on a hot day and you will understand the benefits of a glove

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the Gripswell gloves. I forget the model. There is a model with heat shields and padding in the right hand. They are fantastic.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Put a few shots down range on a hot day and you will understand the benefits of a glove

Yes I am sure.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are doing any type of shooting reloading drills where multiple shots are fired you will want a glove on your forward hand or a hand guard on the barrels.
The Gripswell gloves look pretty good..

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With you Zephyr.

My 500 3 1/4” barrels used to heat up very smartly!

My 500/450 3 1/4” not quite as quick, but they do get hot enough for a glove.

I think it was Ian Nyschens who wrote how he badly blistered his left hand from barrel heat when he didn’t have a glove on during a battle with a lot of elephants.

He was shooting a 450 No2 IIRC.

DRSS

Posts: 1930 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
It is my shooting hand I am looking for some relief on.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane:

The right hand glove in the Gripswell is indeed padded. It absorbs a lot of the shock.

I have used these gloves on high volume shoots in Argentina. Nothing else compares that I have found.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
If it were only your left hand getting hot or cold, you could consider one of those leather thongs the Brits put around their shotgun barrels ahead of the fore end, to guard against burnt fingers in the heat of the drive.

Posts: 5019 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Lane:

The right hand glove in the Gripswell is indeed padded. It absorbs a lot of the shock.

I have used these gloves on high volume shoots in Argentina. Nothing else compares that I have found.

Thank you Larry.

Looks like exactly what I am looking for. I put in an order for some of these.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried several gloves, finally settled on soft deer skin gloves as the are a bit thicker than goat and add a minimum of padding, but nothing really worked on my hand that went thru reconstruction surgery and was in a cast forever, and was told I may not be able to rope or shoot again..However with extensive pain and making it work I can now shoot and rope, and that's about all I cared about anyway, the only downside is extensive recoil that slams the middle finger will about make me wet my pants, go to my knees and cry for mama. My solution, reluctantly, has been using a muzzle brake on a 338 win and I get by with that..I feel blessed at that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Lane,

I actually use an old pair of fingerless Harley motorcycle gloves. They have a "net" fabric everywhere except the palm side which has a small amount of padding. They work well for double shooting as well as providing a bit of protection grabbing brush, etc. while afield.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just use the same leather roping gloves I use at the ranch all the time and buy at the feed store. I use them in Africa to ward off thorns, rocks and against hot bbls and recoil in hot bird shoots in South America. In SA I add a bit of white athletic tape in certain places. Works for me but then the nastiest thing I shoot is 416 RM.
Past Recoil Shield made some shooting gloves and they work great shooting ugly handguns. I use their shooting pad when sighting in big bores and when hot shoots in Argentina even though I am just shooting my pair of 20 Benelli's. No need to get beat up.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nhoro
posted Hide Post
Late reply, but I use leather gloves - deer skin - fairly often when shooting doubles. I prefer my index finger and thumb to be exposed on both hands - one for trigger and safety engagement, the other for grabbing cartridges for reloading.

The first set I simply cut the ends off the fingers and thumbs. Over time these flared and became a nuisance. The next set I found someone to roll and stitch the leather near the first joint on the finger and thumb. This eliminated the lose flaring, but I shoot left handed and while my 470 is left handed, the triggers are "right handed" - I reach across the back trigger to pull the front trigger. The knot or doughnut formed when the leather was rolled and stitched engaged the back trigger when I pulled the front - firing both barrels at the same time. I didn't fall down, but I had to take a couple steps backwards ....

I still have her roll and stitch my cut off areas, but on the trigger finger, I cut off enough that the entire finger is exposed ....

JEB Katy, TX

Already I was beginning to fall into the African way of thinking: That if
you properly respect what you are after, and shoot it cleanly and on
the animal's terrain, if you imprison in your mind all the wonder of the
day from sky to smell to breeze to flowers—then you have not merely
killed an animal. You have lent immortality to a beast you have killed
because you loved him and wanted him forever so that you could always
recapture the day - Robert Ruark

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member