THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Woodleigh softs for Water Buffalo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh softs for Water Buffalo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to shoot a water buffalo with my Searcy 470NE. Will the 500gr Woodleigh softs do the job?

My friend shot one (2200 pounds), with a 460 Wby and 500gr solids. The second shot went in the hind quarter...exited the chest...and blew dust where it hit the ground in front of the fleeing buff. I watched this on his video. It just seems that the solid might be overkill.

Wouldn't the Woodleigh soft work fine, for well placed shots? I have Woodleigh solids and NF solids that I could load if needed...

I am using 106gr of IMR4831 with the 500gr softs(Butch's regulation load). Don't most of you end up about a grain lighter with IMR4831, when getting the solids to regulate?
Thanks, ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Woodleigh soft from nearly any side shot will do great...

If I had to shoot one going away I would want a Solid, either a Woodleigh or a North Fork.

So I would carry some softs and solids.

When I hunt cape buff I carry a Soft in the right barrel and a solid in the left.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Softs are fine. Shot heaps of Buff with them.

You hardly needs solids, personal choice.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought...
Thank you gentlemen!
ND Smiler

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrodave:
I am going to shoot a water buffalo with my Searcy 470NE. Will the 500gr Woodleigh softs do the job?

My friend shot one (2200 pounds), with a 460 Wby and 500gr solids. The second shot went in the hind quarter...exited the chest...and blew dust where it hit the ground in front of the fleeing buff. I watched this on his video. It just seems that the solid might be overkill.

Wouldn't the Woodleigh soft work fine, for well placed shots? I have Woodleigh solids and NF solids that I could load if needed...

I am using 106gr of IMR4831 with the 500gr softs(Butch's regulation load). Don't most of you end up about a grain lighter with IMR4831, when getting the solids to regulate?
Thanks, ND Smiler

Nitrodave, where are you going to shoot the water Buffalo, Australia or here in the states?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Softs are fine. A solid will just whiz through a water buffalo. While the solid leaves two holes the soft will do more internal damage.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitrodave

Further to my other posts and prompted by Cal's post, you need to place the bullet right so good bullet placement like on all BG/DG is needed.

They can be tenacious bastards sometimes, especially the really big bulls.

I have used solids before and as Cal said, they will go end to end and out.

Now I just use softs and if running away, aim for the hip and break it as this stops them running any further and a full on charge is stopped by CNS bullet placement and calibre, not by what you have in the barrel !!!

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Along these lines, are water buffalo as tough as cape buffalo? I have been told that a .375 would work but is not recommended.

I am taking a 450/400 in July to Arnhemland and was wondering also about a soft and a solid or just two softs.

With cape buff I always do the soft and solid and if the waterbuffalo is in fact just as tough as a cape buff why wouldn't you use the same setup?

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
Along these lines, are water buffalo as tough as cape buffalo? I have been told that a .375 would work but is not recommended.

I am taking a 450/400 in July to Arnhemland and was wondering also about a soft and a solid or just two softs.

With cape buff I always do the soft and solid and if the waterbuffalo is in fact just as tough as a cape buff why wouldn't you use the same setup?

Nothing to stop you using the same set up. I just found I could break the hip
and still achieve stopping big Buff running away.

Haven't shot Cape Buff but from people who have shot both, Water Buffalo
can be as hard to put down. Like anything, you get extremes with both.

375 easily good enough for Water buffalo - I use it for culling as a good combo
of power, bullet weight without too much recoil - plus my 375H&H is easy to handle
and quick to reload.

Anything above 338WM IMHO - not a fan of the 338WM but 9.3 and above is good enough.

I am assuming you will have a PH and back up ?

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
500N I appreciate your insight. Yes, a backup is definately in order for me - Graham Williams.

I always tell the PH that assuming that I accidently glance the bullet off a tree or rock and hit the buff on the first shot then it is "all skate" - the more bullets in the air - the better.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palmer:
500N I appreciate your insight. Yes, a backup is definately in order for me - Graham Williams.

I always tell the PH that assuming that I accidently glance the bullet off a tree or rock and hit the buff on the first shot then it is "all skate" - the more bullets in the air - the better.

You will have fun with him, plus get some BIG buffalo as he has some good country.

Half the problem with water buff is people (including me) shoot them with lesser cals
(in my case 318WR etc) but these are NOT big, 900 - 1000kg Trophy Bulls but cows and teenagers, which although solid and well built are in a different league to the Big Bulls.

So to compare Water Buff and Cape Buff, you really have to compare the old Dagga Bulls to the big Water Buff bulls to get a fair comparison.

Anyway, enjoy.